Twinkleboots

So Lewis has been home 3 nights now. He is 10 weeks old. He's been sleeping well in his crate, getting up twice a night to go potty outside then back to sleep happily. Today my husband's colleagues told him we should leave him to cry at night or he'll always want to get up. That doesn't sound right does it? Surely he can't be expected to hold his little bladder 9 hours already? What do you guys do?

post-61318-0-43788600-1404865658_thumb.j

post-61318-0-03180700-1404865670_thumb.j

• Like 1
Scout's Mom

I was probably getting up at least twice a night when my dog was that young. As she got a little older she was able to sleep through the night just fine, I think it is just all part of the potty training process. That was my experience anyway. :D

• Like 2
Pawz4me

No, it's not right.

A puppy that age can't hold it all night long anymore than a baby can stay dry all night.

As he gets older he'll only need to go out once a night, and then not at all. Thankfully, that usually happens pretty quickly.

ETA: Letting him "cry it out" at night is an almost guaranteed way to teach him it's okay to soil his crate.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 3
Vicki

I agree with Pawz4me that 10 weeks is way to young to be expected to "hold it" all night long.

My guys were still nursing at 10 weeks and using the whelping box as a bed with an exercise pen attached with pee pads somewhat covering the area inside the pen.

(I know, I know, Shame on me!)

Limiting liquids (a little) before bedtime helps some. (At least it does with ME.) :whistling:

Vicki

• Like 2
Sophie's Haven

I agree with everybody above............he might be bit young to hold it all night. Limit his water intake early evening. Every paw is differant.........Sophie was 12 weeks old when we got her and she was able to go all night without having to get up, Lexie was 12 weeks also and was able to go 6 hours.........but I also limited there water early evening. Now Allie is 3 and with the weather being warm she has to get up durning the night..........thank goodness for pee pads otherwise the whole gang would want to go outside and mess around in the wee hours. :sleep_1::sleep_1::sleep_1::sleep_1::sleep_1::sleep_1: Allie is very quiet when it comes to the rest of the crew, does her potty and them comes and wakes me up :weeping: to get back in the big bed.

• Like 2

Every puppy is different but 10 weeks is a bit early to expect them to "hold it" for 8 hours (although I do have one dog was was able to...but he's really, really smart and was completely-and-forever house-trained in a week). By the time a dog is 5-6 months, they should be able to hold their urine for at least 8 hours.

• Like 1
Sunlite

The general rule is a puppy can only hold their bladder however many months old they are plus one. Soa 2 month old maxes out at 3 hrs. Hope that helps.

• Like 2