Training: "Off" with a treat.

babybluegirl

Hi there,

So, when we used to go to Puppy Training, we'd learn something new each week (for 6 weeks). One of the activities we learnt was "off". You hover the treat in front of the puppy at mouth level. The puppy would then start to take the treat, i.e. try to take it from you, and then you would say "off" to the puppy. After practise the puppy would release and not take the treat from your fingers, i.e. you'd still have it in your fingers intact. Then you'd praise the puppy and say "good boy" and then it was his cue to take and eat the treat.

We can do this hands down, treat after treat. Riley is brilliant at this. Apparently this is then meant to progress so that if Riley has something in his mouth that he's not meant to, you say "off" and he'll release what he's got in his mouth (knowing he'll be rewarded for doing this). In the real world: this DOES NOT WORK with Riley. Help, what can we do?!? Any advice would be much appreciated :)

babybluegirl

3:22pm

Edited by babybluegirl
  • Like 3
Sophie's Haven

I am going to get the MEAN MOM AWARD here.........example.......and one thing NO TREATS WERE USED IN THIS TRAINING...Lexie had something in mouth she would not drop......one pick up of said paw....fingure inserted in mouth to remove said item with a firm NO....DROP........I now have no problems in requesting NO....DROP.......there are somethings that just need a firm command without bribing them to preform......MPO.

• Like 8
babybluegirl

I am going to get the MEAN MOM AWARD here.........example.......and one thing NO TREATS WERE USED IN THIS TRAINING...Lexie had something in mouth she would not drop......one pick up of said paw....fingure inserted in mouth to remove said item with a firm NO....DROP........I now have no problems in requesting NO....DROP.......there are somethings that just need a firm command without bribing them to preform......MPO.

Thanks Sophie's Haven, we can try that at home because "off" certainly doesn't work one bit! lol. When we see something in Riley's mouth that shouldn't be in there, I normally just try and prise his mouth open (he's really strong by the way) and get the said item out.

Funnily enough, we went to our local town on Saturday to watch the turning on of the Christmas lights. We walked up and down the road/pavements (road shut so there were stalls all along the high street). Before we knew it, Riley had something in his mouth and I was trying my hardest to get said item out!!! After a lot of effort, we managed to get out a huge chunk of hog roast pork!!! He must have thought it was Christmas!!! LMAO. Poor thing.

What does "MPO" stand for?

babybluegirl

4:26pm

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

MY PERSONAL OPINION..............

• Like 2

Instead of the word "Off" we were taught "leave it" Works most of the time when I see him sniffing around something. I'm still working on "drop it" with Bosco though.

• Like 5

I was also taught "leave it" and "drop it". Lexi, my Yorkie learned "leave it" pretty well, but "drop it" is still a challenge at times. Now that she's older (almost 1) she is pretty good about not trying to eat or chew things she's not supposed to anyway. For "leave it" this is what I did and it worked wonders. In the house (or you could do it outside too) I had her on lease and put something on the floor I knew she couldn't resist. In her case it was my son's sock lol. I would walk her back and forth right next to the sock and when she went towards it I would pull her away before she could get it and say "leave it". I kept doing that until she no long went for it (only took about 10 passes). I would give lots of praise each time since I don't use treats for training. Then I would start practicing each day with or with out the leash using things that she shouldn't have but sometimes ends up on the floor like my son's lego pieces. If she did grab one after saying leave it. I would get it from her, put it back on the floor in front of her with me right there and practice again until she left it. No advice for "drop it" because I always end up having to pry it out of her tightly clenched jaws. Luckily, Parker is a lot better at dropping things he's not supposed to have!

• Like 4
Missysmom

Missy does 'leave it' and 'drop it' also, surprisingly well for both. I also don't treat for those commands other than a 'good girl' and pat on the head. For 'drop it' I've had luck with a big excited 'good drop' afterwards just to be sure she connects the word 'drop'.

We have a surprising amount of acorns on the ground this year- guess the fox got all the squirrels... Anyway little Missy picks up just about every acorn so she's gotten a lot of practice with these two commands lately!

• Like 4

i need to try this! :rolleyes::D

• Like 2
Summerangel

I let Donte and Lacey off the lead in a field.. There was a couple of dog owners there too. I thought I saw Donte pick something up.

So I did what you talked about here... Put it like this, I wish I hadn't :roflmao: yuk!!!!

• Like 4
PipsMom

Instead of the word "Off" we were taught "leave it" Works most of the time when I see him sniffing around something. I'm still working on "drop it" with Bosco though.

I use the same word....leave it.

If he barks at the door excessive, I use...."that'll do" ( throwback from my New Zealand days on a farm)

• Like 2

I do use either "drop" or "out" when they have something they shouldn't. If they don't immediately spit it out, I do like Jeannine and my fingers get it out. They really don't like that, so are pretty good about spitting it out on command.

Giving them a treat for dropping something they have in their mouth just doesn't sound right TO ME! Mine would associate that and would more than likely purposely get something they shouldn't have just to get a treat for when then spit it out!

Vicki

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...
VanSwssAlmd

With no real formal training Gizmo will "no..drop it" after I have chased him a lap or two around the dining room table. Initially this started as a game, until he figured out I was "serious Sam" and not playing. I will stomp my feet to help get that point across. I plan to work on this more since he has just started to figure out that if he wants me to play with a toy with him, he has to bring it to me. He has started nudging me with toys when he wants me to grab it. Perfect time to work on "drop it" I figure!

Funny..I can have a nearly full plate of food in front of him..he will start to move his head towards it. I say "no" and he doesn't bother it again. But once he's got something already in his mouth it is much more difficult to get it out.

Edited by VanSwssAlmd
  • Like 3
Shihtzumummy2

We were taught to say "leave it" and that is what we do, both dogs will usually drop whatever they have in their mouths, if not then I sternly open their mouths and remove object, mostly something unmentionable. One day a few months ago, Sam was observed my me to have something strange hanging from his mouth. It was a young rabbit that had died for some reason. It was still fresh and floppy. I rushed out to tell him to leave it, and like a wee trouper he dropped it! I was so proud of him, hubby got rid of it for me! Sam to this day still goes looking for the poor unfortunate rabbit !

• Like 4
SnowDragon

Mine is able to leave it, but as soon as she as it in her mouth it's time for the finger to pry it out. She sees me coming and try to keep her month shut, but she doesn't know I have experience and she can't win. She knows the fingers are coming, but she hopes to win everytime.

• Like 4