Compatibility question

Greetings All....I presently own a beautiful Shih Tzu named Simbaa and the most bizarre thing happened today while I was out with my daughters. We were joking about a woman who was walking a Yorkie on a leash while pushing a walker herself. It was the cutest thing because the dog was actually pulling the woman. When we got up to her we said hello to her and said that we were admiring her dog. She in turn told us that she could not keep him and was giving him away. We were a lil shocked and started to walk away when she said no...I cannot keep him because I live in a sheltered situation. She pushed the string that she had him attached at his collar with in my hand and began to walk away. She said he is good in the house and that she wanted for us to give him a home. As she walked off of the sidewalk into the street she turned and said that she named him poochie. Still baffled; I told her God Bless you and walked away with the dog. He has been evaluated by a vet this evening and he has an appointment to be immunized and neutered tomorrow. Now the big part. Both of our dogs are males. The have been playing together great. It was like love at first site. My question is if whether I should be concerned about his play because there are times when he tries to mount my Simbaa and Simbaa has been doing it back to him. This particular behavior is not constant during their romp. I was just wondering if whether anyone else has experienced this with two male dogs.

Thank you all in advance for your experiences.

Marley'sMom

Oh wow! That is so sweet of you to take him in. What a weird experience. I don't know the answer to your question, but I thought I read that it is a normal part of establishing who is the dominant dog. I don't think it matters that it's male/male. I've heard females can do it too.

I have two females and they do the same thing. They do it mainly when they are trying to show who is boss. They have taken over my coffee table and the winner gets to lay on top and the one who got pushed off during the mounting, has to lay under the table. They also do it when someone is playing with their toy and they want the other to know that it is theirs. This is not something they do a lot, just every now and then. I don't think it is anything to worry about, unless it causes fighting between them.

Hope everything works out OK, it was great that you took in the little dog and gave him a happy home.

Drake and Corbin ride each other all the time when they're playing, and they're the best of friends. Actually, all my dogs ride each other: mixed-sex daisy chains are a daily occurrance here. If they are getting along famously now they should continue to do so. You are VERY lucky! And bless for for taking little Poochie in - I am sure you helped the woman and will give the little fellow a wonderful home.

However...he DOES need a new name! ;)

oOShih Tzu LoveOo

Daisy rides Peaches when they play & sometimes just out of the blue. They are both females. It's just a dominance thing.

Thank you all for your advice and for sharing your experiences! I feel much more at ease and we did rename Poochie. His new name is Kovu. :) We will post pictures soon.