Hello again,

We have had alfie for 5 days now and every day he gets more adorable. The thing that is now confusing me is his pooping. When we first got him he was on dry food and did not poop for the first 2 days, i put that down to nerves being in a new house and when he did go it was like king kongs finger! He doesnt seem too interested in dry food and was not really eating which worried me so i have started to introduce a top of the line sensitive stomach wet food which he wolfs down mixed in with some dry food, He is fed at 7am then taken for a 20 min walk at 8am then fed again at 6pm, out for walkies at 8pm and i normally dont return home till he has pooped. Last night he pooped within 5 mins of leaving the house but tonight it took a couple of hours of walking till he dropped a present. Will alfie develop a predictable pooping sequence or will it be a case of me walking around my neighbourhood in the rain till he finally goes?

Thankyou for reading my long winded question :)

Marlen

Well, a dog's pooping depends on a lot of things. Like exercice, the kind of food you feed, how much you feed etc. If you keep to a schedule you will see a pattern. For example, Alfie might be ready to poop in three hours after he eats. So, you know when to expect him to drop a present :) It would be good for you to try making "go potty" into a command. Trust me, if you keep repeating that when your dog goes to potty, he'll eventually associate the words with the act :P He might not go on command, but he'll know what you expect him to do. :D

Pawz4me

I know it's aggravating, but I would try not to worry about it too much right now. I just read your other post (welcome!) and see that he's been through lots of changes in his relatively short life. Understandably, he's probably still a bit nervous and stressed. I'd give him at least a couple of weeks to settle in. It takes most dogs at least that long to start feeling fairly comfortable and relaxed in a new home.

Most healthy dogs that are fed on a consistent schedule do develop consistent potty habits. So . . . patience.

Luna

Well, a dog's pooping depends on a lot of things. Like exercice, the kind of food you feed, how much you feed etc. If you keep to a schedule you will see a pattern. For example, Alfie might be ready to poop in three hours after he eats. So, you know when to expect him to drop a present :) It would be good for you to try making "go potty" into a command. Trust me, if you keep repeating that when your dog goes to potty, he'll eventually associate the words with the act :P He might not go on command, but he'll know what you expect him to do. :D

I just HAVE to insert a funny story about pooping commands here. Years ago, a woman brought me a darling little Westie to groom. After I had done her pads and nails, I said, "What a GOOD girl you are!" She immediately pooped on the table.

Well, that happens so I cleaned it up and went on. At the end of the groom, I gave her a kiss on the nose and again said, "What a GOOD girl you are, Amanda!". whereupon she promptly crapped on the table again. Now that, was strange (since she had behaved so well during the groom and wasn't at all stressed).

When Mom came to pick her up, she asked how Amanda had been, and I said, "Oh, she was just wonderful! She did poop on the table a couple of times, but that was it." Mom blushed a little and asked, "Did you tell her she was a good girl?" I told her I had. She looked at the floor, shuffled her feet, and said, "Ummmm...I forgot to tell you that when you say "GOOD girl" it's her signal to poop."

Story over, most dogs become pretty predictable pretty quickly.

• Like 3
Pudgy_Bailey

That's a funny story!!! If only mine could poop and pee on command..that'll be a cool trick :D

Of my dogs, bailey has the most predictable schedule, early morning, noon and night. Her schedule didn't change much since coming home. The other two go in the late afternoon or evening after dinner.

They may not have predictable timings, but I think the predictability of location is more important. Hahaha! Mine always poop in the toilet, a gross encounter for guests but very good for me since there won't be poop everywhere in the house :) And a quick trapping in the bathroom is their signal to go, I should add a command to that.

Funnily, I always thought dogs poop once a day, that is before bailey. She poops more times, each time with the same amount as the other two dogs. I guess they're like humans too, each with thir own poop schedule.

Thanks for the replys. I guess its just a case of taking mental notes and hopefully in a few weeks he will settle into a nice routine.

And the story of the westie pooping was brilliant!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
Twinkleboots

I am reading all of your comments as I am on day 4 with my 10wk old Lewis! Definite ups and downs with the toilet training. When I take him out, no poo or pee. Wait, wait, wait. Come in - pee and poo on the floor. Ugh! Other times, I take him out and he pees straight away. Other times he pees on the pee pad. So we are all over the map. So much for my one week at hime to train him!

• Like 1
Vicki

Potty training does take time and persistance. Give that to him and it will happen.

Look at your week off as bonding time with your adorable Lewis. That is SO important too!

Vicki

• Like 3