Tips for barking issue

I need some tips to help with Parker barking excessively outside. He is now 5 1/2 months old and he just recently started with this about 3-4 weeks ago. I was able to easily train him not to bark when the doorbell rings, but for outside I am at a loss. He has a small wire-gated off area where he goes to potty, but if he sees a dog in the distance or our neighbors dog is out playing he goes crazy barking. Sometimes he appears to be barking at nothing, although I'm sure he sees or hears something. As soon as I hear him barking I will go out there to stop him, but he will do it every time. Any tips would be appreciated!

• Like 1
mylittlefluffballs

I use a petsafe barking collar for watson, if he barks when it is on it sprays a little citronella in the air and he really doesnt like it, so when he decides to bark constant for no genuine reason other than to bark i put his collar on and he stops, but he carries on running around outside happy, it works really well :)

Best of luck x

• Like 2
Sophie's Haven

We had a problem with Bailey barking at my husband when he came to the house (men issues) the Rescue Organization suggested that I get a spray bottle fill with water and squirt him when he started.........he lapped up the water and continued barking. But I have seen the water spraying work.......I knew a person that her hound dog would sit on his dog house and bark when a car drove by the house, she would get the hose give him a spray and he would shut up.........If you are able......just go to the door and use the same method that you used on him inside. When my BC start barking........I just open door and yell QUIET....... all is well!!!!!

• Like 5
PipsMom

We had a problem with Bailey barking at my husband when he came to the house (men issues) the Rescue Organization suggested that I get a spray bottle fill with water and squirt him when he started.........he lapped up the water and continued barking. But I have seen the water spraying work.......I knew a person that her hound dog would sit on his dog house and bark when a car drove by the house, she would get the hose give him a spray and he would shut up.........If you are able......just go to the door and use the same method that you used on him inside. When my BC start barking........I just open door and yell QUIET....... all is well!!!!!

I do basically the same...squirt of water and firm No Bark...

Started this yesterday....already working. I reach for the bottle and they both go quite.

Edited by PipsMom
  • Like 3

The magic can works EVERY time!

Jo-Anne

I need some tips to help with Parker barking excessively outside. He is now 5 1/2 months old and he just recently started with this about 3-4 weeks ago. I was able to easily train him not to bark when the doorbell rings, but for outside I am at a loss. He has a small wire-gated off area where he goes to potty, but if he sees a dog in the distance or our neighbors dog is out playing he goes crazy barking. Sometimes he appears to be barking at nothing, although I'm sure he sees or hears something. As soon as I hear him barking I will go out there to stop him, but he will do it every time. Any tips would be appreciated!

Never go towards him, you say every time that you hear him barking you will go out there to stop him. Don`t do that anymore. Does he listen to his name yet if you call him? If he does, call him or get a special dog whistle. Try to be more important and interesting than what is going on outside. You are the leader of the pack! When he does come towards you make him sit and give him a little treat and close the door :D Now spraying the water might help also......I had a few dogs too that responded very well to that, but one just catched the water, he did`t mind at all. Good luck do let us know if you can.

• Like 3

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I tried a lot of these things when I first got him for things like biting on stuff and none of them worked. He didn't even flinch at the water, in fact I think he liked it, lol. The problem with outside is I never know until I hear the barking that a dog is out there, so it takes me some time to get out there since I need to stop what I'm doing and put something on my feet, etc. The bark collar is something I may look into. I always thought they didn't work great from what I have read, but I can still look into that. He actually listens very well in the house when I call him, but outside is a different story. I will call him from the door, and he will stop and look at me, but turn around and keep barking. That is when I go over to him. One day we were outside playing with the dogs out and the neighbors were outside with there dog and he did great. He was definitely excited and watching intently, but he only barked when the dog came closer to him. I think being outside with him helped, but when he is outside without me he just goes crazy. Last night I had an idea to play some dogs barking on the computer to do some training with that, but he didn't even make a peep! I will work some more on recall training. I don't use treats for training, but I can make an exception for getting him to stop barking.

• Like 2
Pawz4me

Stopping barking outside is difficult. It's very hard to productively correct any behavior that doesn't happen when you're right there and can give a correction instantly while the unwanted behavior is in progress.

Definitely work on getting a good recall when he's outside.

And then every time he starts barking bring him him as quickly as you can. Just a calm and matter-of-fact recall. No reward, no reprimand. You want him to learn that barking results in being brought in and nothing else.

But even that won't always work, because most dogs who like their people don't really mind being brought in.

I do usually try spray bottles and shake cans when training a new dog, but I've not found either to be very effective at all for the majority of dogs. Too many dogs quickly assume that being sprayed is a game and they start trying to catch the water. Or they just don't mind it. And most acclimate quickly to a shake can so it no longer really startles them. Plus in this case doing either isn't going to be very effective IMO and IME. You can't correct him for barking when he's outside alone because you can't be there with him. If you open your door or walk out to him his attention is very likely going to shift to you, at least very momentarily. And then you correct and he thinks "my gosh what's wrong with her for doing that to me when I'm just looking at her." Most dogs will not and cannot make the connection to "I barked so she walked out here and corrected me."

I'm not anti-bark collar, but I wouldn't use one for barking outside unless it's a big huge deal like the neighbors are going to start complaining or something. I think they should be used as a last ditch effort to correct really, really problematic barking. I don't care for citronella collars. This always shocks (pun intended) people, but IMO they're more cruel and inhumane than true shock collars. Think how sensitive a dog's sense of smell is. And citronella lingers and lingers (especially inside, but even outside). So a citronella spray isn't a quick, instantly over and done with correction like a shock collar is, and like any good correction should be.

I also think Jeannine's suggestion of teaching a quiet or no bark command is very good. To do that you first teach him to bark or speak and then teach no bark or quiet. IME teaching a dog what you want him to do is almost always MUCH more effective than trying to teach what not to do. You can't always approach training that way, but when you can it's almost always going to be the best approach.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 3
Missysmom

Time may also take care of it. When we got Missy at first she was very quiet then she started barking excessively when she was outside, it was at least a month maybe two of this. We tried everything we could think of to stop it too.

Then one day she just stopped, I have no idea why. Now she rarely barks when outside even when other dogs are barking.

With the exception of squirrels, she loves to bark and chase the squirrels away but once they are gone she stops! ;)

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

When all 7 of my Tzu's are on the West Wing (their confinded area of our porch) and they start barking for whatever reason all I use the word QUIET......that is all I say and they are good. I think they learned that from me doing it to the Border Collies so they quiet down. I can be in the house and yell QUIET and they have such good hearing that they hear me.....I never go to the door unless the bark sound is totally different from their normal bark. Let us know how it goes...I am not a fan of the collar either especially on a small dog....

• Like 2

I do think the big issue is the correction is not immediate when the barking starts, like you said. Now that is colder the neighbor's dog is not out as much so it's hard to get that practice in. Literally 1-2 months ago he could be outside and if the neighbor's dog was out he would just sit there nicely and watch, even with me inside. Maybe it will get better with time, but luckily this is the only time the barking is an issue. I was going to try teaching "speak" but I can't get him to bark when I want him to. I thought the dogs barking on the computer would work, but it didn't. Thanks for all the tips, I know with time and practice it will get better!

• Like 1
mylittlefluffballs

Stopping barking outside is difficult. It's very hard to productively correct any behavior that doesn't happen when you're right there and can give a correction instantly while the unwanted behavior is in progress.

Definitely work on getting a good recall when he's outside.

And then every time he starts barking bring him him as quickly as you can. Just a calm and matter-of-fact recall. No reward, no reprimand. You want him to learn that barking results in being brought in and nothing else.

But even that won't always work, because most dogs who like their people don't really mind being brought in.

I do usually try spray bottles and shake cans when training a new dog, but I've not found either to be very effective at all for the majority of dogs. Too many dogs quickly assume that being sprayed is a game and they start trying to catch the water. Or they just don't mind it. And most acclimate quickly to a shake can so it no longer really startles them. Plus in this case doing either isn't going to be very effective IMO and IME. You can't correct him for barking when he's outside alone because you can't be there with him. If you open your door or walk out to him his attention is very likely going to shift to you, at least very momentarily. And then you correct and he thinks "my gosh what's wrong with her for doing that to me when I'm just looking at her." Most dogs will not and cannot make the connection to "I barked so she walked out here and corrected me."

I'm not anti-bark collar, but I wouldn't use one for barking outside unless it's a big huge deal like the neighbors are going to start complaining or something. I think they should be used as a last ditch effort to correct really, really problematic barking. I don't care for citronella collars. This always shocks (pun intended) people, but IMO they're more cruel and inhumane than true shock collars. Think how sensitive a dog's sense of smell is. And citronella lingers and lingers (especially inside, but even outside). So a citronella spray isn't a quick, instantly over and done with correction like a shock collar is, and like any good correction should be.

I also think Jeannine's suggestion of teaching a quiet or no bark command is very good. To do that you first teach him to bark or speak and then teach no bark or quiet. IME teaching a dog what you want him to do is almost always MUCH more effective than trying to teach what not to do. You can't always approach training that way, but when you can it's almost always going to be the best approach.

I would just just like to point out that Watson previous owner had trained him with the citronella collar, if he barks excessively and no distracting method works, then i put the collar on him.. It isn't even switched on, it has never sprayed him as he doesnt bark with it on, it isn left on him long, then I take it off again... I would never do anything to hurt or upset Watson, it's just how his previous owner corrected his barking and for the time being just using the switched off collar works.. They might not work for everyone, I always try distraction methods first before I resort to showing him the collar, which seems to work just as well as putting it on.

Xx

• Like 3
Pawz4me

I would just just like to point out that Watson previous owner had trained him with the citronella collar, if he barks excessively and no distracting method works, then i put the collar on him.. It isn't even switched on, it has never sprayed him as he doesnt bark with it on, it isn left on him long, then I take it off again... I would never do anything to hurt or upset Watson, it's just how his previous owner corrected his barking and for the time being just using the switched off collar works.. They might not work for everyone, I always try distraction methods first before I resort to showing him the collar, which seems to work just as well as putting it on.

Xx

Oh, I wasn't criticizing you directly. I should have made that clear (sorry). I was just throwing out my thoughts on the matter.

And I fully realize that my thoughts and opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them. ;) LOL!

• Like 2
mylittlefluffballs

Oh, I wasn't criticizing you directly. I should have made that clear (sorry). I was just throwing out my thoughts on the matter.

And I fully realize that my thoughts and opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them. ;) LOL!

I didn't think you were hun I just wanted to elaborate on how I use the collar, I would hate it to spray him, although I did put a little of citronella oil on the bottom of my doors to stop him chewing lol.... I also think different things work with different dogs too... Watson is very strong willed so I have to have 'something' that he doesn't like in order for him to back down, the funnier thing is if I say 'That's it, I'm getting the collar' he just sits (still barking) and waits for me to put it on him, he doesn't even run away lol soft dog haha x

• Like 2
Missysmom

They are the stubborn ones aren't they?! It's like the battle of the wills with them and whoever lasts the longest wins!

It's funny I did the magic can with Missy exactly once and now if I even reach for it she stops what she was doing and lays down.. So I totally understand it's just the 'thought' of it! ;)

• Like 1

The kind of collars I was looking at are ones that do either sound or vibration. The brand PetTags sells them through Petco. But they didn't get very good reviews.

Pawz4me

Ah off topic-- Pawz4me I Love your new signature pic! is that Yogi?

Yes it is!

I'm incredibly lazy about taking pictures, but I finally got my act together today and snapped a few to get a decent one for a signature.

Thank you!

ETA: Don't pay any attention to his hairy kissing spot. He's like all the men in this house -- he was participating in no shave November and hasn't realized it's not November any more. ;) LOL!

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1
Jo-Anne

I was just reading your post again, and you say that Parker has a small wire-gated off area where he goes to potty, so it really is his territory dogs do defend that becouse its theirs. Only when dogs get excessive it is no good, but it is his off area so he is not doing anything wrong but defending it. so calling him and bring him into the house doesn`t work? You can try to take the lead yourself for a little while, put his leash on and walk him around in his area, every time he starts barking take him in the house, calm, don`t say anything while doing that, when you are in the house again just let him sit(good boy) hug or very healthy nice treat :D high voice with all off that . Now if you do that over and over again and Parker has attention for you in his area, then he is a really gooood boy.

@ pawz4me, Yogi is beautiful, love that signature......

Magic can fail...

I decided to try this today, but i didn't have a can so i improvised. My 3 year old son has a ceramic piggy bank that was loud when shook so i decided to use it. The first time i used it when he barked outside worked pretty well. Shook it and said "quiet" he stopped and looked at me then barked again. I shook it and he stopped again and then came inside so i gave him lots of praise. Later on he was outside and i heard the barking start so i ran over to grab the piggy bank, but when i grabbed it, it slipped out of my hands and shattered on the tile floor. My son did not take it well. He cried for a good 5 minutes straight. Now i have to buy him a new piggy bank and find something else for my "magic jar".

Paws4Me I love your siggy pic of Yogi too! I'm lurking in this thread because Mr. T has started barking at passerby outside, so I'm looking for tips too. So far I've been trying to call him over and tell him "shhh" and give him a treat each time he starts barking at the window. I've been trying to be careful to say "shhh" for a few seconds and then pause briefly while Mr. T is sitting quietly in front of me so hopefully he associates the treat with the "shhh" and not with the barking at the window.

• Like 1
missy dawn

Search magic can on the search button on here.we even have them in our camper for vacation

sheila-shih tzu dreamer

VanSwssAlmd

Time may also take care of it. When we got Missy at first she was very quiet then she started barking excessively when she was outside, it was at least a month maybe two of this. We tried everything we could think of to stop it too.

Then one day she just stopped, I have no idea why. Now she rarely barks when outside even when other dogs are barking.

With the exception of squirrels, she loves to bark and chase the squirrels away but once they are gone she stops! ;)

I'm having the same issue with Gizmo right now. He was very quiet - then began to bark excessively. He will bark at people outside as well as bark at apparently nothing or at cars as well. Because he didn't do this initially, I attribute this to him starting to "Lord" over "his" territory. Since I'm outside with him when he is barking, I am able to correct him immediately. I let him give a couple of barks then tell him "enough" and either bring him inside (if he is done with his business) or I take him to the back yard where there is nothing for him to really bark at.

I'm hoping that some of the barking will alleviate soon. Especially before Petal comes home as I don't want Gizmo to teach her the bad behavior.

• Like 1
VanSwssAlmd

Magic can fail...

I decided to try this today, but i didn't have a can so i improvised. My 3 year old son has a ceramic piggy bank that was loud when shook so i decided to use it. The first time i used it when he barked outside worked pretty well. Shook it and said "quiet" he stopped and looked at me then barked again. I shook it and he stopped again and then came inside so i gave him lots of praise. Later on he was outside and i heard the barking start so i ran over to grab the piggy bank, but when i grabbed it, it slipped out of my hands and shattered on the tile floor. My son did not take it well. He cried for a good 5 minutes straight. Now i have to buy him a new piggy bank and find something else for my "magic jar".

Aww..thats too bad! A pop can with some coins in it..cheap!

I was also going to suggest also that until the barking is under control you might want to go outside with him so you are there to correct the behavior immediately. Instead of letting him hang out..let him do his business and come in (unless you are going to stay outside). I know that this can be a pain, but just temporary till you get a handle on things. :)

• Like 1