Sensitive little guy

Annabellerose

I know our little fur babies are sensitive to our emotions and moods but I am curious about how other pups react.

When Max hears raised voices...or even tense ones...he shakes and cries and wants to be held (by me). Now my DH and I are not yellers and we get along very well...but you can all relate I am sure...sometimes we disagree. Max gets extremely upset :-( The other day while we were out walking, a couple was having a heated argument and he took OFF! Of course he was on a lease but it took several blocks before he settled back down.

As he is a rescue, I question if something in his past causes him to have this reaction or if it's normal.

Thoughts?

• Like 5
PipsMom

Ohh poor beautiful little Max.

You are right they are sensitive souls and wear their hearts on their sleeves.

Pip wasn't a rescue but he still jumps to loud noises on TV....As when we watch Emmerdale and they are always fighting as soap operas do...but he doesn't know the difference...he takes himself away to the door and lays down till the scene is over...

Like children....they don't like harsh language.

Give Max a big hug for me

• Like 4
Annabellerose

I gave him a hug AND a kiss :-)

It's amazing how sensitive they are. It's kind of funny now...as soon as we have a disagreement here and Max starts crying...we stop and laugh and comfort him. All tenseness is gone...maybe that's his plan all along :-)

TV doesn't bother him...not like it does your little Pip. Poor little soul...

• Like 3
Pawz4me

I think with rescues the inclination is always to wonder if they're sensitive because of something that happened to them. But some dogs are just that way by nature. Yogi isn't particularly sensitive -- he's more likely to bark at someone talking loud or yelling than he is to act scared or upset. But my other dog, a purebred Brittany, has always been super sensitive. I can raise my voice just a bit talking to DH or the boys and he'll tuck his tail and leave the room. We got him as a pup from a breeder we've known for many years, so I know he was never mistreated. He's just naturally sensitive.

• Like 3
Annabellerose

I think with rescues the inclination is always to wonder if they're sensitive because of something that happened to them. But some dogs are just that way by nature. Yogi isn't particularly sensitive -- he's more likely to bark at someone talking loud or yelling than he is to act scared or upset. But my other dog, a purebred Brittany, has always been super sensitive. I can raise my voice just a bit talking to DH or the boys and he'll tuck his tail and leave the room. We got him as a pup from a breeder we've known for many years, so I know he was never mistreated. He's just naturally sensitive.

I agree. I tend to read into a situation too much. It really puts my mind at ease to know he is just super sensitive...like his mom :-)

• Like 1
Sophie's Haven

As a Mom to rescues I have 4 that do not handle well to loud voices. Bailey, Missy, Winnie and Lucy do not do well with loud voices......Bailey will bark and be on the attack.......Winnie just barks and runs around in circles.......Missy and Lucy run under the bed. The hubby and I got into a discussion one day and our voices were on the loud side with one another and the reaction of the way the guys acted got our attention and we change the tone of our voices where Bailey and Winnie calmed down, it took Missy and Lucy awhile before they came out of hiding. So I do beleive that it does bring back memories of things that may have happen to them in their other life to where they get on the defensive as in the way Bailey and Winnie reacts.

• Like 4
Missysmom

I agree totally with Jeannie, our experience with our rescues has been that you may also very well encounter additional reactions other than them being just sensitive loving pups depending on their background, which of course we haven't a clue..

Our rescue before Missy was super sensitive to anyone speaking loudly to me, not so much to my husband just to me and of course if my husband spoke loudly or harshly to me she became very sensitive and like a Velcro doggie attached to her mommy. We always thought there was something there she was reacting to from her past but could never be sure of course.

Both of them are/ were extremely sensitive to hand/ arm gestures even if everyone (us included are laughing). Our previous rescue would 'hit the deck' when hands were raised, even when others were just gesturing when talking, and then get back up and start barking at the person. Missy on the other hand starts growling and seriously barking while running towards and then backing away from the person. We were pretty convinced our previous dog was abused in her previous life and were very saddened to see this same behavior in Missy recently as her reaction really did appear she'd had a very bad previous experience and even the person visiting us commented that they thought she'd been abused. if only they could talk...

I truly hope Max is just a sensitive little guy. Hugs and kisses from us too and thankfully he is in a very loving home now! :)

Edited by Missysmom
  • Like 3
Annabellerose

As a Mom to rescues I have 4 that do not handle well to loud voices. Bailey, Missy, Winnie and Lucy do not do well with loud voices......Bailey will bark and be on the attack.......Winnie just barks and runs around in circles.......Missy and Lucy run under the bed. The hubby and I got into a discussion one day and our voices were on the loud side with one another and the reaction of the way the guys acted got our attention and we change the tone of our voices where Bailey and Winnie calmed down, it took Missy and Lucy awhile before they came out of hiding. So I do beleive that it does bring back memories of things that may have happen to them in their other life to where they get on the defensive as in the way Bailey and Winnie reacts.

Poor little guys :-( Very similar to Max's reaction to raised voices. Not on the TV like Crystal's Pip, live voices. It sure makes having a disagreement difficult! We start speaking in soft low tones and it makes us laugh and end of disagreement. Thanks Max! :-)

It just breaks my heart to think he remembers something bad and is reacting to that. He is such a sweet GOOD boy. Those of us with rescues just have to take things like this in stride I suppose and keep moving on.

• Like 3
Annabellerose

I agree totally with Jeannie, our experience with our rescues has been that you may also very well encounter additional reactions other than them being just sensitive loving pups depending on their background, which of course we haven't a clue..

Our rescue before Missy was super sensitive to anyone speaking loudly to me, not so much to my husband just to me and of course if my husband spoke loudly or harshly to me she became very sensitive and like a Velcro doggie attached to her mommy. We always thought there was something there she was reacting to from her past but could never be sure of course.

Both of them are/ were extremely sensitive to hand/ arm gestures even if everyone (us included are laughing). Our previous rescue would 'hit the deck' when hands were raised, even when others were just gesturing when talking, and then get back up and start barking at the person. Missy on the other hand starts growling and seriously barking while running towards and then backing away from the person. We were pretty convinced our previous dog was abused in her previous life and were very saddened to see this same behavior in Missy recently as her reaction really did appear she'd had a very bad previous experience and even the person visiting us commented that they thought she'd been abused. if only they could talk...

I truly hope Max is just a sensitive little guy. Hugs and kisses from us too and thankfully he is in a very loving home now! :)

Wouldn't it be WONDERFUL if they could talk? Max's Dad says that all the time. I think our little rescue guys especially would say 'thank you!'.

We had a big lovable baby of a lab years ago who had been horribly abused as a puppy. He was kicked (two broken legs), thrown into the lake from a boat and left to swim to shore, beaten with a stick, left tied with no food or water...etc. it was my neighbor who did this and we did everything we could to save him. I started getting him every day and keeping him with me. I was threatened with the police and more! I was very pregnant at the time but...I was determined to save this dog. Anyway...long story short...after he wandered out of the owner's yard and was hit by a TRAIN...they let me have him. He lost a back leg and his big sweeping tail. We had him for 10 years and he was a wonderful friend to my two little girls. But...let anyone walk up to him with a stick or cane and he became Cujo! We had to keep him away from my great-grandmother as she used a cane. He also loathed the water. With him it was easy to see why certain things would upset him. With Max...we just are left to wonder.

I want to believe he is just hyper sensitive because it hurts me to think otherwise.

• Like 5
Missysmom

Oh gosh Karen how awful that happened to your poor lab but how wonderful that you finally got him and gave him the love he so deserved. THAT is the part of having a rescue is what makes us keeps doing it, to see the love in their eyes and know they are now in doggie heaven on earth for them! I believe we spoil them even more if that's possible, it's like you want to make up for whatever may have happened to them.

Yes I agree I do believe they would say 'Thank You' if they could talk and I do hate to think of what they may have been through, it brings tears to my eyes and it hurts so bad to think anyone would do such things to our beautiful babies who only give us love in return.

One way or the other Max is a very sensitive little guy and he sure knew what he was doing when he stole your heart and moved into it!! Big hugs for Max!

• Like 3
Annabellerose

Thanks Vicki...what we do with these little dogs is truly a labor of love. What they give us is worth everything extra we deal with :-)

• Like 3

OMG everyone! All the sad stories, but all the wonderful outcomes! THANK YOU all so much for taking in rescues and caring so much for them!

My guys do talk, but only when my Husband is home. He has this strange, but cute, voice he uses when he's pretending to be talking for one of the dogs. I just love it as my guys say the most wonderful things!

My household is very quiet as it's just my Husband and myself most of the time. We never have any harsh words either. The TV (other than a doorbell) doesn't seem to phase any of my guys. About the only loud noises by guys ever hear comes from ME when the doorbell rings. They really aren't phased at all by that, unless I have the Magic Can! Then they run the other direction (usually still barking) until I shake the can, then they run outside the doggie door and just stare at me through the glass door. Once I've put THAT can down, they're all back to their normal selves.

I think I'm really lucky!

Vicki

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

I love my Sophie to death and would not trade her for the world......she is after all the pamper Queen of the house......but my 6 rescues are special in their own way. Bailey who is my heart......who every day you can see him grow still when I (the hubby calls me his second heart as he goes into panic mode if I get out of his site) still fears MY hand when I reach down to pet his head. It has been 4 years now and he still regresses at times when touched. They say dogs never forget.........and I beleive that!!! They never let their guard down and when my dogs do not react to a strange person that comes to the house I take a second look at that person.........I think they are good judges of character!!!

• Like 2

Poor baby Max!!!! :( I can see how he might have been traumatized in the past but believe me, give him some time and he'll leanr he doesn't have to worry when mommy and daddy are with him :D All of us are sending hugs and kisses, telling him to be a brave boy!!! :hug:

Also, I'm so glad your previous baby had you in his life, you were a Godsent to him! :D

• Like 3