Twinkleboots

Lewis HATES the leash! I have 3 different ones. He really hates them. I have a collar for him as well as a harness. No luck. He growls and attacks it.

Vicki

Most puppies hate the leash initially, but leash training is a necessity. Just keep at it and he'll eventually understand.

Giving tiny treats for walking ahead might help, or a favorite toy.

Vicki

• Like 4
Jo-Anne

I agree with Vicky, in the beginning they don`t like it. Make it fun to go out with liitle treats at the right moment. I put the harness on the ground so that he can step into it, fasten it, leash is allready on it en go, good luck! AF1DogE003.gif

Edited by Jo-Anne
  • Like 2
Pawz4me

Of course he does. Few puppies enjoy being restrained in any way. You have to teach them to like/tolerate the leash. Puppies here drag their leashes around inside. A lot. So much that they get to the point that they don't even think about it.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 3
Sophie's Haven

My suggestion would be is to add the leash to his collar and let him wear it in the house when you are around. It is called Tough Love, you do not give in.........one day he will suprise you and go on like he is King of the Leash!!! Your the boss, he is the little darling. I know you want him to be happy.......but he will be growing up and you want to teach him now at this young age before it is even more difficult to break him in. YOU CAN DO IT........... :louise:

• Like 2
Curvygurl73

I'm going to guess that Lewis is better at is already....yes? My two hopped around like a fish on the end of a line!! Being from Alaska, many people would see and comment about our "Fish On" the line! hehe.... They both walk on it like champs now after a month! now...getting them to not wrestle while on their leashes is the next step!!! lol

• Like 3

I put a collar on Lucey all the time, she is fine with it. I walked her around the apartment while waiting for her to get her final shots with the leash + collar and again she is fine with it. Took her out for the first time with collar and leash, again she is fine with it, then towards the end started to refuse to walk. 2nd time, completely refused to walk out of the apartment on collar and leash.

I changed to harness and she is like a different puppy. Completely loves going out now :)

• Like 1

If I had a $ for every minute of my life I've spent walking hunched-over with a treat in my right hand and a lead in the left, repeatedly-saying "Puppy, puppy, puppy!" in a baby-talk voice...I could have retired a decade ago. Takes time and patience! Since Shih Tzu are so stubborn, it can take a LOT of work on your part!

• Like 3