Bosco's mean attitude

I know the title is confusing under the Rescue forum, so let me explain. A couple of weeks ago our local Humane Society posted pictures of potential adoptees on their face book and I fell for a cute little male Tzu mix named Domino. He was a black and white with more white than black. The opposite of Bosco. He was 8 yrs old and was so cute, that I went up to the place to see about adopting him after work. I was surprised to find out that during the month of August adoption fees for adult dogs was only $30. So after I filled out the paper work, I arranged and meet and greet for Domino and Bosco.

Needless to say I was so excited to be getting a companion for my baby (though I also had to convince DH that this was a good idea LOL). The meet day came and DD and grandsons gathered Bosco and went to the Humane Society. The staff member explained what we were to do before letting the two get together and we started walking around. Domino wanted to get over to Bosco immediately but the staffer stopped him. We walked to the play area and then we let them do their greeting sniff. Domino started to sniff Bosco and to my surprise Bosco snapped and growled at him. Then he proceeded to walk away from him and turned his back. I'd never seen him do that before. Domino tried to bark at Bosco to play and my boy gave him the BIG ignore. The staffer decided that the meet and greet was a bust and that Bosco was not going to let Domino in his space. He explained that Domino was a little to aggressive and in-your-face for Bosco and that the two would not get along. Needless to say I was really bummed and proceeded to the office to get my fee refunded. Domino was turned in by his owner (they couldn't tell me why) along with his companion a little beagle mix who the staffer said would be like Domino to Bosco and too much in his face. Now the funny thing was when we went into the office there was another little Tzu sitting by her owner and Bosco went right up to her and was friendly. All I could do was shake my head.

So the staffer said I may need to socialize Bosco a little more and then maybe he will be more accommodating to a new companion in the house. I'm happy to report though that Domino was adopted the next week.

• Like 2

I have a lot of issues with shelters, but this is not one of them. I have found consistently for several decades that dogs - when introduced to other dogs - will either get-on or not. I suppose it's kind like people: occasionally I meet someone who just repulses me from second one. Other times, I meet someone and know we will be friends. I'm not saying that dogs have human emotions (I do NOT think they do), but I think dogs have the inborn instinct to recognize friend-from-foe that many humans have lost.

Oh Renee, I'm so sorry to hear that it didn't work out! Don't give up though, I'm sure the perfect companion for Bosco is somewhere out there! :D Socializing Bosco even more will benefit the both of you but for me, Bosco's reaction is not necessarily a sign of poor socialization skills. Like Pam said, some dogs just click together , like Misha and Luca, some dogs simply tolerate and avoid each other, like Misha did to Jolie (but he got to the point of misbehaving etc) and other dogs simply don't get along. That doesn't mean you can't try for another dog that's maybe more calm...

PipsMom

We went through the same thing with Pip and His cousin Oscar. Pip was in this face wanting to be friends but it was Oscar that wanted to go for blood snapping and lunging....neither mine or his was in contact with other dogs before...like in your face friends...

It took four attempts at my house then at his before something just clicked one day...ever since then their best friends now..no aggression at all.

Hopefully Bosco will find his friend in another place .....and the black and white will find his forever home soon

• Like 1
Sophie's Haven

Bosco is just a normal paw as like us humans do not always take kindly to strangers. One day he will click with another paw, it just has to be the right one. It is good that the shelter vets before placing a paw in a home, saves everyone a lot of headaches.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I guess I may as well wait until retirement. That way, i'll be home more often to help them get acquatined. Crystal, Domino did get adopted the next week so he is in his furever home as we speak.

• Like 3
PipsMom

Thanks everyone. I guess I may as well wait until retirement. That way, i'll be home more often to help them get acquatined. Crystal, Domino did get adopted the next week so he is in his furever home as we speak.

Smiles!!! Glad you added that note :)