ShihTzusAreCute

As I've mentioned before, Lexie LOVES frisbees.Up until now, she has only played with a big frisbee designed for humans. And when I say she played with it, I mean to say I genlty gave it to her to hold for a couple of seconds(until it got to heavy for her to hold). I felt bad for her because she loved it so much but I simply did NOT want to risk an injury so I didn't really let her play with it. I have ordered apropriate frisbees for her(soft materials, designed for dogs, smallest sizes I could find) and I was wondering if you think I could teach her to eventually catch them like other dogs do?( I intend to do my research to make sure Lexie is always safe). Does anyone have a frisbee catching Tzu?

• Like 1
Marlen

Misha likes to play with frisbees :D It's really safe for her to play with, as long as she's supervised, because Misha's a chewer when it comes to plastic and the frisbee didn't stand a chance of surviving if left at his mercy lol :P Just, get her excited for it by showing it to her, shaking it in the air, get her to jump a bit to catch it and then throw it in a small distance. If she manages to catch it, start throwing it further and further :) I hope you'll both enjoy the experience :D Playing with them is always such fun ;)

• Like 1
Sophie's Haven

Allie is my Frisbee chaser.........she will just chase after it. I have a small paw Frisbee which is still to big around for Allie to carry so she drags it. But she loves chasing after it. The rest just lay and watch. Mine will only play with toys in the house and not outside........why that is I have no idea. Also they have to be in the mood.......I have a few that will play fetch but again it is when they want to not when you want to.

• Like 2
ShihTzusAreCute

@ Markella yes, it is really FUN to play with them and really HEALTHY as far as I know.I mean , you also excercise by running around with them and I know scientists did some studies and they found that people who own dogs(and are responsible and walk and care for the dogs properly) live around 3 years longer than non dog owners.How cool is that? I am sooo excited for the summer, I can't wait for the finals to pass so I can shower Lexie with attention(worry not, right now she is being showered with attention by my parents)!!!

@ Jeannine that is so interesting to hear, Lexie plays indoor and outdoor I didn't really notice a preference as long as her favourite toys are present(she is in love with balls, frisbees and stuffed toys-which she doesn't really get because I worry about her eating stuffing).

• Like 1
Sophie's Haven

You know over the past 5 years of all the toys (3 toy boxes full) I have only had one toy come apart. Sophie does not play with toys she likes the live 4 legged toy to which she has her pick of the 6. The rest of them play and some play rougher than others but have not had any issues with the toys coming apart. Plus the toys go through the washing machine OFTEN!! I have to admit the nylon bones never come out of the toy boxes..........no one likes them. Bailey loves to take plastic bowls and run them on the floor like a hockey puck, very noisy though. Speaking of toys it is time to go pick them up.......wish I could train them to do it.

• Like 2
Vicki

I've tried getting my five to put their toys away every night too. Still to no avail!

They're sure good at getting them out of the toy box though.

Animal Cracker and Ebony are in charge of getting IN the toy box and digging to the bottom to find just the toy they're looking for.

Usually before they get back out of the toy box, someone else has stolen it from them.

It's so much fun to watch!

Vicki

• Like 3
ShihTzusAreCute

Oh my God!! I am not the only one who has tried(and FAILED) to train her Tzu to put the toys back in the box at the end of the day??? :roflmao: Oh well, I think I shouldn't hold my breath for Lexie to suddenly become less stubborn :) Anyway, I actually have to throw away some of the toys these days because they are completely torn apart(I am sorry I didnt take a picture if the soccer ball Lexie wrecked in two weeks, it was quite a sight)...Good thing I have new toys arriving tomorrow :D

Your Tzu are so hilarious, I love hearing your stories, I wish I could have a bunch of Tzu but I know I couldn't handle it and it wouldn't be fair to them because of that.All my admiration to all of you who succesfully care for more than one Tzu!

• Like 2
Vicki

You're certainly NOT the only one that's tried getting them to put away their toys. We've had a number of conversations about it before.

You wouldn't believe the pile of toys I get next to my sewing machine (that's the Hospital Waiting Room) awaiting "stitches". Toys get wounded around here at least weekly.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother since they have so many toys, but it just always seems to be one of their favorites they chew up.

Most of the favorites are pretty much without stuffing now-a-days (which is good)!

Right now there's only four in the Waiting Room! :)

Vicki

• Like 1
Sweet as Taffy

Taffy likes to play fetch. I should get a small frisbee and see what would happen.

I rotate toys so we usually have a few each day. I didn't have to train Taffy to pick up her toys at the end of the day. She usually puts her toys in her bed. I think of a mythological dragon hoarding her treasures in her lair. It's so funny/cute LOL.

ETA: forgot to say that Taffy also brings to her bed any other "treasures" she finds such as socks, hats, blankets, clothes etc..

Edited by Sweet as Taffy
  • Like 2
Sophie's Haven

Allie has to take her special ball to bed with her at night.......sometimes we have to hunt for it......I have tried turning out the light in hopes she will forget that it is missing and a few minutes will pass and I hear a thump.....she has jumped off the bed and is in search, so up I get to help her locate said ball. We manage to find it and get back to bed and she is one happy paw and starts her sucking and off to sleep she goes. Bailey has a favorite Moose take he brings to bed with him, along with Lexie that has a very long fuzzy christmas moose that she has to bring to bed..........as soon as all is asleep between the hubby and me they get tossed to the floor........it is bad enough that we have to fight for space let alone give up room for a stuffed toy.

• Like 2
ShihTzusAreCute

@Sweet as Taffy Yeah...Lexie doesn't have much to do with her bed, she is mostly in mine or my parents' even though she has had a bed since we first adopted her at nearly two months old. She does have a thing for socks just like Taffy though
@Jeannine that's hilarious(ok maybe not for you since you have to go hunting every night).

Lexie likes to sleep on anything that/s ours.Is there a sock in the floor while Lex is trying to find a place to take a nap? Well there she will nap. She sometimes naps in the oddest places.

The pics are bad quality because I didn't want to wake her and I didn't have a good camera on hand.

WP_20140224_001.jpg

post-10471-0-66998300-1402466459_thumb.j

Edited by ShihTzusAreCute
  • Like 3