betsy12345

I have a 10 month old Female shih tzu. She is wonderful in most ways. The only issue i have is that when we pass other dogs she barks and looks aggressive, strains at the leash to get at the other dog. This is getting worse as time goes on. She only wants to play with the other dog but does not do this in a right manner. She tends to want to jump on them instead of taking it slow. Which in times makes the other dog scared and they both start barking. Please can anyone tell me what i should do.

Pawz4me

It's called leash reactivity. Here's an article from the ASPCA that explains the behavior and gives some tips to deal with it. You can Google the term "leash reactivity" or "leash reactive dog" and get tons of info.

And here's a book by Patricia McConnell that might help. I haven't actually read it, but . . . it's Patricia McConnell, who is IMO beyond wonderful. It's bound to be helpful.

• Like 2

The above suggestions are all excellent. What it boils down-to in the end is teaching her to sit on command and "watch me".

• Like 4

What Pam said. You definately have to show her that you are in charge. The two commands given you are the best at doing that. You can also say ah-ah in a stern voice and come between your pup and the other dog.

• Like 1
Missysmom

Welcome Betsy to you and your furbaby! Please post a picture of her when you get a chance and good luck with her training.

• Like 2
Summerangel

It's called leash reactivity. Here's an article from the ASPCA that explains the behavior and gives some tips to deal with it. You can Google the term "leash reactivity" or "leash reactive dog" and get tons of info.

And here's a book by Patricia McConnell that might help. I haven't actually read it, but . . . it's Patricia McConnell, who is IMO beyond wonderful. It's bound to be helpful.

I'm enjoying reading this, thank you :)

• Like 1