Advice Needed-pooping in house-only on the rug!

sashahill

Hello,

Only just joined up now whilst doing some research to try and understand what could be the cause of the problem we are having with our 15 month old Shih tzu-Sasha.

We got Sasha from a family off a well known website as there circumstances changed due to work commitments and meant she was being left on her own all day we have had her since the beginning of May.

She settled in really well with the family straight away and we were all amazed how well behaved she was, and still is apart from 2 issues. I will ask later about one of the problems we are having, however any advice would be very much appreciated on this;

Sasha is house trained, and we never really have any problems with her apart from when she is left on her own downstairs, even if we just nip upstairs for 5 mins we come down to a poo on the rug. She has even done it in front of us, but mainly when we are not watching her.

I have never shouted or created any fuss just removed the rug outside to clean up and try and get rid of the smell to hopefully stop it happening again.

I have also binned our old rug and bought a new one hoping that with absolutely no scent on there it would help.

Within days we have found more poo's, and are back to square one. And I'm thinking that ill have to get another rug but as you know-these aren't cheap!

I have tried really praising her and giving treats when she goes outside and taking her out every hour, and she does go...but also still on the rug, nowhere else..always the rug! I wouldn't mind as much if it was on the laminate flooring which is in the whole of downstairs and would be easier to clean!

Any help would be really appreciated, anyone else had any similar issues? did anyone go bankrupt because of the cost of buying new rugs?!

Many thanks

Ryan

Well, it could be worse: she could be peeing on the rug. Given a choice, I'll take poop any day because it's so much easier to clean up!

This is a marking behavior, just as urinating is. I have had a couple of dogs that were utterly reliable in my house, but take them anywhere and the first thing they do if they get out of your signt is go drop a pile somewhere in the strange house. You "fix" it by re-housetraining, and the first step in that is to deny access to the rug unless you are right there. The instant Sasha shows signs of eliminating on the rug, you correct and move her to the appropriate place, then praise and treat after she "goes".

My guess is that the re-training won't take long.

sashahill

Hi Luna,

Many thanks for the reply and advise!

I forgot to add that she has wee'd on the rug, but not on the new one that I replaced it with. Totally agree the wee is much worse-hence the new rug!

My wife did catch her in the act last week and picked her up mid poo and took her outside.

I will continue with taking her out every hour and treating when she goes, and also keep her away from the rug whilst we aren't there to supervise!

Thanks again for the info!

There's a reason most of us have hardwood floors. Just sayin'.

• 2 months later...

So glad to see this topic cuz I was about to create a post. Bosco was so good the first few days, but when he got lost it seems he is scared to go outside to poop. Most walks it's just pee and maybe one poop. The last couple of days he's pooped on the floor once a day. Also, he doesn't bark, whine or scratch at the door when he has to go. That would help soo much. Any and all advice is totally welcomed. BTW he's 9 mos old so is he still in puppy training?

Edited by GMA
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello GMA,

Hope I don't jinx it by writing this, but Sasha has not done anything since I started this post.

I took the advise of Luna and didn't let her anywhere near the rug without me being there, but I think most important is the fuss/praise/treats when they do go outside, and regular walks.

Sasha never barks or scratches at the door to let me know she needs to go, you just get into a routine of toilet times-for example an hour or so after eating, or a wee every hour etc.

I still don't let her anywhere near the rug if I'm not around.

Good Luck :D

I forgot I posted in this thread. Since I last posted we were having great walks and poops outdoors, but this week, well please see my post under pooping in the house. LOL #sigh