looking at crates....

mylittlefluffballs

HI all, looking for a crate for Watsons new friend as she will need somewhere to have her own time etc, and was wondering what would be a good size to start off with?

Don't want to get anything too small, and obviously don't want to get it too big either.

Thanks in advance :)

• Like 3
Pawz4me

My personal feeling is that I'd rather err on the side of too big than too small. You can fix a too big crate by shoving something in the back of it to block off space. But you can't fix too small, and I worry about comfort. Some of the wire crates come with divider panels, which work really well for growing pups since it's easy to give the pup more room as she grows.

• Like 7

When I use individual crates on my guys, I use the 24" Midwest Ultima Pro Triple door crate. They're a very sturdy crate and can even be stacked. With the three doors, I can put it almost anywhere and still have a door available. It used to come with a divider too, but I don't see that listed in the description now.

Here's an example link: http://www.chewy.com/dog/midwest-ultima-pro-triple-door-dog/dp/102208?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=MidWest&utm_term=&gclid=CJD0rPvw48ICFZFefgodUL4AjQ

Vicki

• Like 3
PipsMom

That's the same as Abby's ....glad it's endorsed by you Vicki, I didn't know if it was a good one..:)

• Like 3

I do have five of them around here, though only two are in use, for Ebony & Panda. About the only time all five would be in use at the same time would be in the MotorHome (if we still had one!).

They're sturdy enough for Shih Tzu and still light enough where *I* can handle them.

Vicki

• Like 4
PipsMom

Hey! Check out Gumtree in your area.

I just looked and they come in small, med and large.....starting at £20.00.....new!

But that's in York.......so check online in Devon.....also Amazon has them on sale today.

• Like 4
Shihtzumummy2

My boys are 9 kg in weight and are 10.5 inches in height, so we bought two of the large ones so that they can move around if need be. They only ever sleep in the crates, and on their insistence they both sleep together in one. The other one we keep in my husbands 4x4 for when we go visiting overnight or longer. See photo below

I would not be without the crates, and to be truthful they'd not cope without them either, they feel safe and comfortable in them. No matter where we go, the crate goes with us. I have the crate in one of our lounges, the big one that we use more than our second lounge, which I use as my office computer room.

post-61995-0-79886100-1419628100_thumb.j

• Like 2

All of our home crates and pens are Midwest - they will last a lifetime. However, for travel we use Vari-Kennels.

• Like 3

I also do use the Vari-Kennels for short travel trips, usually to a dog show.They're very light weight and fit nicely into the "trolley" thing I use.

070613FunMatchSetup_zps36d9e7dd.jpg

Vicki

• Like 4

I do have five of them around here, though only two are in use, for Ebony & Panda. About the only time all five would be in use at the same time would be in the MotorHome (if we still had one!).

They're sturdy enough for Shih Tzu and still light enough where *I* can handle them.

Vicki

What? Still no motorhome? Tell him he's got until the end of January or he'll be motorhome shopping with ME. ;)

• Like 2

Still NO motorhome! He is running an ad in the local newspaper though, so he is actively looking! :)

Vicki

• Like 2
missy dawn

Still NO motorhome! He is running an ad in the local newspaper though, so he is actively looking! :)

Vicki

Ok, youve got him looking for a motorhome, now to start puppy looking :)

Sheila-shih tzu dreamer

• Like 3
mylittlefluffballs

I still haven't ordered one yet and she is coming today :) will order one for next day delivery on amazon at some point today :) so excited x

• Like 3

That link is for a 30 inch crate. Does it come in a 24"?

That's nice that they'll deliver it so quickly though!

Vicki

• Like 3
mylittlefluffballs

Vicki

OK, but you might want to give him the warning anyway. Who knows how hard he's looking? ;)

• Like 2

The 24" crate is the best size for a Shih Tzu. I haven't ever heard of that brand, but from the tiny picture, it looks like it should work.

Vicki

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...
Joanne13

Hi mylittlefluffballs did you get this crate in the end? Just wondering on your opinion on it? I may get this one when I get a puppy xxx

• Like 1
VanSwssAlmd

My two Tzu have 24 X 18 crates. They work great :)

Oops..NM..old post

Edited by VanSwssAlmd
  • Like 2
  • 3 months later...
#Charlie_the_tzu

On pet smarts website ( where I live ) there is a Midwest icrate dog crate for $25 on there smallest size. ONLINE ONLY

• Like 1