Please pray for this puppy

Yesterday, my grands, kids and Bosco went to the summer carnival at the Humane Society. Though there were no ferris wheels or merry go rounds, they did have games and pony rides. While we were there we looked at the adoptable dogs. There was a shih tzu in the lobby that was turned in as a stray. Bosco went to the crate and was trying to greet her but alas she wouldn't respond. I was told later that they had located her owner and they were going to pick her up (they have until Friday :) ) So we walked in the holding area and saw some amazing dogs that were either available for adoption or pending availablility. I passed this one cage and saw the most pitiful sight I had ever seen and fell in love. His name was Dribble and he was a minature poodle mix. His owner had surrendered him the day before. I can't tell you how angry I was when I thought about the treatment this baby had endured. I told the kids that all he needed was some love and a grooming. He was not available to adopt until he was evaluated by the vet. So I filled out the paper work to start the adoption process as soon as he became available. Here's a picture of Dribble (sorry it's not too clear)

f04dddc3-e310-4279-8364-b0cd6c39a091_zps

As you can see he was just matted and on the other side there were patches of fur missing. I wanted to just show him we weren't all bad owners. So paperwork is in deposit is down. Just waiting for the Vet whom I assumed would not be there until Monday. By the time I returned home, I was getting a call and the caller ID said Humane Society. The volunteer said that the vet came in and examed Dribble and said that he had too many health issues and will never be up for adoption. We were heartbroken. She did not say what they were going to do to poor Dribble so that is why I asking for prayers for him. I fear they may euthanize him because I did offer to foster him.

I guess it wasn't my day to adopt. :(

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

Bless his little heart...........It is sad to say but your fear is right..........but Dribble will cross the rainbow bridge and he will be free. A few years ago they listed a Tzu in our area that was at the Humane Society and she had just been turn in and she was so matted and she appeared to have some health issues, but she was so sweet. I was told she needed to be check by the vet and then I could proceed to go thru the adoption. I called a few days later and was told due to her health issues they put her down. The owners of Dribble should have surrender him sooner and he could have had a second chance in life. So sad........this breaks my heart !!!!!

• Like 1
Vicki

How sad. I'm so sorry Renee that this happened. I bet your "kids" are really upset by it too.

How can people allow things like that to happen...

HUGS!

Vicki

Luna

How very tragic. I really can't imagine what some people are thinking!

• Like 1
Scout's Mom

That is so sad....

Who's to say he had to many health problems and could not be adopted? I would like to know what his health problems were. If the person adopting the pup had the money to take care of him, then I don't really see the problem. But if he was terminally ill, then I could understand.

I remember years ago I went to the animal shelter to adopt a puppy. I had visited with him and was ready to adopt. I had him in my arms and a worker came and took him from me and said the puppy was not adoptable because one puppy in the kennel had gotten sick with distemper and I would have to choose another from another kennel. I found out later that they put the whole kennel of puppies to sleep and they had not even gotten sick. They were running around playing. It was about 10 puppies. It put me in a severe depression.

I will say a prayer for this pup.

Edited by mel

Thank you all for your prayers. I found out that they did put him to sleep and Mel his issues were terminal. They did'nt go into details.

• Like 1
Sophie's Haven

I think the reason why they do not give a person an option to take the pet from the HS is more of a legal issue. I know that I personally would not go back after the HS for any extra expenses that may occur that they did not tell me about over and above what was wrong with the pet, that would be a gamble that I would take, but not everyone thinks that way. I don't think HS wants to go thru all the red tape to advoid this from happening and it is best just to put the pet down. That is why people with paws need to turn their unwants over to Rescue Organizations as they are taken care of until the time comes that they pass over the Rainbow Bridge. I am sure the owner turned there paw in knowing very well that he was sick, but the cost of having to put a paw down is very expensive when you go thru a vet and they could not afford to have it done. I think it is another one of those money making deals again. We have a vet in our location that charges $125.00 to put a paw down, all it is a shot in the front paw, the owner goes thru enough grief as it is, now he has to pull out money that puts food on the table for his family........what is he going to choose? The HS or the vet!!

• Like 1

Normally our HS is a no kill site and they send their overflows to Rescues or foster sites. The thing I hated about seeing Dribble was his whole apperance. The matted coat with missing hair patches and his general look of total defeat. His owner should have turned him in months ago. But I must say you are proably right about the legal aspect. I too was ready to take on whatever poor Dribble needed.

• Like 1
Sophie's Haven

One thing that I found out that just because a HS states that it is a NO KILL some after a period of time which I believe is 30 days if the paw has not been adopted, claimed and has not been placed in foster care (which at our HS is only purebreeds) then they are transfer to another vacility.............were there time runs out!!!

Debi Tzu

How very sad. Just breaks my heart.

Marlen

I'm so sorry to hear about this sweet pup....How can someone neglect those sweethearts. May he rest in peace...

• Like 1