frustrated - 2 years later, still horrible at walking

How hard are you tugging? They can take a quick but meaningful jerk without harm. Also, when you are tugging give a stern no in your deepest voice. No treats with out positive actions. Don't even use it to lure her to move. Everytime she stops to just look or wait on something, tug and give that stern no command. At 2 yrs old she is just being a stubborn teenager but you have to be the more stubborn mom. Especially to these girls. Look at the human family and see how the mother/daughter relationship is compared to the father/daughter relationship. Our furbabies are the same way LOL.

ok this is what I think I want to do. I know I keep changing it but I needed your feedback to decide on it all.

- "Let's go" and Click - for corner distractions and full on stopping. Eventually hopefully Let's go will work one day with no clicker.

- General Good Walking by my side - Kibble.

- Stopping and waiting for people - put liver in front of her nose.

- Home training using Let's go. I think I will say Let's go and then treat. Have her sit then say let's go and then treat again. <----Is this okay. She isn't distracted at home so don't want to use clicker but rather teach her or remind her of the Let's go command.

I should not repeat commands and talk alot less on my walks than needed.

I stop if she pulls to go to a tree etc.. <----------this by the way has been working fantastically.

Have I covered everything? Anything I should change? Thanks so much you guys by the way. You are really helping me. I know I may need a trainer but I want to try and exhaust all possibilities first.

:)

Edited by cous0226

Looks like a good plan. Only change I would make is if you train her in the house to sit next to you then say let's go without the clicker, you should not use the clicker outside. Use the same method o training consistently and you will see progress. If you want to use the clicker, use it inside and out. We are praying for your success and patience getting there :D

• Like 1