Scared of big dogs

ShihTzusAreCute

So, I recently noticed Lexie is scared of most of the big dogs, even if they are nice and non-agressive.She gets along with a German Sheperd and a Cocker Spaniel but the others...She is scared to death of a Spitz and a Collie(I think it is a Collie) and of a Husky. Tonight she played her heart out with the Sheperd, two Rott pupies and a Beagle pup but the minute the other three showed up, she ran far away, winning and then from far away she proceded to bark(more of a scared bark really). After I put her on a leashes she just headed straight for the exit.She was not erratic, she just calmly headed for home.Should I just let her be? Should I encourage her to make friends with the big dogs somehow? My concern is that I may be encouraging anti social behaviour, what do you think?

Sophie's Haven

IMO I would not be concerned to much about it. If she is not comfortabe being around certain dogs then let her make that chose. I as a human tend to uncomfortable around certain people that I don't know and I walk away. Just a gut feeling and I think dogs have the same reaction. As an example that I experience with my Border Collies.........Andy loves to play with some of the strays that come thru our property, I was concerned because I had never seen these 3 dogs before but they were having fun running around chasing each other and interacting. One day I saw 2 other dogs that were wondering thru and Andy never left the porch to go romp with them and when they did not leave after a short period he took ownership of his home and chased them away but the next day he was running with some more strays that came thru. Let her make the decision.........sometimes I think they know more than we do.

• Like 5
Jo-Anne

Your dog can`t be friends with every single other dog she sees. I don`t believe that you as an owner should want that either. Lexie is a well trained social sweet dog as far as I can tell she plays and has fun, that is what counts. They do feel theirselves how far they want to go, like Jeaninne allready said. animaatjes-honden-71077.gif

• Like 2

I occasionally see people I don't want to interact with and high-tail it as far away from them as possible. No reason our dogs shouldn't feel the same way!

• Like 3
ShihTzusAreCute

I think you are all right, what you're saying does make sense, I'll just let her decide who she wants to hang out with :) Thanks for the imput :D

• Like 1