Excited piddler!

Curvygurl73

Goodness gracious...

Freya has been an excited piddler since the moment I got her at 11 weeks old. I was hoping she would grow out of it, but we are almost at 6 months, and still excited peeing!!

It doesn't matter if she has just pottied...if for any reason she gets excited, there will be a little trailing puddle left behind her!!! I was hoping that she would grow out of it, but since it hasn't improved AT ALL as she has gotten older, I'm starting to think maybe it won't....?

Anybody else have experience with this? Please someone tell me that her bladder just isn't mature and it will go away!! ...because, there isn't a way to "correct" this behavior is there?! *oy*

Hmmmm.....

Could what you're calling excited piddling be submissiveness?

I have one that can at moments be very submissive and she will piddle when I pick her up. It usually happens if she doesn't want to be put on the grooming table. Believe me, I do encourage her with many treats to WANT to be put on the grooming table. Sure glad my table is on a tile floor!

Vicki

I've had two dogs who did the excitement/submissive urination thing. I really don't think there's a distinction between the two, it's just different sides of the same coin. Both of them outgrew it (at least for the most part) by the time they were two. I think about the only thing you can do is try the best you can to keep the excitement level down (calm greetings, no raised voice for corrections, etc.) and work on obedience and trick training. The theory is that the more the dog knows the more their confidence level grows and the less likely they are to urinate.

Curvygurl73

hmmm...thats a great question Vicki. My gut instinct is to say no, because there doesn't seem to be a submissive bone in this one's body!! lol But, perhaps I could be misreading signals. She doesn't piddle when she is in trouble though...only when she is happy/excited. Its usually because someone is saying hello, or is being excited to see her as well. Kids also make her piddle because she loves them. She dribbles a little every morning when we get to the office and she goes to greet our office staff. It doesn't seem to matter if the person is in an excited state with Freya, or if they are greeting her calmly...she will piddle either way. ????

From your description, our girls do sound like they have different problems. My girl's problem does seem to be getting better too as she matures. It has been happening only two or three times a week lately and it's always when it's her turn on the grooming table. I sincerely hope Freya's improves too.

Vicki

Curvygurl73

Pawz4me...Freya is a strange child it seems. I think her's definitely leans more towards the excitement side of things, but she will do her piddle dribble even if the person greeting her is calm themselves. She doesn't piddle AT ALL on corrections. In fact, she seems completely unphased by corrections. :( my stubborn girl.... I will lean on you and Vickie's words and hope that she will grow out of it as she matures emotionally as well as physically!! thank you!!

• Like 1
SnowDragon

Mine too she does the excited peing. Before she use to do it as she got very playful, but know it's once in a while when I come back from work. I have to be quick to keep her calm before she gets too excited and forget she didn't go at all during the day. Keep hope mine as gotten better, but I still think it's a lifelong problem from what I heard.