I've had Bosco for a little over a week. Right now there is someone home with him most days but that will soon end. I'm not sure whether I want to crate him or not. So my question to everyone is "Do you crate your tzu or not when you have to be gone for 8 or more hours?"

My other question is if I do want to crate or ex-pen, how hard will it be to train a 9 month old to go in and not create anxiety too much in him.

• Like 1

If I'm going to be out of the house for more than a few minutes, everyone gets crated. I just consider it at safety measure: unsupervised dogs can get into all kinds of things VERY quickly.

Snickerdoodleshumanmama

I had a friend who got one of those doggy playpens for her labpuppy, and it outgrew it so I asked if I could have it. Snickers loves it in there. He has room to move around, but he can't jump out of it. I used to crate him, but I find this to be a better solution. At least it is for my little guy. It all depends on if your little one is a jumper or an escape artist.

• Like 1

I ordered an Iris 8 panel pen and got it yesterday. Unfortunately it was missing parts so I had to order a new one.

I plan to crate during night time and let him play in the pen during the day until he is trained. Hopefully this will work out :)

Or you can do as I have with our new puppies, put both doors together where he can go in either place. It's working great for me! :) I put a blanket underneath the pen and it comes out to where the Crate will sit on it too ( this keeps the crate and pen from moving).

Here is a video that i did with the puppies

Edited by MaryBebo

look at them! they are soooo~ cute!

Do you recommend putting a blanket in the crate while training? Petsmart sales person kept telling me not to put anything in there. He wouldn't even let me look at them :(

It's not a blanket, it's the cover I made for the whelping box and I now cover the bolster bed with it to protect it, It has a whelping pad sewn in. I also have a Whelping pad ( washable Potty Pad) in the pen.

oOShih Tzu LoveOo

Peaches is always in the crate when we leave (she likes getting into stuff) and Daisy is never in a crate. Both were put in a crate at night and when were were not home until they were about 1 1/2 years old.

I have "Pet Dreams" crate covers, beds and bumpers for both crates.

The way I have trained all of my dogs to "like" their crate is to give them treats around it and then put treats in the crate so the dog will go in it willingly. After a few times they should go in on their own. After he goes in, you should shut the door and give treats. I also add a phrase, mine is "go to bed". If you keep doing this they will learn that their crate is a safe place to go, it will be like a den. I'm not a professional trainer but this has worked for both of my Shih Tzus and my Great Dane.

Edited by oOShih Tzu LoveOo

Thanks for the advice ladies. Hubby and I discussed getting an exercise pen when my SIL starts working. Since he is 9 mos old and I don't think he was crated with his previous owner so I'll have to start from scratch with the training.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered an Iris 8 panel pen and got it yesterday. Unfortunately it was missing parts so I had to order a new one.

I plan to crate during night time and let him play in the pen during the day until he is trained. Hopefully this will work out :)

So the second one I ordered also had missing parts.. gave up on this one as of yesterday -_-

I was planning on getting some sort of mat for a pen since our house is mostly carpeted.

Then I was browsing around for a new option and found 54" midwest wire crate. Seems big enough for a bed, water and puppy pad if necessary and it also solves the mat/carpet issue I have.

Has anyone tried a huge crate instead of a pen before? Wondering if I should just suck it up and get a xpen & mat or go with this idea. Also read that wire xpens are not very safe and dogs may jump out of the shorter ones so wondering which pens are actually good.

Any advice? Thank you in advance! :)

I'd go with the big crate.

luvmybabies

I did the big crate thing when my Golden was a puppy and it worked great. I was still working then. When I got my little Maltese last winter I did pretty well the same thing with a pen and put a crate, washable pee pad, food, water and toys in it. The pen was 18" high and within a few days Annie figured out how to get on the roof of her little crate and from there jumped over the pen side and was out and running around. This was a little 2 lb. baby!! My hubby had to use parts from another pen to create a "roof" on the pen. This kept her confined when we needed to do that. I would suggest you get a top for a pen, a pen that is about 4 ft. high or best of all a big crate that will hold the crate he is using plus all the other stuff. Leave the door of his "living quarters crate" open so he can go in to sleep whenever he wants. We recently bought a big aluminum crate with a grooming table top (for shows) and Annie was the lucky one to get to be it's first tenant. I just leave the door open and she goes in if she wants to sleep or wants privacy. It's her safe haven. When we first got her we had to travel 3 days to home so I bought a sleepy pod crate that can be plugged in the car lighter thing or the outlet in the house to keep it warm. When we all go to bed she begs to be picked up to be put to bed (I keep it on my night stand like I did all my other dogs in their crates before they were housetrained) and expects me to zipper it closed. She makes a God awful noise if she wants out so I won't be forgetting to let her out!! Hope one of our suggestions is what you want to do!!

Peanut's Mom

If you have a Homegoods or Marshalls near you with a pet section, they sometimes have great deals on pens. That is where we got Peanut's...regarding your flooring issue, what we did to protect our carpet was buy a large roll of linoleum (sold at some bigger hardware stores or places where you can buy flooring), and cut to fit under his pen. Up until recently we crated for when we were away, and kep the crate in the pen for times when he needed to be confined but we were home. Now he just gets put in the pen when we are away, but still sleeps in his crate next to our bed. We just use a towel in his crate and inspect it often for tears or loose strings.

• Like 1
Peanut's Mom

Sorry, I realized I was a little unclear...we used to keep him in the pen when we were home but needed to have him confined, but he had access to the crate in the pen.

Thank you for your replies ladies!

I went and picked up the 54” crate and finished setting it up last night. I wish it was wider instead of being so tall but I am satisfied with it.

Linoleum is a great idea April, thank you! They suggest using something under the crate since its so heavy so I will use that idea :)

Oh and I will swing by homegoods and marshalls to see if they have any good deals on pens.. cant have too many of those!

I also bought a 22” crate with a divider to use for training. Thinking of maybe getting a size up so we can use it when he is fully grown. What size crates do you ladies use for your adult babies?

I want everything to be ready when he gets here but unfortunately I don’t get much information from my breeder :(

Thank you again ladies <3

I just posted in that I am having a problem with Bosco pooping in the house. I forgot to add that the problem started this week and that my SIL started working this week so this was the first time Bosco has been left alone for so long. So I guess we'll be getting the pen or crate this weekend (though I really didn't want to do this to him :(

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
prarie3071

My 11 year old Gidget was a breeze to train. Of course I was home all of the time, and following her around constantly was all that I had to do. She learned to potty on command, and if I did have to go somewhere I would put her in her crate. Now my newest little angel fur baby, Fancy Rose, is learning to potty outside along side of her big sister. I work full time now, so I've purchased a Graco Pack and Play pen for her to play and rest in while I'm away at work. I come home for my lunch and walk the girls again. Sometimes Fancy has soiled on a wee wee pad that I have placed in her playpen and sometimes not. She is only 11 weeks old, but seems to be learning a lot from her big sister when it comes to pottying on command when we are outside. I've also placed her crate in my bedroom next to my bed and have placed her soft baby blankets as well as a few toys, and am letting her get used to seeing it as well as going in and out of it as she pleases right now. I'm going to start leaving her in her crate for an hour at a time on my days off, so that she knows that mommy comes back and gets her out as I have done with the play pen. I need some feed back as to how I'm managing the introduction of her new crate. Until I know that she is 100% potty trained, as well as safe unsupervised I will continue to crate her. Is this what most of you agree with?

post-16234-0-23176100-1365960680_thumb.j

prarie3071

After re reading the posted comments, I just had another idea to try. How would it work if I blocked off my kitchen (that has linoleum floors) and place Fancy's crate in the kitchen for her to come in and out of while I'm at work? I could put down a wee wee pad just in case she has to go before I get home to potty her outside. This way she is out of the play pen- yet safely confined to an area where she can still romp and play on the floor without destroying hardwood or carpet. I don't want to confuse her with too much change. I need and welcome experienced comments on how to train my pup until her bladder grows a bit more and she is completely potty trained outside. Is there anything wrong with having a wee wee pad down on the floor, even after she is trained to go outside in case of emergencies?

post-16234-0-48501000-1365961595_thumb.j

Actually if she is ok with the crate and the pen, I would leave it at that. Bosco managed to jump out of his pen so he is crated while we are at work and now he goes in with now hesitation (at least when I tell him to go in. DH still has to trick him in there. Now when we are home, and in the family room, he is restricted to the family room, morning room and kitchen. We can see all 3 of these rooms so he can't go hiding to do his business. Kim how did you teach your babies to go on command. I'm still working with Bosco on that. He looks at me like I'm speaking another language LOL

prarie3071

Good Morning Renee. Gidget has spent 9 of her 11 years as a therapy dog in Washington DC and Richmond, VA. Children's Hospitals. Part of her training involved one word commands and hand commands. To train your pup to potty on command- either carry or quickly walk them with their leash to the area that you wish them to relieve themselves and continue saying the word that you use for this act. I just say their name and potty. "Fancy.. potty"... when she finally does her business, then you praise them and give a small treat immediately. My pockets are full of Cheerios, as this is my treat choice. This same system works for all basic commands, such as heal, sit, stay, and down. Once your little boy has this mastered, he will be ready for hand commands. Some trainers use the clicker method for training as well. Your Shih Tzu is very eager to please you, and they learn super fast. Just be patient, and try not to over scold if there is a problem. I've found out how easily they get their little feelings hurt. My 6 year grand daughter has been working beside me with the training of Fancy Rose, and both are enjoying the process. Have fun teaching your sweet little guy. ;) and watch the rewards roll in!

Edited by prarie3071
  • Like 1

Good Morning Renee. Gidget has spent 9 of her 11 years as a therapy dog in Washington DC and Richmond, VA. Children's Hospitals. Part of her training involved one word commands and hand commands. To train your pup to potty on command- either carry or quickly walk them with their leash to the area that you wish them to relieve themselves and continue saying the word that you use for this act. I just say their name and potty. "Fancy.. potty"... when she finally does her business, then you praise them and give a small treat immediately. My pockets are full of Cheerios, as this is my treat choice. This same system works for all basic commands, such as heal, sit, stay, and down. Once your little boy has this mastered, he will me ready for hand commands. Some trainers use the clicker method for training as well. Your Shih Tzu is very eager to please you, and they learn super fast. Just be patient, and try not to over scold if there is a problem. I've found out how easily they get their little feelings hurt. My 6 year grand daughter has been working beside me with the training of Fancy Rose, and both are enjoying the process. Have fun teaching your sweet little guy. ;) and watch the rewards roll in!

Ok, so Bosco is 16 months old now (I got him when he was 9 mos. old). He knows the command sit, lets go and come (most times). I am working on lay down, stay and watch me now. I took him to PetSmart training after I got him and they use the clicker/treat reward method. In class he did everything really well but when he got home it was like I was talking a foreign language. I'm going to continue to work with him. Repetion is the key. Think I'll start a new thread on basic command training to get some questions answered. Thank you so much for your answer. I'll keep trying.
Marlen

Think I'll start a new thread on basic command training to get some questions answered. Thank you so much for your answer. I'll keep trying.

That would be really helpful! As for the training classes, that's why I don't like going to a 'school', I trained Misha myself since I finished a trimester on dog positive training and I've got lots of experience with 3 dogs. The change of environment doesn't help. It's like, if the dog is in the 'classroom' he obeys but you have to re-establish the commands and the training once you go back home. It's much like having to train your dog once again. I prefer the trainers that teach you dog in sessions, in your house and socializing classes in a training center.

Edited by Marlen
  • Like 1
prarie3071

Little Fancy Rose is 12 weeks old today!

post-16234-0-27810000-1366298960_thumb.j

post-16234-0-84178900-1366298992_thumb.p

Marlen

Now, that's one cute little girl! She's going to be so beautiful once she grows up :D