Two MORE Family Holiday Faves!

These as well have to make an appearance annually :)

Mushroom Turnovers

for pastry, combine (I just toss it all in the Cuisinart and process until a ball forms):

8 oz cream cheese (softened)

1 1/2 C all-purpose flour

1/2 C butter

Wrap and refrigerate for an hour.

for filling:

Saute 8 oz. minced mushrooms and 1 lg minced onion in 3 T butter until onion is translucent. Add 1 t salt, 1/4 t thyme and 2 T flour. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 sour cream (I use nonfat Greek yogurt these days and no one has noticed the difference). Set aside.

Roll out half of dough 1/8" thick. Cut as many circles as posible with a 2 3/4" round cutter. Place one teaspoon filling on half of round: brush edges with egg and fold over filling. Seal edges with a fork and prick top. Place on unbuttered cookie sheet and brush wtih reaining egg. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes until golden.

You can do the whole thing up to brushing tops with egg and freeze for up to 3 months. I just brush 'em with egg and throw 'em in the oven frozen - takes longer to bake but easy!

Cheese/Olive Balls

For cheese pastry, combine (I just throw it all in the Cuisinart and process until a ball forms):

1 stick butter

8 oz sharp (cheddar, bleu, etc.) cheese, cut into chunks. We like extra-sharp cheddar.

1 1/2 all-purpose flour

1/4 t salt

1/4 - 1/2 t ground red pepper

Dash of garlic powder

Dash of onion powder

1 t Worchestershire sauce

Chill for 30 minutes

Drain small stuffed manzanilla olives on paper towels. Pinch off about a teaspoon of dough and wrap around olive, rolling into a ball. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes until lightly browned.

Again, these can be frozen before baking and will keep at least 3 months in the freezer.

oOShih Tzu LoveOo

The mushroom turnovers sound amazing! I have everything to make them, I'm going to try them tomorrow, today is my birthday and my Family is taking me out to eat tonight :). I *love* mushrooms so I'm sure I'll like these.

You'll love them, I promise! They take a bit to assemble but are worth it.