Hi all! Quick background: We got our Frodo on June 10. His previous owner got him from animal control in February. The vets estimate his age to be 1 & 1/2. Previous owner gave him up because her older dog did not care much for his energy and playfulness. I think the older dog had snapped at him a couple of times.

We are used to having big dogs, so we are learning a lot. Our big dogs died at very old ages, so we haven't even had young, energetic dogs for quite awhile. Frodo is our only pet, and we are falling so in love with him! There's just one problem. . .

Frodo seems to have taken to everyone in the home fairly well. Our daughter is 11 years old. He isn't in love with her, but he seems to enjoy her affection and he lays with her on the sofa. He likes my husband's affection, but he seems to prefer me. He tolerates my son least of all. My son is 10, and he isn't rough with the dog, but Frodo has snapped at him a few times, drawing blood once. Each time this has happened, my son was trying to be affectionate. We've told our son not to come towards Frodo's face to pet him, maybe reach out for his back instead. Frodo is a very "chewy" dog. He loves to gnaw on a kong or deer antler. Last night, he snapped at my son when he tried to pet him while he was busy chewing.

The thing is, at other times, he is perfectly content to be petted by my son. He doesn't seem to dislike my son, he just seems to get irritated with him more easily. Any advice or input for us Shih Tzu newbies?

Sophie's Haven

I have 6 rescues that I personally would not have around children some have people issues as it is. I have no young people in my home so they are not use to being around kids. I would stay on top of it and make sure that what Frodo is doing is not acceptable. One thing for awhile is have your son just ignore him like he is not even there. Make no contact with him, let Frodo approach your son, but still have him ignore him for a few days and gradually make contact with Frodo. Never come from behind to approch a dog, they will frighten and act out. My Bailey was badly abused and even though I have gained his trust he still towers when I reach down to pet him, and he has been in our home for over 4 years. Just make sure that he knows your the boss and not him. Takes time but he will come around. My Lexie came to us as a puppy and she was tormented by the child that was in the house of her breeder to the point that she is hesident when we are out and there are kids around and she is going to be 4 this year. One thing they never forget there past...........

• Like 2