Housetraining update... HELP

JRMMJONES

So, Presley is 16 months old... and still not housebroke....

I am literally at my witts end. We purchased crate big enough for her bed and a few chew toys and her. She is ok in there. She has pooped only once in it because we were not able to get home in time to put her out due to weather. But she pees and poops DAILY in the house, and I take her out constantly when I am home. She will pee outside then sniff around for 20 minutes and not do anything, then start digging a hole. She refuses to come to me when called, even though I remain calm and do not punish her. I treat her when we go back inside. If shes been crated, she is taken out before allowed to play, and she is taken out before being crated. I have NO idea what to do. She will NOT let me know when she has to go out. And she will pee in front of me. No hiding it. We shampooed carpets yesterday. Took her outside, she did BOTH... brought her in, and she crapped on the carpet. She is hyper most days, and I literally want to pull my hair out. I do stay calm and never yell at her or anything. I play with her every night, and she does give great cuddles, but seriously... I'm at a loss here. She butt scoots constantly, though her glands are not clogged and she doesn't have worms. She's so hyper that I had to shave her down... ALL OF HER but her tail, because brushing her 3 times a day was not keeping her mat free. Like she seriously needs to calm down. I considered getting another dog, but not anymore. I can barely handle her. UGH...

HELP ME!!!

I don't know what else to do. Of course, we're not going to get rid of her or anything, she is like a child to us.. a turdy adhd spoiled rotten child... But a child non the less.

Oh, almost forgot... Mom's new shih... completely housebroke... shes only 5 months old. Totally trustworthy. Chaps my hide because I trained hers for her. Did the same thing I did with Presley... aarrrgh

Edited by JRMMJONES

You might consider having a trainer come to your home to work with you and Presley. I've known this to work for a number of people!

JRMMJONES

Where we live there isn't one. My option would be to drive 2 hours to a trainer. I have thought about tethering her to me. Just putting her harness on her and where I go in the house, she goes. She always goes off into another room to mess, and if she was near me she might stop. I hate putting her in her kennel longer than absolutely necessary. Last night I carried her and held her all evening. The ONE time I put her down... she peed, about 10 feet from me. Then she just stared as I cleaned it up. However, late last night she DID bark at me and run around my feet when she needed to pee. I suppose I could literally start all over, like an 8 week old puppy, but seriously, she might have a coronary and start crapping absolutely everywhere.

Has anyone ever used a leash to tether the dog to them in the house to keep them out of trouble? This morning I gave her lots and lots of cuddles and snuggles and she repaid me by digging to China. in 28 degree weather, in the mud. So I had to wash her paws off in the sink. Then she got more snuggles.

The tethering is EXACTLY what my trainer had me do with my first Pom decades ago...and it worked! Give it a try.

JRMMJONES

I just got off the phone with my groomer. She has 2 dogs that she has trained for therapy dogs. They have all sorts of certificates and all that jazz, the good citizen stuff. Anyways, she said she has grandkids next week for spring break, but the next week, she will take Presley and do a week of training in her home. And I am to start the tethering tonight and see if I can get some improvement before we take her. She is in town, and I did not know she did that. No wonder her dogs always amaze me when I am over there, lol