1 year old Shih Tzu needs a new home

Mia-Bee-Uh

Mia-Bee-Uh

So I was on Tumblr today and I saw this post made by a woman (who I don't know) who doesn't want her Shih Tzu. (For anyone who doesn't know what Tumblr is, its just basically a blog site) Anyways this is what her post said..I figured I'd show you guys just in case anyone in the Portland Oregon area is interested..parts of her story made me sad so I thought showing you all was worth a shot!

We are looking for a new home for Bennie

Bennie, 1 Yr Old, ShihTzu Needs a Home (97222) Our 1 year old Shih-Tzu, Bennie, (::just turned 1::) is purebred, but no papers, not a show dog, just a pet, who needs a new home. We can talk at length about why this is, but the bottom line is I need to find him a better home than ours.

His pros: He’s microchipped, he’s had good vet care, he is neutered, he’s been indoors with someone at home every day, he’s UTD on Rabies, he’s eaten Blue his whole life, he’s been groomed regularly, he has flea dots, he has a crate, he is poop trained, he likes to play, he’s a lover, he even tries to get along with the cats! He doesn’t bolt, run away, he’s not a “bad dog.” He barks if someone comes into the house, but he doesn’t continue to do it for hours - he settles. He is most content to just be with you, next to you, at all times. We are responsible dog owners. We are not, however, good dog people…if that makes sense. We don’t enjoy him. Really. At all. He has become the bane of my existence.

His cons: If not groomed regularly he will mat up, if not given flea dots regularly he will dig at his hind quarters until he’s red, he’s a nervous pup who licks a lot, he whines if you leave him in his crate just to go into the other room, he’s anxious, and he still has ways of getting past us to pee in our house and ruin the rugs in spots. He also has our 7 year old “buffaloed”. He thinks he can boss her around and he’s getting snappy with her. He scares her and gets aggressive with her. We wouldn’t be afraid of him because we think he’s just trying to be “big and tough” but she’s 7 and I’m a MamaBear and this is simply not acceptable to me, especially considering that we got the dog for the children to begin with. The cats do not like him and have started to express that by peeing on things where they never did before.

Bennie has to go. Period. Bottom line. We have thought about this decision as a family for MONTHS and the day arrived yesterday when we said, “Bennie just has to find a new family.” and our children agreed. Sad, but… this could have a happy ending. Maybe you are looking for a little dog like Bennie. Fencing is easy. He’s a foot tall. He needs a fence big enough to keep him in when he goes out to potty. He doesn’t require tons of exercise. He doesn’t need an active biking/hiking person. He’s kind of a cat dog… except without the good cat qualities.

We are not looking to make money on Bennie. We figure with the vet care and microchip and neuter and Blue and Crate, $200.00 is a super reasonable rehoming fee for a 1 year old ShihTzu. We’re not looking to sell him or profit from him, but regain the expenses of the chip, neuter, food, and crate. If you disagree, please tell me. I’m not in the dog selling business, so I don’t honestly know what people do in these situations. I do know that we’re not breaking the Craigslist terms of service for pets here, so don’t report us or lecture us. We are doing what we think is best for our family and for Bennie within the rules of the site. [EDIT: Despite being within the TOU and TOS for Craigslist postings, it has already been flagged and removed by Craigslist]

Obviously we’ll want to meet people that are interested - I don’t want him fed to a snake or used for something heinous or resold or any of the creepy things you hear about on CL. I believe in the power of goodness and good people and the ability for this site to connect people just like you to people just like me for good things!.

post-3052-0-84449000-1346973353_thumb.jp

What a shame people get dogs who don't have a clue what they need or whether it's right for their family.

Mia-Bee-Uh

Yep I agree. The poor thing is probably going to be put in a shelter.

How tragic for poor little Benny. If I were in the area I'd go see him.

I hope the little fellow finds a good home. Sad that people don't take getting a pup seriously. He's such a cutie.

Sunlite

This poor dog probably needs a good training class and consistency in teaching him whats acceptable and whats not...unfortunately we live in a very disposible society. Makes me angry and sad at the same time but to their credit at least they're owning up to it being a mistake instead of abusing the poor thing. She should probably contact a rescue if at all possible! Maybe reply with this link which is possibly near her: http://shihtzu.rescueme.org/Oregon

Mia-Bee-Uh

This poor dog probably needs a good training class and consistency in teaching him whats acceptable and whats not...unfortunately we live in a very disposible society. Makes me angry and sad at the same time but to their credit at least they're owning up to it being a mistake instead of abusing the poor thing. She should probably contact a rescue if at all possible! Maybe reply with this link which is possibly near her: http://shihtzu.rescueme.org/Oregon

Oh my gosh I'll definitely send her thank link!

• 2 months later...

Awe, how sad. I think the biggest problem with this woman's thinking was that they got the dog just for the children. My husband and I got Dexter for me. I knew that being the Mom that I'm the one who takes care of everyone and everything in the home. Well, my husband is great with taking care of the kids and cooking.

I waited until my children were old enough before getting a toy-sized dog. For one to protect the kids and one to protect the dog. My kids are now mature enough to know how to handle small dogs. Shih tzus and other toy breeds are very fragile and I believe that they're afraid children will hurt them.

Dexter is very sensitive to my tone of voice. And when he does growl or nip I use my voice to let him know I'm not happy with what he's doing. "Dexter, no" and he is very responsive to that. Right now as I'm typing this my 9 year old daughter (the youngest) is in the floor kissing Dex. And he's kissing her back. They're both learning how to get along and love each other. :boomer:

Edited by Dexie

The lady says the dog doesnt need exercise...I think thats the main problem there....The poor dog doesnt get to use up the energy that it builds up, doesnt know what to do and suffers for it....just my opinion