How many Canine Good Citizens do we have on the board?

So, Bosco, 3 of my grands and I are attending the Maryland Dogfest this weekend. I'm so excited to attend because there are so many activities and exhibits for us and our baby. Some of the interactive activies are a Dog Olympics - There are 4 challenges like Simon Says. This tests how well and quickly you dog responds to basic commands like sit, lay down, etc; Eat anything - they are going to give the dogs apple slices, cherries, broccoli and more; Musical Canine Chairs - Owner and dog must sit wihen the music stops and Canine Willpower - how long can your dog hold out eating a hotdog once you have given the wait command. Then there is a just for fun Agility course and the Canine Good Citizen test. Not sure if I'm going to let Bosco take the test because I have not worked on his training in a few weeks. Here are the ten tests they must pass:

Test 1: Accepting a friendly stranger

This test demonstrates that the dog will allow a friendly stranger to approach it and speak to the handler in a natural, everyday situation. The evaluator walks up to the dog and handler and greets the handler in a friendly manner, ignoring the dog. The evaluator and handler shake hands and exchange pleasantries. The dog must show no sign of resentment or shyness, and must not break position or try to go to the evaluator.

Test 2: Sitting politely for petting

This test demonstrates that the dog will allow a friendly stranger to touch it while it is out with its handler. With the dog sitting at the handler's side, to begin the exercise, the evaluator pets the dog on the head and body. The handler may talk to his or her dog throughout the exercise. The dog may stand in place as it is petted. The dog must not show shyness or resentment.

Test 3: Appearance and grooming

This practical test demonstrates that the dog will welcome being groomed and examined and will permit someone, such as a veterinarian, groomer or friend of the owner, to do so. It also demonstrates the owner's care, concern and sense of responsibility. The evaluator inspects the dog to determine if it is clean and groomed. The dog must appear to be in healthy condition (i.e., proper weight, clean, healthy and alert). The handler should supply the comb or brush commonly used on the dog. The evaluator then softly combs or brushes the dog, and in a natural manner, lightly examines the ears and gently picks up each front foot. It is not necessary for the dog to hold a specific position during the examination, and the handler may talk to the dog, praise it and give encouragement throughout.

Test 4: Out for a walk (walking on a loose lead)

This test demonstrates that the handler is in control of the dog. The dog may be on either side of the handler. The dog's position should leave no doubt that the dog is attentive to the handler and is responding to the handler's movements and changes of direction. The dog need not be perfectly aligned with the handler and need not sit when the handler stops. The evaluator may use a pre-plotted course or may direct the handler/dog team by issuing instructions or commands. In either case, there should be a right turn, left turn, and an about turn with at least one stop in between and another at the end. The handler may talk to the dog along the way, praise the dog, or give commands in a normal tone of voice. The handler may sit the dog at the halts if desired.

Test 5: Walking through a crowd

This test demonstrates that the dog can move about politely in pedestrian traffic and is under control in public places. The dog and handler walk around and pass close to several people (at least three). The dog may show some interest in the strangers but should continue to walk with the handler, without evidence of over-exuberance, shyness or resentment. The handler may talk to the dog and encourage or praise the dog throughout the test. The dog should not jump on people in the crowd or strain on the leash.

Test 6: Sit and down on command and Staying in place

This test demonstrates that the dog has training, will respond to the handler's commands to sit and down and will remain in the place commanded by the handler (sit or down position, whichever the handler prefers). The dog must do sit AND down on command, then the owner chooses the position for leaving the dog in the stay. Prior to this test, the dog's leash is replaced with a line 20 feet long. The handler may take a reasonable amount of time and use more than one command to get the dog to sit and then down. The evaluator must determine if the dog has responded to the handler's commands. The handler may not force the dog into position but may touch the dog to offer gentle guidance. When instructed by the evaluator, the handler tells the dog to stay and walks forward the length of the line, turns and returns to the dog at a natural pace. The dog must remain in the place in which it was left (it may change position) until the evaluator instructs the handler to release the dog. The dog may be released from the front or the side.

Test 7: Coming when called

This test demonstrates that the dog will come when called by the handler. The handler will walk 10 feet from the dog, turn to face the dog, and call the dog. The handler may use encouragement to get the dog to come. Handlers may choose to tell dogs to "stay" or "wait" or they may simply walk away, giving no instructions to the dog.

Test 8: Reaction to another dog

This test demonstrates that the dog can behave politely around other dogs. Two handlers and their dogs approach each other from a distance of about 20 feet, stop, shake hands and exchange pleasantries, and continue on for about 10 feet. The dogs should show no more than casual interest in each other. Neither dog should go to the other dog or its handler.

Test 9: Reaction to distraction

This test demonstrates that the dog is confident at all times when faced with common distracting situations. The evaluator will select and present two distractions. Examples of distractions include dropping a chair, rolling a crate dolly past the dog, having a jogger run in front of the dog, or dropping a crutch or cane. The dog may express natural interest and curiosity and/or may appear slightly startled but should not panic, try to run away, show aggressiveness, or bark. The handler may talk to the dog and encourage or praise it throughout the exercise.

Test 10: Supervised separation

This test demonstrates that a dog can be left with a trusted person, if necessary, and will maintain training and good manners. Evaluators are encouraged to say something like, "Would you like me to watch your dog?" and then take hold of the dog's leash. The owner will go out of sight for three minutes. The dog does not have to stay in position but should not continually bark, whine, or pace unnecessarily, or show anything stronger than mild agitation or nervousness. Evaluators may talk to the dog but should not engage in excessive talking, petting, or management attempts (e.g, "there, there, it's alright").

I kinda already know that he probably won't pass quite a few of these tests, but I think it will motivate me to work with him to pass it. I'll post pics when we return.

• Like 1
Vicki

That sounds like lots of fun! I don't think any of my dogs could pass any of the tests you mention, other than Ebony might do well in the "Eat Anything" competition.

Hope you have LOTS of fun!

Vicki

Edited by Vicki
  • Like 1
Marlen

I wish I could go there! It sounds pretty amazing. However, let me tell you Misha would fail the test. He would try to lick the person that approached us to death, he'd try to lick anyone who petted him and crawl on their lap. He handles grooming and an examination from anyone but he'll lick them till he drops dead. Well, he does come when called and normally he ignores other dogs or anything else that might happen, even when dogs are barking, he will never bark. As for the supervised separation...A couple of days ago my father was walking Misha and I was walking down the street, heading to the metro station. Well, Misha saw me, he went crazy and he was crying when I left, he refused to budge from his position, my dad had to drag him back in the house. I like the test. but, I don't like the last part. What kind of dog will not care if a stranger holds him and the owner walks out of sight? I don't see it happening with our babies, they just love us too much :D Ah the only time Misha behaves is when he meets elderly people, then he's a perfect doggie and if the evaluator was 70+ Misha would probably have good chances of winning lol Renee, totally go for it! I'm still training Misha for the Pets in action festival and I will show him there. It's not a matter of beauty or showing the breed standard (after all it's not an FCI contest, just an owners meet up and get to know each other, plus I doubt Misha is a good example of a Tzu, he's within the standard but...) just having fun working with him and he'll also enter an agility contest (at least I know he'll ace that ^_^ )

• Like 1
BellaKatie

We have a smilar test in the UK, use to be one test, but now they have bronze, silver and gold tests. The bronze seems less involved than the one you mention. There is also a class at shows now for dogs that have attained at least the bronze award.

I would like to attain at least the bronze with Katie our shih tzu.

Wether she wants to is a different matter!

Markella, that's exactly what I think about Bosco. He's so wishy washy with commands. Oh and he is a total licker. You would think I had smeared my hand, leg or clothes with doggie treats. Sometimes I feel I have to start from scratch with training.

John I find it so fascinating how differently our countries approach basically the same thing with our babies.

I'll let you all know what happens and post picks after the event.

Edited by GMA

The only dog in my house who might...possibly...pass the CGC is Stephan. The Shih Tzu, Jack and SiddaLee would all fail miserably. They wouldm however, all EXCEL at the "eat anything" competition.

LOL, not you too Pam LOL. There are classes offered to train our pups for the test that I may sign Bosco in one after we try the test Saturday (or at least watch other dogs take it). I'm really interested to see him run the agility course to see if we should pursue competing.

Renee', it's my understanding that Shih Tzu love agility and excel in it...on their own terms, lol. I have mentioned before that there are VERY few obedience-titled Shih Tzu in the US: there are a number of agility-titled Shih Tzu but those owners tell me they don't know what to expect from one run to the next, let alone one DAY to the next. One friend posted a video of her dog running a course flawlessly at first, only to fly OVER the platform (even though the owner tried to block him), then jump back up on it through her legs and do his down, lol. He then ran over to say "hi" to the evaluator before finishing the course perfectly!

• Like 1
Marlen

Lol, well, so far Misha hasn't had big accidents, he's doing it the right way. One day he won against a Belgian Shepherd that an acquaintance of mine has. But, there have been days he didn't want to move a single bone/muscle and he was looking at me as if saying "Hey lady, if you want to try it go ahead and run, I'm not doing it that's for sure". Obedience has me pulling my hair :melissa: lol :D

Oh dear! This will be a very interesting weekend then. Markella, I can just see Misha looking at you like that. LOL

Marlen

Ah, with the high temperatures here he looks at me like that every day when I mention 'let's go for a walk' and he's like 'Wah! No way!' :D I swear he all but finds a place to hide! But Renee, thanks a lot for mentioning the test and the different parts of it, apart from training for the show, I decided to start training him for the test as well. I know, it's not like we can take the test but I like working with him and I'm sure a lesson in good manners would be appropriate for my little 'jump and lick' - 'please pet me, I'm here' monster ^_^

Edited by Marlen
  • Like 1
luvmybabies

My first Tzu was the first dog I tried obedience with (Charley) and he did very well with it but hated shows. After he got his Novice title I let him stay home and got my first Maltese. She did very well in Obedience and Rally and was my first Canine Good Neighbor (that's what we call the test in Canada). I have two Tzus (Connor and Benji) and they compete in Rally (Connor has got one obedience title so far too). They and three others of my crew all have the CGN title too. I tried to get my little 3 lb. Maltese's CGN this spring but she cried when I left her with a stranger so I will have to work on that. She did all the other tests perfectly. I know obedience and rally isn't everyone's "thing" but I do enjoy seeing how smart little dogs are. Tzus are very trainable (I do admit that Benji has been a challenge though, not because he doesn't have the brains but because he loves people and other dogs and gets very distracted at shows). At home in familiar surroundings he learns his exercises very fast! We always have to work on building his "attention span" as he is like an ADD dog at shows!!

Joyce, I call that "bright-shiny-object syndrome", and all my Tzu seem afflicted with it at shows!

Renee, thanks for posting the CGC requirements. I was thinking of getting Zeedo trained as therapy dog and I think passing CGC is a requirement. They can only test after a year though. I know he will fail 5 and 9 for sure. He loves people and just has to follow and greet everyone he meets. He is also extremely curious and wants to investigate anything new - so distraction is going to be hard to overcome.

Have fun at the show this weekend. I'm sure a Tzu will win the "eat anything" competition. Waiting to see pictures...

• Like 1

OMG what a wonderful day we had. As promised here's the blow by blow. My granddaughter and I arrived at about 10 am this morning and Bosco was his normal totally excited to be there dog. He wanted to take off and run after every dog that walked near us. So my early day was spent trying to control a dog that wanted to pull us all over the place. Now, let me also begin by saying, I do have some pics but not of everything (I'll have to get those next year :() But I do have pics. So first we watched an exhibit of Air Dogs. These were dogs who can jump in the water to fetch a stick and bring it back. It was something that owners could participate in with their pups. I didn't try Bosco because I didn't know whether he could swim or not so they would allow him try. We then went to an exhibit of flying discs display. These dogs were jumping in the air and catching Frisbees like nobody's business. There was a building that was strictly for adoptions by area shelters and rescue groups. Why did I see the most adorable beigeish 1 year old poodle who was about the size of Bosco (so tempting but not without DH agreeing). Oh I forgot the vendor building. LOL so many leashes, toys, beds, trainers and more. I decided not to buy until we walked around a bit. We then visited an exhibit for KC (or AKC) Rally. The group there has classes that trains dogs for Rally competitions. Bosco did really good. We basically just walked round the course. He followed the course with little to no hesitation. (hmm something to think about) There were a couple of seminars on training we sat on and competitions for the best costume, best owner/dog look alike and cutest dog. The winner was really so cute 4 mo. old parti yorkie I believe. The MC was trying to burn time so he announced an ugliest dog contest for anyone in the audience. One girl with a pug with pointed ears and funny face volunteered, a little boy who was in the look alike contest bought his dog on the stage. He had a toy poodle who had a Mohawk hair cut and uneven eyes. They needed one more dog so I took Bosco up. Now before you look at me side eyed, Bosco was looking kinda wild with his beard, mustache and hair all over the place LOL. He won a 3rd place ribbon with the pug winning 1st place. While we waited for the Dog Olympics to start, we visited the Canine Good Citizen test building. I was just going to watch when the volunteers persuaded me to give it a try (after all it was free). So I signed him up. I was so sure that when we got to the sit and down test, he was going to fail. Well to my biggest surprised, that little booger went down on command for the first time ever. The next test I thought would be the end was the sit or down stay and I walk away. That took about 3 tries but he did it. He also stayed with the tester without barking or fidgeting. He was around other dogs in the testing area without trying to get to them and when they dropped a metal chair on the concrete floor, he flinched but recovered very fast. SOOOOOOOO, guess who passed his CGC test with flying colors.........BOSCO. We will be getting his certificate in the mail.

Now the Dog Olympics Bosco handled the Snoopy says contest very well untilllll it came to Snoopy says lay down. Guess who didn't go down this time without assistance. So he won a 2nd place ribbon for that one. Somebody needs to tell me who says Tzus eat every and anything. Bosco was one of the first eliminated on that contest because he wouldn't eat the apple piece. We then lost canine musical chairs (mommy wasn't fast enough). Then there were too many of us who managed to keep there dog from eating a Beggin Strip on command. To break the 4 way tie, they told us that the first one to finish the strip would win. Well apparently Bosco does not like Beggin Strips or he was either too hot or too excited to eat it. LOL So from the Olympics we walked away with 1 2nd place ribbon. So for the day Bosco has two ribbons to display.

to be continued...

• Like 1
Vicki

Oh CONGRATULATIONS on Bosco getting his CGC!!! What an accomplishment! You should be so very proud of both him and yourself!

CONGRATULATIONS also on all your other wins. That is amazing and sounds like so much fun!

Wish we had events like that around here.

Can't wait for the continuation......

HUGS!

Vicki

Marlen

CONGRATULATIONS to both of you! :D That shows how much you've worked with him Renee! You must be so proud of your little man! And I bet you had a fun time, watching all the shows and winning the ribbons (even 2nd place, which is great) ;) Well done!!! woot_jump.gif

Congratulations on that CGC! And of course on Bosco's other ribbons. :)

chrdso

Congratulations to you and Bosco! CGC is an awesome accomplishment that not many dogs achieve.

Looks like it was an awesome fun-filled day for both of you. Wish we had such events near by. (I used to live in MD and loved it there).

Sorry to take so long to finish. The only thing I didn't mention was Bosco trying the Agility course. I remember last year he was a little afraid of the obstacles and had to get some major coxing. Well he did very good yesterday. So much so that I'm looking at enrolling him in classes so he can compete. Here are some pictures of him in the Agility course:

Coming through the tunnel - He was taking his sweet time

post-4167-0-49690200-1372641499_thumb.jp

At the top of the ramp getting ready to go down the other side

post-4167-0-45761300-1372641514_thumb.jp

On the teeter-toter

post-4167-0-17172000-1372641528_thumb.jp

Weaving through the sticks. He was really good with that without a treat (he wasn't eating any treats that day)

post-4167-0-25549200-1372641543_thumb.jp

He managed to jump over 2 hurdles with out much problem, but the last one had artificial tree stuff rapped around it so he need some assistance

post-4167-0-25382800-1372641572_thumb.jp

Jumping through the hoop. No problem there :)

post-4167-0-67420500-1372641582_thumb.jp

It was rather hot yesterday and after we got home my baby just laid around all evening. He wouldn't drink much water (just a little here and there and they had pools of water all over the place). I was kinda worried, but when he woke up this morning he was his old self.

Thank you all for the congratulations. I plan to do more Rally and Agility competitions after some formal training.

(I just noticed that some of the pictures were cut off at the bottom :(. Here's the picture of him after jumping through the hoop.)

IMG_20130629_121118_zpsaaaa7140.jpg

Edited by GMA
  • Like 1
Vicki

How neat! Was that agility course just for playing around on or were you in the competition?

Love the addition to your signature too! Again, CONGRATULATIONS!

Vicki

Vicki, it was just for playing around or trying out to see if owners were interested in training for competition. I'm going to look at all my reading material to see which school to take him to in order to start this competition journey. We're going to try agility and rally.

Marlen

It all looks so nice and I bet Bosco had fun :D No wonder he got tired though, after all the running. Again, Congratulations and I love the new signature!

luvmybabies

Congrats on getting Bosco's CGN title!! I'm so proud of you guys. I am so happy you went to this event and learned what "performance events" were all about. Sounds like you got bit by the bug of competing! You will find that once you start training that there will be a really strong bond between you and Bosco as he will actually be communicating with you. Shows are so much fun too. I almost wish I could go back to the beginning again and experience everything all over again, LOL.

• Like 1
Luna

Renee, BEFORE you start training seriously you need to be sure that Bosco's knees, hips, shoulders and spine are OK. If he has issues with any one of the them, concentrated training can cause problems and even cripple a dog. Your vet can do basic exams and if he has any concerns can refer you for OFA testing that is more concrete.