Any Silky Terrier moms out there?

JRMMJONES

Ok, so we've been doggie sitting for a while now. And Katy (the one we are sitting) goes back Saturday. Presley has LOVED having a 2nd dog in the house, and I have quite enjoyed it as well. So... there is a woman here in Texas looking to rehome her Silky Terrier because the maintenance is too much for her. She requires special food and meds for IBS. I am trying to find out more about the medical issues, and food issues. So I do not know yet what we will do. BUT... anyone here have any experience with Silky Terriers?

The Silky Terrier was created long ago by crossing the Yorkshire Terrier with the Australian Terrier, and although Silkies are often mistaken for Yorkies (and vice-versa) they are more like the Aussies in their temperament. You can learn a great deal about the breed by visiting the website of the Silky Terrier Club of America, if you have not already done so:

http://silkyterrierclubofamerica.org/

They are very energetic little dogs and - like other Terriers - can be a bit aggressive if they are not bred, raised and trained properly. I actually perfer them to Yorkies, but I don't think I would ever own one: all the Terriers are a little nutty for me, lol.

As of the IBS, we have had some members who's dogs had to deal with this in the past. You might search Chatter to get their information.

I've been around some Silkies before. I would say that half were nutjobs, and half were angels. But the IBS.. that's a new one to me. I realize, that wanting my next furkid to be a rescue, means that there's a good chance there will be some kind of issue. And I'm ok with that, to a certain point.

Many (if not most) rescues do have an issue or many, but - as in everything else in life - some are more severe than others. A shy dog that doesn't care for children is one thing: placed in a quiet adult household with little or no exposure to children, that dog will be fine. A dog with a life-threatening condition (like IBS/IBD) is a much greater commitment. Even a dog who's symptoms are controlled by medication and/or diet may relapse at any time, and often the dog's life is shortened. Now, does this mean the dog should not be adopted? Absolutely not, but it DOES mean the dog must be adopted by someone who has a very comprehensive knowledge of the disease, its processes and its treatment.

I you decide to adopt this little one, you already know that everyone here will be supporting you both. If not, you know no one will blame you. Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

• Like 1