How I Was Rescued

fairydustpink89

fairydustpink89

I will try to keep this as short as possible, but this is more than a story about how my shih tzu changed my life or about how my abused shih tzu saved my life.

By very-late September 2010, I had been battling anorexia and bulimia (I was 5ft6in and weighed 75pounds) and had been drinking a bottle of vodka or tequila a day for the last 5 years.

My mother and brother go to a local feed and seed owned by a friend (Bev). They usually go every Friday because my brother likes to play with the store pets (a rescued pot belly pig and bunny) and he also likes to hang out with Bev's very elderly mother.

On this particular day, my brother looked into the storage area and saw a group of men holding down a "thing". He freaked out and Bev immediately told him that someone found a dog on a dangerous intersection in a bad area (the police won't even go near this area). The dog was badly matted and covered in fleas and ticks, shaving "it" was the only treatment available. Despite our house already being filled with "rescued to re-home", my mom brought "it" home.

I returned from late-night classes at around 10. I didn't know about the latest addition until it was too late. I almost stepped on "it" when I came home. I put my hand down to pet her and apologize, but "it" cowardly bowed its head and flipped onto its back for a belly rub. "It" was overly-excited, jumping on me and "it" followed me into the living room.

I chewed out my mother for bringing in ANOTHER animal. We had a cat, a dozen permanently injured frogs, toads, lizards/dragons and other little animals plus my mother's neurotic dog who has seizures when my mom's gone.

Later that night, my mom made a comment that the "thing" was attached to me. It had literally not left my feet since I sat down. It had been cowering in a corner away from everyone all night.

I went to my room around midnight to shower and get ready for the next day. I didn't know "it" had followed me in there until I shut the door and heard it scratch at the door, cry and then pass out (she would later do the same when I left for my classes). I hopped into my bed and heard a super soft whimper. I looked over and saw "it" staring up at me with wide, scared, yet begging, eyes. I have NEVER allowed an animal into my bed, but she was so scared. I scooped her up and put her at my feet. Looking at her I could tell she had calmed greatly. I looked at her and pulled her closer to me saying, "You're such a sweet little pumpkin." She reacted quite positive to that as she excitedly wagged her tail. Pumpkin was what I called her from that point on. She would sleep at my belly all night.

On October 1, 2011, I found out y grandmother, who had raised me, was being hospitalized for a very bad case of pneumonia. The next day, a random interning doctor found a barely-there, tiny mass at the very bottom of her lung being hidden by the pneumonia; my grandmother had lung cancer.

The last coherent conversation my grandmother had with anyone was with me, on my 21st birthday, October 4. She had a stroke the next day and died.

It wasn't until her funeral in Georgia on October 10 that I realized how much I loved that dog, the dog who STILL smelled like a street rat, despite my dog-groomer neighbor giving her baths constantly for me. Pumpkin NEVER left my side (unless there was a lizard or fly, she HATES bugs). I remember drinking a bottle the night I found out my grandmother had cancer. It didn't taste right. Pumpkin filled me with something the bottle couldn't.

In May of 2012, after being with my then-boyfriend for 3 years, we decided I'd move to him (I wasn't working and dropped out of college due to medical problems). Due to Pumpkin and my severe plane anxiety, we would make the cross-country drive from Florida to California. It would take us 5 days due to us being sick and having to stop every 3 hours for Pumpkin (and my cigarette breaks since it was a car rental). We stopped at hotels every night and were told the same thing: Keep the mutt quiet and don't let "it" damage anything. We'd leave the next morning and everyone (guests and staff) were shocked that she had been so quiet and well-behaved.

We eventually made it home. My partner had a cat (Tom, my "stepson") who is very nervous around other animals. Pumpkin, very very eager to play, got a bit too in-your-face, so Tom gave her a gentle swat to her face. From that point on, not only did Pumpkin know her place, but they played every day (chase, hide and seek, etc). That weekend, the cul-de-sac threw us a "welcome home" BBQ. The 3 neighbors brought their dogs (2 shih tzu-chihuahua mix, 1 chihuahua, and 1 toy poodle) and we had a blast! Pumpkin did very good with them and played (I had only seen her get viscous around other dogs, but calm down after smelling them)

I may have glossed over the "rescue" part, but she's changed me. I didn't want a house full of pets. I just wanted my bottles. I didn't want to take care of anything. I just wanted to stay in a blissful, numb state. My dear, sweet Pumpkin is perfect. She refused to be pottytrained, but will only go on a puppypad inside, won't "go" out in the backyard (unless she's sick) but will "go" when we take our walks (good for me because it helps keep me in a better mood).

On February 1 2011, we found out that, despite what 25 doctors told me, we're expecting a new human-sibling for our 4-legged babies! Pumpkin has gotten extremely snuggly the last few weeks (I'm almost 7 months). She refuses to be near me, she HAS to be touching me 24/7. I'm getting her "fixed" ASAP (I wanted puppies, but can't do it now), but when I was 4 months, she started lactating for no reason! The vet says it's just a reaction to my pregnancy.

I do have one last thing to say. To the person/people who previously “owned” this baby, I want you to know that she was in one of the busiest, most dangerous intersections in Central Florida where the cops won't even enter due to the violence and gangs and I want you to know, from someone WITH A HEART, you should die for the abuse and neglect you caused her.

I hope you know that "your" dog is so happy she bounces, that she is so protective of the ones she loves and those who love her, that she is an absolute blessing, that she is the sweetest dog I've ever known, that she is very much well-loved, that she is a remarkable baby. But most importantly, I want you to know that you don't deserve her or any other 4-legged baby.

I can promise you 1 thing. You will never get her back, but feel free to try; I still have the photographs of her matted and infested before Bev had her shaved. I have the very-expensive bill from the vet who told me she had been abused for years, that she had had a bad hip for years and that she had most likely NEVER seen a vet. Yes, my vet will tell you how sick of a “human being” you are. Her tiny healed broken bones will always show the damage you’ve done, her eyes will never forget the many times you hit or kicked her, her heart will never forget the pain you caused her. I honestly hope you find this post and know that someone had the heart to take care of your “garbage” and truly appreciates all of her quirks. I want you to know that she saved my life.

post-3019-0-58142300-1342643215_thumb.jp

What a bittersweet story. I'm so glad your mother took this little one in and it's so wonderful how she has made such a difference in your life. She is beautiful.

Our dogs are little angels just waiting to love us. I am quite sure I wouldn't be here today with mine. Bless you.

Congratulations to you for allowing a little creature to help you change your life like this. There's nothing like being needed to make life worthwhile. Congratulations also on your coming baby. Welcome to Chatter!

Pumkin is a beautiful shih tzu and your so lucky to have her they bring us such love and understanding. My own little girl keeps me going (I am going through a divorce after 19 yrs) and I have to say I love having Chloe to come home to. Bless you for the love and home you have given her.

luvmybabies

Bless you for making a wonderful place that Pumpkin can call home and for giving back to Pumpkin all the love she showers on you. Your story with such a happy ending was nice to read. I feel so bad for all these abandoned dogs and think those who take them in and rescue them are such warm hearted people and will deserve a special place in heaven when the time comes. Thank you for giving Pumpkin a good home.

mom2Gizmo

This is such a nice story. And a few things I can relate to. I myself am a recovered (or shall I say recovering) anorexic. I lost my father to lung cancer. And I also have a rescue shih tzu. So I loved your story. Nothing beats rescuing a dog or any animal for that matter.

Edited by mom2Gizmo

What a wonderful story! Thank you for saving that little girl, so that she could rescue you. Great job on both sides. Glad you are doing better and that Pumpkin is now a happy, loved, social little girl. Congratulations for your new baby!