Thanksgiving Cooking- Pumpkin Bread

Missysmom

Missysmom

I started my Thanksgiving baking today with a family favorite- Pumpkin Bread, am cooking two loaves, one for now and freezing one for Turkey day!

Wanted to share the recipe if anyone wants to try it-

Pumpkin Bread

1 cup canned pumpkin

2 eggs

1/2 cup oil

2 TBSP water

1 3/4 cup flour

1 1/2 cup sugar

1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

1 tsp soda

1 tsp salt (optional)

Combine pumpkin, eggs, oil, and water. Mix well, sift together dry ingredients. Add pumpkin mixture and mix well. Pour into greased loaf pan. Bake at 350F for one hour and 10 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes then turn out on rack to cool completely.

Makes 1 loaf

Note: I gave you the real recipe but I am an impatient cook so just I throw everything into the bowl and mix and it comes out fine- no sifting either!

Edited by Missysmom
  • Like 5
Annabellerose

Sounds DELISH! I am going to try it on my next day off. Thanks for sharing :-)

• Like 2
Sophie's Haven

Sounds yummy........you're like me a ONE bowl baker. Will adding this to my cookbook!!!

• Like 2
Jo-Anne

Missysmom, this is not a tradition in Holland, but I am starting it as from now! Went to look for the ingredients and the only thing I could not buy was pumpkin pie spice. Can you tell me what is in there? or can I put something else spicey in it? FOBFpancakesHL.gif

• Like 2
Missysmom

How exciting Jo-Anne, I hope it's a tradition you'll enjoy!

Pumpkin pie spice contains cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice. I've never made it from scratch but found this link that will hopefully help with the measures for each: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie-spice-i/

• Like 2
Jo-Anne

How exciting Jo-Anne, I hope it's a tradition you'll enjoy!

Pumpkin pie spice contains cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice. I've never made it from scratch but found this link that will hopefully help with the measures for each: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie-spice-i/

thank you so much for the link and the ingredients, that is really nice. HOValentinevalentinbear.gif

• Like 1
Sophie's Haven

This is what I do...........1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground ginger

1/8 tsp nutmeg

1/8 tsp allspice = 1 Tablespoon of Pumpkin Pie Spice

I sometimes sprinkle a bit more cinnamon in..............

• Like 4
Sophie's Haven

I love to bake, I have a list of subsitutes written down in my book of favorite receipes. Nothing more fustrating when your in the middle of making something and you do not have the ingredient called for.

• Like 3
Jo-Anne

This is what I do...........1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground ginger

1/8 tsp nutmeg

1/8 tsp allspice = 1 Tablespoon of Pumpkin Pie Spice

I sometimes sprinkle a bit more cinnamon in..............

so I have to add more cinnamon in it, that is called kaneel overhere. And I believe the tsp is different here also. Thanks Jeannine animaatjes-hartjes-89982.gif

• Like 3

This sure sounds YUMMY too! Wish I could find the time to bake *stuff*, or more than likely, the incentive!

Feel free to email me a slice! :D

Vicki

• Like 5
Jo-Anne

This sure sounds YUMMY too! Wish I could find the time to bake *stuff*, or more than likely, the incentive!

Feel free to email me a slice! :D

Vicki

I`ll be happy to send you a slice :hug: but are you sure? I have never tried making pumpkin bread before? :D

but I am going to try tomorrow. animaatjes-cupcake-71649.gif

Edited by Jo-Anne
  • Like 4
PipsMom

Missysmom, this is not a tradition in Holland, but I am starting it as from now! Went to look for the ingredients and the only thing I could not buy was pumpkin pie spice. Can you tell me what is in there? or can I put something else spicey in it? FOBFpancakesHL.gif

I'm with JoAnne, I'm going to make this. Will have to mix my own spices but hey hoe.....off to the oven I'll go!

I remember a lady back home...good gracious that lady could cook...anyways

She made the batter as above...but made it in a cookie sheet...

Then she mixed cream cheese and toasted chipped up pecans

Rolled it up like a jelly roll....smear of the cream cheese icing and sprinkled with nuts.

She made heaps out of the batter then wrapped them for gifts....

It was so good it lasted not one day....then all gone.

Happy memories!

• Like 4
Missysmom

Mmmmm sounds great and thanks for the reminder Crystal, I was gonna try making a pumpkin roll for this Thanksgiving and now I don't need to look up how!! :D

• Like 2
PipsMom

Reminsin about holidays long ago......mmmmmm ......my butt grows wider just thinking about

Chocolate Caramel Turtles Candy and millionaire candy.....

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

Thanks Crystle........I forgot all about Pumpkin Roll.....I love the combination of the cream cheese and the pumpkin........think I will have to throw one together. Yummy.......Plus it freezes well.........can have some for Christmas too!!! My favorite thing at Christmas when I lived in Michigan was Brach's Chocolate Covered Cherries.......they do not carry them in the area I live now. I think I am just going to savor the memories as over the years I am sure the size of them has changed plus the flavor. They sure were good...........

• Like 3
PipsMom

Oh how could I forget chocolate covered Cherrys......The ones with the liquid not the creme ....ohhh good memries.

• Like 3
Missysmom

Funny you guys mention chocolate covered cherries, my husband loves those so a few years back I started making them- that's actually one of my Christmas receipes I was going to post once I started my Christmas baking! I'll go ahead and post it now under it's own title in case you guys want to try the ones I make!

Oh and Crystal chocolate Carmel turtles are the best!! I was actually googling receipes for those yesterday - do you have one? I'd Love to make some of those!! Yum, come on holidays!!

• Like 2
PipsMom

Funny you guys mention chocolate covered cherries, my husband loves those so a few years back I started making them- that's actually one of my Christmas receipes I was going to post once I started my Christmas baking! I'll go ahead and post it now under it's own title in case you guys want to try the ones I make!

Oh and Crystal chocolate Carmel turtles are the best!! I was actually googling receipes for those yesterday - do you have one? I'd Love to make some of those!! Yum, come on holidays!!

Sadly no I don't have the recipe, I didn't bring any of my recipe books over with me.....but I like yourself have been Googling

Kinda like this one...sounds easy enough

http://southernfood.about.com/od/candyrecipes/r/bln231.htm

• Like 2

Oh you guys are making me CRAZY!

But, I'm being (pretty good) and watching my Sugar Levels!

(but I can dream!)

Vicki

• Like 1