Would Like Your Thoughts on This

ParadiseTzu

We just got a new puppy. I would post pics if I wasnt so technically challenged that it is most difficult for me. I know this is a shih tzu board but you guys are so knowledgeable. Anyway what we have is a border collie/red heeler mix that is around 6 months old. We have had 3 border collies in the past years of dog ownership and knew well how energetic they are. Also remember that we have 10 acres.

We also have neighbors on all sides too and one of them has chickens. We have chickens too but we have ours enclosed so that other neighbor dogs cant get to them. But we are adamant that our dogs DO NOT run loose. That is my reason for this post. I am beginning to wonder if we are asking something of an energetic dog like this that isnt reasonable given what he can see is so much area for him to run on. Both from our property and the surrounding ones. In the past when we lived in a neighborhood with everyone having fences, I never had a problem with any of my border collies. They seemed to be happy in our back yard. One thing tho is we had kids at home then.

So with this dog, he has a fenced in backyard but I take him out 3 times a day to run around in the pasture. I thought that would be great and for the first month (we got him first of Sept) he was so good in the backyard. My backyard is very pretty with St Augustine grass and nice flower beds and potted plants. Before we got him I realized that a dog could wreak havoc in it. But he came and he ran around the yard, jumped all over us to an extreme but didnt bother anything, didnt dig nor chew a thing. I worked hard and have broken him from jumping on me, hubby is still working on that but overall the dog is much better about that. He now tho is becoming a terror in the back yard, Is going from one thing to the next like hyperactive. He digs holes in the yard, the flower beds and is chewing on all the wooden patio furniture. I discipline him but this is going on when I am not out there.

Am I being unreasonable to expect better behavior in the backyard or should this dog be allowed to run free like the rest of my neighbors do theirs? BTW their dogs do not come over to my fence to bother this dog so that he wants to go play with them. Or might he improve with more age and he will be neutered as soon as his testicles drop down.

Sorry for the book but if anybody has any experience with this, I would so appreciate your thoughts.

Edited by ParadiseTzu

We adopted an Austrailian Shepher/Beagle mix puppy a few years back. He was an absolute love but the most destructive animal I have ever owned. With his mix I knew it was a possibility but figured I could train him out of most of it. I was wrong. After he had destroyed half our yard and half our house I admitted defeat and placed him with an 11-year old boy who was doing 4-H handling and it was love at first sight for the two of them.

Aussies and BCs have smilar energy levels, and I think that unless you will be in the backyard WITH him (training, for example) you can expect the destruction to continue. Your other Border Collies were probably kept very busy by the kids and didn't have all that work-driven energy to run off (herding kids, as we all know, is hard work!).

ParadiseTzu

{{{{SIGH}}}}}} That's what I thought, I guess I was just so hoping someone would answer and say they had gone thru that and eventually their dog grew out of the destructive stage. Thanks for responding tho.

To give him credit, he is a very sweet dog, loves attention and does want to please. If I catch him at something, a strong no will stop him and it is days before he does it again. He plays very well with Sassy Mae. If he starts to hop around and get too rough, she jumps at him with a nasty high pitched sound and scares him.

• 2 years later...
ParadiseTzu

I came across this old post of mine today while searching thru the training section. I wanted to give Jaxon credit where credit is due. He is almost 3 now and has been a wonderful dog for a long time now. The back yard is beautiful now even tho he runs around it with all the energy he still has. No digging since I cant remember when. image.thumb.jpg.a018e11d7de64c317701cd3b

• Like 6
PipsMom

Awww What a rare treasure to find a old post then years later come and say he ended up so well! I love happy endings...❤️❤️❤️❤️

• Like 1
Marlen

Oooh, such a sweet baby boy! :D I absolutely love the color! (he seems like a choco/auburn mix lol) 

And Crystal is right, happy endings are the best! :D:hug: