HELP, Zeus has started marking all over the house

So Zeus has started marking all over the house. its not that he needs to potty and isnt going out. he will do it when I just let him in from going potty and I know he went. This started about a month ago. I dont know what to do to stop him. I cant follow him around everywhere he goes, by the time I know he is doing it its too late. I cant spray that blocker stuff, because I would literally be blocking the whole house. he dos it anywhere and everywhere,

Any ideas?

I'm sorry I don't remember this but is he neutered or not? If he's not then...you know I'm going to say to neuter him right? ;) And even if he's doing great with Athena (I realise he started marking before she came home) he's going to mark more since she's in the house. I'm afraid I don't have any good advice, Misha was neutered early. I don't know if he would have started marking, but the neutering pretty much prevents that behavior. I'm sure someone here will have great advice for you :)

• Like 1
Sophie's Haven

My Bailey....the male of the paws has a problem with marking. His thing is as long as everything is in its place fine but move a piece of furniture, set down a grocery bag, leave your shoes not in the right place, when we first put up the christmas tree, when I sort my laundry ect. he will lift his leg. So I made him some belly bands that he wears when he is in the house durning the day to avoid the dribble.

• Like 2
Pawz4me

He needs to have a urinalysis done to check for a UTI. That's always the first thing that should be done when a previously trustworthy dog starts having accidents in the house. And since you say all this started a month ago, I'm assuming prior to that he was trustworthy.

• Like 1

Can't remember whether Zeus is neutered or not either, but if not that would be one step to take. You will also want to check to see if he has a UTI as Paws4Me recommended. In any case, you will have to re-train.

• Like 1

So Zeus has started marking all over the house. its not that he needs to potty and isnt going out. he will do it when I just let him in from going potty and I know he went. This started about a month ago. I dont know what to do to stop him. I cant follow him around everywhere he goes, by the time I know he is doing it its too late. I cant spray that blocker stuff, because I would literally be blocking the whole house. he dos it anywhere and everywhere,

Any ideas?

So, so sorry to hear this. Living with a dog that marks isn't any fun!

My Panda is a marker and always has been from the day I brought him home. He was almost nine months old when I got him and I've aways thought the marking was probably the reason he'd been abused in his previous home and then sold to me. I actually witnessed him getting a rather harsh beating from his previous owner the day I bought him. I felt so sorry for him and just couldn't stand the thought of leaving him there. So, now I just deal with it here.

I've tried every no marking spray that has ever been made, to no avail. I've cleaned every single spot he's ever marked on and removed all scents as well. Parts of my carpeting are so stiff from all the baking soda I've put on spots it crunchy to walk on. My dark brown furniture has white spots all over it where I've cleaned it so much that I've removed the dye from it. Trust me, there are no scents left around here.

I tried a remote control collar on him and installed cameras all over the "dogs" area so I could watch him remotely. The collar would emit a sound and/or vibration when you pressed a button remotely.

Next I tried a device made for kids with bed wetting problems. The device would make a loud sound whenever it felt dampness. It actually worked as it was supposed to, but the sound didn't phase Panda and it absolutely drove Ebony nuts.

I talked to dog therapists and they didn't have any suggestions that I hadn't already tried (other than neutering) and that wasn't an option at that time, and I really think it was too late by then.

After almost four years of dealing with this, I have finally resorted to just keeping a belly band on him all the time he is inside. So, I guess for the rest of time, I will be changing his "diaper" frequently. I've even lined the belly bands with Poise Pads to help absorb his marks.

He is in such a habit of marking, that he frequently marks even when you're watching him; though he certainly does know better.

If the doorbell rings, he will immediately mark on the end of the couch whether you're there or not.

Verbal scoldings do work when you're there to do so, but the minute he's left unattended, he'll do it again.

When I catch him in the act, I usually put him outside or in his crate. However, he loves doing either of those.

I've tried leaving him soaking wet in a belly band and that just makes for a bigger mess for me to try to clean up when grooming him. He can get really stinky!

You probably can tell I'm at my wits end with him. I've just run out of ideas but would certainly welcome anything new to try!

:weeping::crying::weeping::crying::weeping::crying:

Vicki

• Like 3

WEll researching I think tis because of the new pets in the home. It started at about the same time we got Arwen, our new kitty, and then now Athena. Its gotten worse over the past week, so im thinking he is feeling a bit insecure because of the new puppy. I still give him lots of attention, but understandably with a new puppy in the house she gets alot to,a n so he is having to share attention, an he isnt use to that yet. WEll mainly attention from me. the cat is more my daughters cat and spends most of her time back in the bedroom with my daughter or my son in law. But Athena is out with me an I do the major care taking of her. Research I did says that can cause it. they also gave a few ideas, which it sounds lie you already tried Vicki, but hopefully will work for him.

Oh and Zeus has been neutered since he was a few months old. which makes it even weirder.....lol

I wil have him checked for a UTI as well. better safe then to be sorry.

Edited by Rteddy

Oh Vicki, I didn't know the situation was that bad! Adopting a dog at an older age (yes, even if he's just 9 months old) is always a "risk" if you don't know what he's been through. I know you must have taken him to the vet, so he's healthy. I guess some dogs mark. Throughout my life with dogs (I've had two other males) none of them had marked, except my first one. He was a 3 year old rescue dog, and he wanted to mark his space, so I knew what he was doing and it only was for a couple of times.

The belly bands are an excellent idea but still not the optimal solution. I don't know if you had Ebony when he got home, but I believe that he's affected by the fact that there are so many other dogs in the house, especially since I remember he was "scared" of the puppies. As for when people come over, he's associated the bell ring with the marking on the couch. All that is good in theory however, when I took those classes, there was a lack of info for marking and solutions for this problem :(

I only know of one other thing that you might not have tried and it's similar to the collar that emitted sounds. It's called the pet corrector. I haven't tried it, I haven't researched it, I have no idea if it works but it claims to help with a variety of behavioral problems, not sure if it would help with marking. http://www.companyofanimals.us/products/dog-training-and-accessories/stop-barking/pet-corrector

In general, Panda's problem might have a solution but it would require him being the only dog in the house, so that you could focus only on him and his behavior. And, that's not easy to happen... -_- Vicki, all I can say is, hang in there! I wish I could help more. :(

As for lovely boy Zeus, yep, I hadn't associated the new kitty with his problem. He probably feels stressed and wants to show the house is his :P or something similar. I hope he'll stop once he's reassured that all is well and nobody's threatening his space and claiming his "mommy" ;)

• Like 1
Sophie's Haven

Robin your problem with Zeus made me think of a situtation that happen to a friend of mine. Her ex-husband has a male yorkie and he is about 2-3 years old. My friend for what ever reason moved in with the ex-husband and with in a day the yorkie was marking !! After a week the relationship with the ex was not what she had hoped it would be and she moved out.........the yorkie stopped marking. My Bailey has been nuetured and is potty trained, he just happens to dribble when his mood sets him off. I am sure it has a lot to do with the abuse he indured before he came to me, he has been doing this since he came here and all the attempts of trying to break him of it was uneventful. Have Zeus check for UTI to check that off your list and go from there.

• Like 1

Everyone has given some great advice. Here's my 2 cents. There is a spray at the Pet stores I belive it's called No go. You can try to spray the areas he frequents most and see if that will stop him from going.

• Like 1

WEll researching I think tis because of the new pets in the home. It started at about the same time we got Arwen, our new kitty, and then now Athena. Its gotten worse over the past week, so im thinking he is feeling a bit insecure because of the new puppy. I still give him lots of attention, but understandably with a new puppy in the house she gets alot to,a n so he is having to share attention, an he isnt use to that yet. WEll mainly attention from me. the cat is more my daughters cat and spends most of her time back in the bedroom with my daughter or my son in law. But Athena is out with me an I do the major care taking of her. Research I did says that can cause it. they also gave a few ideas, which it sounds lie you already tried Vicki, but hopefully will work for him.

Oh and Zeus has been neutered since he was a few months old. which makes it even weirder.....lol

I wil have him checked for a UTI as well. better safe then to be sorry.

I had missed the part about the new kitty! A new pet in the house certainly could have been the trigger. I'd get a belly band of some sort on him immediately to save your house and furniture. They're simple to make too, doubled fabric (I used flannel) about 4--5" wide (after doubling) and several inches longer than the girth of your dog. I used velcro to secure mine, but snaps or even safety pins will work in a pinch. I also used Black fabric to blend in with Panda!!! Any kind of fabric will work in the mean time. Even an old dish towel and safety pins until you can get something better. They get used to them too! Panda waits after coming in from outside with his tail wagging until I get his band back on him.

I sure hope you do get this worked out for Zeus and don't have to go through this like I am.

HUGS!

Vicki

• Like 1

Oh Vicki, I didn't know the situation was that bad! Adopting a dog at an older age (yes, even if he's just 9 months old) is always a "risk" if you don't know what he's been through. I know you must have taken him to the vet, so he's healthy. I guess some dogs mark. Throughout my life with dogs (I've had two other males) none of them had marked, except my first one. He was a 3 year old rescue dog, and he wanted to mark his space, so I knew what he was doing and it only was for a couple of times.

The belly bands are an excellent idea but still not the optimal solution. I don't know if you had Ebony when he got home, but I believe that he's affected by the fact that there are so many other dogs in the house, especially since I remember he was "scared" of the puppies. As for when people come over, he's associated the bell ring with the marking on the couch. All that is good in theory however, when I took those classes, there was a lack of info for marking and solutions for this problem :(

I only know of one other thing that you might not have tried and it's similar to the collar that emitted sounds. It's called the pet corrector. I haven't tried it, I haven't researched it, I have no idea if it works but it claims to help with a variety of behavioral problems, not sure if it would help with marking. http://www.companyofanimals.us/products/dog-training-and-accessories/stop-barking/pet-corrector

In general, Panda's problem might have a solution but it would require him being the only dog in the house, so that you could focus only on him and his behavior. And, that's not easy to happen... -_- Vicki, all I can say is, hang in there! I wish I could help more. :(

As for lovely boy Zeus, yep, I hadn't associated the new kitty with his problem. He probably feels stressed and wants to show the house is his :P or something similar. I hope he'll stop once he's reassured that all is well and nobody's threatening his space and claiming his "mommy" ;)

Yeah, my Panda has been a real pain! He has been tested for urinary problems too. I already had Ebony too when Panda came to live here. Up until the puppies were about three months old he also had constant access to outside via the doggie door; yet still marked! Panda moved in here already with the marking problem, so it wasn't something he developed here. Panda marked for years before the puppies came along too, so I can't blame it on the newest additions. I've sat Panda down and had a number of heart to heart talks with him about his nasty habit trying to explain it to him. He knows he shouldn't do it, but just seems to do it unconsciously.

I did check out that Pet Corrector. (THANKS for the link!) One would have to be there constantly for something like that of even having a chance of working. I doubt I actually see him do it more than once a week. I just know by the wetness of his band that he does it many times a day.

I've thought about finding him another home with a complete disclosure of his habits. I just can't see putting his problems in someone elses hands. I've also thought about keeping him crated as they do show dogs with only having outside time a few times a day and no indoor time. I just can't bring myself to doing that either; so I just "hang in there".! He really is a cute dog and can be so silly at times!

SIGH.....

Vicki

• Like 2

The worst male marker in my house is Gus, who was neutered at 8 months and NEVER lifted a leg in the house...until Drake was about 6 months old. With 3 intact males and 2 intact females in my house (the girls are worse about marking than the boys, actually), the lot of them are confined to the kitchen, garage and run when out and crated otherwise. They all "know" that they aren't "supposed to" mark...but they do it anyway the second my back is turned.

• Like 1
Sophie's Haven

Belly bands are easy to make. I took a picture of Bailey and his collection. You do not have to have them fitted they just seem to fit better. The one's in the stores are range from $10 to $17 dollars. I made mine for less than $3.00. Like Vickie's Panda, Bailey waits for his to be put on when he comes in from outside. He will turn and back up for me. It saves us all a lot of stress and he still has the freedom of the house without the mess.

post-42911-0-69465200-1392082712_thumb.j

post-42911-0-28384400-1392082727_thumb.j

post-42911-0-80509900-1392082737_thumb.j

• Like 3

Nice work Jeannine! I didn't take the time to make mine fitted as I was just anxious to get them on Panda as quickly as possible.

Mine are all solid black to match Panda's coloring in that area. From a distance, you can't even tell he has one on.

Close up, it just looks like he's wearing a girdle!

At this point, I really don't care much what they look like as long as they continue to do their intended job! :rolleyes:

Vicki

• Like 1
fairytalephotog

Poppy marks sometimes. He loves to mark in my bathroom on the bath mat. It has a very strong scent. Almost skunky like the scent my male cat Mojo used to leave when he sprayed. Do dogs spray? I always thought they just urinated to mark. The scent is so strong I will have to wash the bath mat 2-3 Times to remove the scent.

Edited by fairytalephotog