Is this normal?

Metalwire88

I recently rescued what people are telling me is an 8 month old Shih Tzu. What I am wanting to know is this...is it normal for her to be biting hard when she plays? It seems to be more than playful but not fully vicious. She just got spayed about 2 weeks ago and she is back to doing it now. She bites while playing and when she gets real excited. She also chews on her crate when she believes its time for her to come out. Once she is out of crate, she doesn't chew on anything but her toys and people. Is she still teething? Thanks for any help.

Sophie's Haven

Do you know anything regarding her background? She may have been tought to play agressive to which you can be stern and put a stop to that. My Lucy has been with us for over a year and she is very agressive when she plays and she is getting better but still has times when she gets rough. She is guessed to be about 3. I beleive teething stops between 6-7 months for some paws but some may go longer. Have you taken her to the vet for a check-up since you have gotten her? I would have the vet check her mouth to be sure everything is okay. Some of my rescues due to poor diets and being left in cages for long lenghts of time most of their teeth are missing. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking in a rescue, and if all it is, is agression just do tough love and let her know she is doing wrong. The crate issue....... maybe she was kept in one for long lenghts of time, one of my rescues was from a puppy mill and she has teeth missing from trying to escape from her crate. It could be a number of issues to which you can get under control. Welcome to Chatter!!!

• Like 2
Metalwire88

Thanks for the info! I just took her a couple weeks ago to have her checked, spayed and all of her first shots. Her teeth look great and are very strong and sharp. The reason I worry about her aggression is because my other dog is also a rescue and she is deaf. She gets scared very easy. She was actually getting ready to be out down and we rescued her. I guess nobody else wanted her cause she was deaf and they read all of the misinformation online about deaf dogs.

• Like 2

I expect your puppy was never properly socialized as to bite inhibition. You can retrain, it will just take a bit and she may still bite harder if she is excited.

I saw one of the tv trainers tell the owners to say Ouch loudly and in a high pitch. Sometimes a stern ah-ah or No bite should also work.