couple of questions from a new owner please.

Hi everyone. Just a coupleof questions please. Firstly my puppy keeps trying to eat her pooh! I obviously stop this and remove when i can but sometimes she goes without me knowing then next thing i know she has eaten or is eating it! Can i get her out of this habbit, or is there more to it ie is it because she is hungry not getting right diet etc. Fyi her diet is royal canin 3 times per day. She is 10 weeks old. Also i have tried putting her leashon and she just digs her heels in and wont walk at all. I have tried treats and coaxing her but to no avail. I know she is still young but i thought i would maybe do 10 mins per day getting used to the leash in our back garden and house. Any help advice very much appreciated. Thanks

PipsMom

Most members here are in America and they are 5 hrs behind us. So when those that's dealt with this will be coming in after our 2pm....so have patience till then.....help is on the way. :)

Even though I never had the problem.....have a read of this previously discussed conversation on here.

http://www.chattertzu.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19553&hl=%2Bpoop+%2Beating

Sophie's Haven

Welcome to Chatter and hopefully you will get some great suggestions on how to go about solving your issues with your new pup!!

I think most of us have or had poo eaters........from my experience you just have to stay on top of them.....I tap my guys on the nose and use a firm NO.......I have tried the pills for poo eating, did the pumpkin and the crushed pineapple none of which worked for me, but the tap on the nose and the firm NO gets their attention. The leash issue........I would put the leash on her and let her drag it around the house with it on while under your supervision. She will get familiar with it.........just remember this does not happen over night, we are talking days, weeks, months........the best of luck. No matter the bad habits you will still love her to death, they have that affect on you!!

• Like 2
Pawz4me

IME experience the only way to deal with a poop eater is to be right there to pick it up every single time. The issue is technically called coprophagia, and there are several theories about why some dogs do it. But no one really knows.

As far as the leash issue -- I would put it on her and let her drag it around the house. If she won't move when you put it on then just let her stay where she is for awhile and increase the length of time slowly until she'll roam around the house dragging the leash and ignoring it.

• Like 3
Missysmom

I also did the leash around the house, I did this for quite awhile after we got Missy. You can also hook it to your belt so she gets used to following you around, we did that first before letting the leash go loose. That helped us tremendously both in keeping an eye on her and getting her trained in the house.

Please also remember these little guys can be Very stubborn, loveable but stubborn! Missy will still dig in her heals and not move, especially in bad weather she will Not go out. I usually give in and pick her up and take her out... lately I've been giving her lots of praise 'good girl' and a small treat when she goes out that has been helping too. Now she goes out and then looks up for her treat! This works well too for when she goes potty she immediately runs to us to get her treat now. :)

• Like 4

So many Shih Tzu eat pooh, as well as other breeds. It's pretty easy to tell they're doing it when they jump up in your lap and try to give you kisses too! YUCK!

Four of my five did it when they were young, but have (pretty much) outgrown it now. I tried the pills and other recommendations with the first one, and none of that worked. Luckily she outgrew it shortly after she turned one year old. (Oh, and she never ate her own, just my other dogs.)

Other than the grossness to us (humans), it really isn't harmful (as long as it's a "healthy" (???) poop! All mommy dogs do clean up after their newborn puppies by licking their puppies bottoms and cleaning up any messes found in the "den". It's their way of keeping their babies clean and healthy. I've always tried to look at it as "training" for motherhood. I know, I know, YUCKY!

Just pick up poop as soon as you discover it and never let them near a strange dog's poop. Always tell them NO when you catch them doing it, but they usually do it when you're not looking. Try not to be grossed out by it and pray they will outgrow it.

Vicki

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

As long as your are around her I would just leave it on her......beleive me when I say they are stubborn creatures. The more time the better. You will learn that she will have your wrapped around her paw in no time at all.

• Like 3

Coprophagia is so common in Shih Tzu that some friends of mine were once chastised by another friend for bringing a "fake" Shih Tzu to a dog show. The dog was a singleton puppy and he would eliminate at one side of the X-pen and then go to the other side and stare at the poop until it was removed (singletons are for some reason less likely to have this disgusting habit). I have known some people who teach the "leave it!" command and then apply that to the poop, but that assumes you are there to do so! I have finally made my peace with it. Most of mine have done it at one time or another, but I have only have a couple of confirmed poop-eaters (one will wait at the "chute" for a "fresh delivery" and the other likes 'em better once they are frozen in the winter; "poopsicles", if you will.

Let's just say we are cautious with the doggy kisses with these two!

• Like 1

I agree on leaving the leash on to get them used to walking on a leash. As long as you don't have another playful "pup" around, she should do well as long as she doesn't get the leash caught on something.

I remember when I first started leash training my guys, Ebony got hold of (I believe it was GingerSnap's) the leash end and gave the puppy a quick lesson. It actually worked pretty good.

Then a couple of months ago I put a leash on Animal Cracker and discovered that I'd never leash trained her. Animal wasn't very happy about it, but learned rather quickly.

It may just take some time for them to get the hang of the confinement, but they all do learn eventually!

Vicki