Pee pad training during winter?

Parker14

I got my first pup (yorkie) this past spring and Parker just recently. They are both bell trained to go outside, but now that winter is approaching I'm starting to get worried. Has anyone here pee pad trained a pup who was already trained to go outside. I know many people take their dogs to go outside in the snow, but sometimes I can't even walk out my front door if there is a big storm. I know I don't want to be out there, and I can't imagine the dogs wanting to go out their either. I'm worried they will start having accidents in the house to avoid going outside. Any tips from those who live in placed with harsh winters would be great! Thanks.

Marlen

Misha has gone out even with mild snow and below zero degrees :) Trust me, it's not the best for both of us...but I do it.... :P lol :D

Sophie's Haven

Mine are all potty pad trained and outside trained..........one never knows!!! When they gotta pee they gotta pee and I am not always around 24/7 so they do me the honors of knowing they have a choice!!!! They are not perfect they do have there mishaps!!!

Annabellerose

Good question! Max was three when we adopted him and I tried to get him to use the puppy pads with no luck. He would lay on them with his toys :-) Although in Virginia we don't get snow like you do...we get enough. I am a little concerned because I worry about his little feet freezing.

Parker14

Jeannine, Did you train one way first, and then the other or both at the same time? Do you have any suggestions for pad training a pup who is already outside trained? Thanks!

Parker14

I'm especially worried about first thing in the morning. When they get up they both have to go pee REALLY bad and f there was a storm overnight I'm not going to have time to snow blow or shovel to get onto the front walkway!

Missysmom

Yes we're working on this now too and so far Missy might use the potty pad or go right next to it... At least we're all thinking about starting this early since it appears, at least with Missy, that this might take awhile. ;)

I'm also curious if anyone has tried boots? I was advised to get her boots so her feet wouldn't freeze. Of course I bought them and she is less than enthusiastic about wearing them, of course it's not freezing or snowy yet so maybe she'll wear them? Anyone tried this or do they not need them?

Bosco is trained for both since he didn't like going in the rain or snow.

Parker14

Do you have any tips for pad training renee? I tried once with Lexi a while back, but gave up after the first day. She refused to go on the pad. I knew she needed to go because she kept ringing the bell. She held it as long as she could before peeing on the carpet. I know it will take more than one day, but don't want to confuse them by not letting them go outside. I was thinking of waiting until the weather is bad and if they don't want to go outside then try showing them the pee pad.

Basically I put a pad in the confined area we set up for him. I also used a spray that lured him to the pad. Took a couple of days or so but he caught on. It helped that it was raining a while during the training,

Pawz4me

Do you have any tips for pad training renee? I tried once with Lexi a while back, but gave up after the first day. She refused to go on the pad. I knew she needed to go because she kept ringing the bell. She held it as long as she could before peeing on the carpet. I know it will take more than one day, but don't want to confuse them by not letting them go outside. I was thinking of waiting until the weather is bad and if they don't want to go outside then try showing them the pee pad.

I trained Yogi to both -- go outside and use a pad -- when he was a puppy. So I don't have any experience in training an adult. But if I were going to attempt it I'd somehow catch a bit of their urine and get it on a pad to give them the idea. If one of them has an accident inside, you could use a pad to soak some of it up.

• Like 1
Sophie's Haven

Do it in a confined area......most of my guys were adults......if you can get a pee scent on the pad that will help. Have a pad in the same location as these guys are creatures of habit. With 7 paws I have one in the laundry room, both bathrooms and they get used. It might take a while, when my Lexie was a puppie she thought they were to be played with and I would find them torn to shreds when I would come home from being gone. She has matured and no longer does it. She now uses them for what they are intended.

babybluegirl

Watching this thread with interest as Riley is used to going outside during the day whilst the weather has been nice (patio door always open), but at night time or when I'm not around, I place newspaper down at the patio door so he knows to go there.

Funnily enough, I went into the Dining Room yesterday morning to check up on Riley and he was standing outside on the patio in the fine drizzle/rain, clearly he doesn't mind getting a little wet!!! lol.

I have bought him a warm coat for the winter and a raincoat too. Not sure how much use we'll get out of them, but I'd like to think he'll get used to wearing one. We did try and put the coat on him the other week and it was a sight! He was forever wiggling and trying to get out of the coat... Ended up on his back trying to chew on the strap under/around his neck area..

babybluegirl

11:27am

• Like 1
SnowDragon

Got Jemica in the beginning of march when she was three month old. Took a while for her to get use to the pee pad. The scented spray in my case didn’t seem to help at all. We made so many mistake in the beginning, but now we kind of got a routine down to path. In the morning I close off my bedroom door and won’t let her out until she does her pee. Sometime it takes a good ten minute, but she eventually goes. I’m thinking the best way to start is trying the scented spray while closing her off in her area until she goes. She might take on to it easily, but she could be stubborn if she is use to go outside. I started young with mine, so it’s hard to said with an adult would do, but I think it depend on the dog character.

I can’t wait for winter even if they are harsh sometime, but I love winter sport. I rather have a lot of snow than the cold that we get sometime. At least when it’s snowing it’s usually not as cold. My routine for Jemica will not change, pee pad in the morning and outside the rest of the day. I never seem to have time in the morning and now with winter coming, it will be less time with shovelling snow off my car and the dreaded icing on the window’s car. I do have to say it is good exercise, but the morning is not the best time. For the moment I will enjoy fall time as I laugh at Jemica running for falling leafs.

Don’t give up, they might take easy to it or It could a be struggle. Technically for me it is just a waiting game to see who will falter. At the end it’s worthed since I don’t worry about her inside anymore, especially with extreme hot or cold temperature.

We don't bother with pad training...the dogs just consider them to be really big paper towels that are SO much fun to rip to shreds (yes, even puppies). All our dogs adore the snow and somewhere we have a picture of Mona's Mom Kelly "breaking trail" in a good 3 feet of snow at our old place in Chicago...the rest of them followed her and within an hour they had an entire network of "roads" and "potty spots" all trampled down. Now that we have the run, my husband uses a leaf-blower to blow the snow off half the run and leaves the rest for them to play in!

• Like 1
babnaw

My Foxy dog was fairly small and I just shoveled a little area for him when it was really snowy. One time I opened the back door after a snow storm and we both just stared in shock at the huge snowdrift blocking our exit. I have a pic of it somewhere and should find it. I just grabbed my shovel and cleared a little area and it didn't take long to do. If I were you I'd just wait until the winter and see how it goes. My guy doesn't seem to mind the rain so I'm hoping he won't mind the snow either.

• Like 1
Parker14

They are both fine in the ran. Parker just actually had his first experience with going potty in the rain this morning. I had to give him a little push, but he went. Lexi doesn't like the rain or wet grass, but she always goes because she knows she has no other choice. The one upside is they go a lot quicker in the rain! I think I will see how it goes with the snow before trying the pee pads. If I don't have to use them I would rather not. Thanks everyone!

• Like 1