people possessive.

So as some of you know, I adopted a new pup yesterday from a rescue. A What I prefer to call a dachhua ( I hate the word Chiweenie) name Amber Lynne.

Well she has been getting along fabulously with Zues and Athena. However, I have noticed today that she is showing signs of being people possessive. A few times today she has growled at the little dogs when either she is sitting on my lap and they come up to get love, or if im loving on one of them and she comes up wanting love to. She wants all the love. So obviously, this is something I want to nip in the butt ( no pun intended) immediately. she is fine with them any other time, just not at loving time.

What I have started doing is if she growls at one of the other in such an occasion, I first do the “ AH AH!” To her to let her know its not ok. If she does it again, I “AH AH!” again, and then I put her down on the floor, and wont let her back up until the other dog and I are done loving on each other and that dog goes off to play. Then, and only then, do I let her back up to get loving to.

Am I doing this correctly? Is there anything else anyone would suggest I do to start stopping this behavior before she gets it set in her mind its ok?

• Like 1

I seem to remember Ceasar doing just that in one of his episodes.

lol I was totally confused by your reply for a moment because my foster dogs name is Caesar. I thought you were talking about him. then I remembered the dog whisper......lol

• Like 2

You're doing exactly what you should be doing. Chihuahuas are famous for this sort of behavior, so I expect that's where it's coming-from.

Interesting trivia: many experts feel Chihuahuas are actually small Mexican terriers and should be in the Terrier group rather than the Toy group. I have actually seen judges spar them in the show ring.

• Like 3

Well im very excited to report that Amber has now been with us a full week and no more growling at any of the dogs for any reason.No more being people possessive. So happy about this. Im so proud of her. im thinking it may have been part of her adjusting to her new home.

• Like 4
missy dawn

trust me,its a chihuahua thing.we had Molly,until she passed and we still have Missy and Maggie.they pick one person and stick to them.Maggie to hubby,Missy to me.the dachshund side is more loving to everyone,laid back and chill,lol.a chihuahua wants all their parents attention,a dachshund will share,

sheila-shih tzu dreamer

• Like 1

LOL... Well she seems to be going back and forth between her two halves then. The chi part seems to have retreated back at least for now. Well at least on the growling part, she still trys to weasel in on the attention when giving to others, but at least shes not being mean about it now.

Sheila do your chis or dachshunds like to bury their face into you? Amber is always burying her face in between my arm and body, or in my neck, or where ever she can find to bury it on me.....lol. Another lady i know who has a chi said he does that to, so wondered if it was a chi thing.

missy dawn

Missy(chihuahua) does this.when im holding her she likes to shove her face under my arm.kinda looks she doesnt have a head lol.the dachshunds love to totally be covered up in blankets.when Missy is nervous, she chews on my necklace.maggie does not even want me to bathe her but will let hubby and will turn around and just look at me.lol

sheila-shih tzu dreamer