Peeing inside. Thinks outside is for play

Twinkleboots

Ugh.... We spend 20 min a time outside in the grass. Nothing. Come inside - and he pees! Every time today. What gives?

• Like 1
Twinkleboots

No. He still hates the leash. I bought a smaller one today. He growls at it and attacks it!

• Like 1
Pawz4me

You need to work on leash training (see posts in other thread) so that you can take him out on leash. Left to their own devices outside, puppies often find much more interesting things to do than take care of bodily functions. So much more interesting that it doesn't even occur to them to pee/poop. If you can leash them up and walk them around, then going outside becomes a much more purposeful activity. Plus you can work on getting him to go in the same smallish area. Once you get some smells etabliished in that area, the smells will trigger him to go again. Once he does his business the leash comes off and he gets a few minutes of play time (so the running free play time is his incentive/reward for doing is business).

• Like 2
Twinkleboots

You need to work on leash training (see posts in other thread) so that you can take him out on leash. Left to their own devices outside, puppies often find much more interesting things to do than take care of bodily functions. So much more interesting that it doesn't even occur to them to pee/poop. If you can leash them up and walk them around, then going outside becomes a much more purposeful activity. Plus you can work on getting him to go in the same smallish area. Once you get some smells etabliished in that area, the smells will trigger him to go again. Once he does his business the leash comes off and he gets a few minutes of play time (so the running free play time is his incentive/reward for doing is business).

THANK YOU!! Excellent advice!

• Like 1

Another thought is when you do get him leashed trained and take him out to potty, you can train him that that is all you are going to do on that walk. Once the business is done, bring him back in. Later you can take walks for exercise. I have almost trained Bosco to go on command. When we go out in the yard, I say "go potty" and he'll go to his favorite plant or garden spot and pee then turn in circles in another spot and poop. I need to find a new area to train him to go.

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

Renee....your post is my goal!! I hope to get Molly to this goal. Just have to get her to just pee and or poo just once while outside!

• Like 2