Pee pads with boy dogs

babnaw

So, Mr. T goes outside to do his business and very rarely ever has accidents any more (maybe once a month), but we were visiting with family over the holidays and my MIL's dog uses pee pads, and he went over to smell hers that she had used and then walked a few feet away and peed on the first vertical surface he came across (a backpack). This made me wonder, how do those with male dogs get them to use pee pads when they start lifting their leg?

• Like 2
Sophie's Haven

I never trained Bailey to use the pee pad but he does manage to hit it when he uses it. Mostly though he is marking because someone else has pee on the pad durning the night and he can't have that.........that is why he wear a belly ban.

• Like 4
Shihtzumummy2

Mine have never ever used pee pads, so can't help you sorry.

• Like 2
PipsMom

I let one edge lean up the leg of the table about 4".....He's only missed twice. If it's fell down during playtime he'll look over at me and wait till I put it back up, he won't pee pee till I do.

The pad upstairs lays flat mostly....He squats.

When he goes to his nanna's or uncle house I show him where I lay it down flat...he squats there too.

But think he's a exception to the rule....if our house had many rooms it might be different....ours is a one up, one down terrace house..sardine can I call it. :(

Edited by PipsMom
  • Like 4
mylittlefluffballs

Never used pee pads, even with pup, I just let her out every hour or so and as soon as she wakes up, and Watson was toilet trained when I got him... Good luck though x

• Like 3
Pawz4me

Yogi lifts his leg when he's outside. But on the pee pads he squats. Always. (Good dog!)

ETA: Why he does that is anyone's guess. My thoughts are:

(1) He learned to use the pee pads when he was a wee puppy, long before he started lifting his leg. So maybe he only associates the pads with squatting.

(2) He's the only dog in the house who uses the pads, and our Brittany was very well trained before we moved into this house. So there's no other dog's pee scent around anywhere inside the house, and so he doesn't detect any competition and thus doesn't feel the need to mark.

Who knows?

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 4

If I put down pee pads everywhere my male likes to pee, my whole house would be covered with them!

I just use a belly band on him when necessary.

Plus, my girls would most likely just chew them up. :crying:

Vicki

• Like 3
babnaw

Thanks for the tips/info. I don't want Mr. T to pee on pads, but when we go to my Mil's I have to keep him away from them because he never squats anymore to pee and he's not used to the pads so I don't think he knows what to do with them. Pipsmom, it sounds like Pip is very well-trained!

• Like 3
missy dawn

With Maisey and Missys out door allergies, we

Use the pee pads.we've always liked them too.

we get the big boxes from petsmart, expensive but good.

sheila-shih tzu dreamer

Thanks for the tips/info. I don't want Mr. T to pee on pads, but when we go to my Mil's I have to keep him away from them because he never squats anymore to pee and he's not used to the pads so I don't think he knows what to do with them. Pipsmom, it sounds like Pip is very well-trained!

Two words for you: belly band.

• Like 1

Bosco uses pee pads and never lifts his leg indoors. He does when he goes outside though. He wasn't trained just did it naturally.

• Like 7