Love/Hate Feelings Toward Pee Pads

babnaw

I have a love/hate relationship with pee pads right now. I've been brining Rebel out a few times a day, but there's snow on the ground and it's very cold out, so she still hasn't peed outside. She's had some accidents in the house but she's been really good about going to the pads to go pee, so in that respect they are coming in really handy. However, she misses the pad about 25% of the time so I'm still cleaning pee off the floor which is aggravating. Even if I put two pads side by side, she will still sometimes have 3/4 of her body on the pad but her back end hanging off!

• Like 3
Missysmom

Oh I know that one soooo well, Missy has a pee pad on the deck, since she won't go out in bad weather, and sometimes she'll go all the way to the end and pee either on the holder or the deck!

• Like 4

My dogs love pee pads. They love to shred them into 1000s of tiny bits so I won't get bored.

• Like 9
babnaw

Haha, Pam I hope they shred them before they pee on them and not after!

Vicki, I never thought of putting a pee pad on the deck. There's still snow there, but maybe that will at least get her used to peeing outside if I clear off a spot and put a pad there. Since there's plastic on the bottom of the pad maybe I can even sit one on the grass after clearing off some snow. Why oh why didn't I wait until the spring to get a pup like I originally planned? Oh well, I love her so I can't imagine her not being her now, just like how I thought I was crazy when I first got Mr. T and was going through the puppy stage, but now I love him SO much, I can't imagine my life without him :)

• Like 6
Summerangel

My dogs love pee pads. They love to shred them into 1000s of tiny bits so I won't get bored.

I know what you mean :D Came home from work one afternoon to find they had shredded the pee pad into 1000 pieces. I spent longer cleaning that up, than it would of taken me to clean up a pee or poo and wash the floor. From that day on I decided not to use them anymore ;) for me that was the best decision !!!

Edited to say... That day they hadn't pee'd or poo'd only had the pee pad to clean up! Lol

Edited by Summerangel
  • Like 3

My gang won't pee on them at ALL - they just look at them as toys to be shredded, lol.

I think an important component of house-training is an exercise pen. If you don't have a run, you need an ex-pen. In winter, you can put it on your deck or lawn and put pads down inside it (for some reason, they don't shred them if they are outside). I am not sure why, but that containment teaches puppies fairly quickly that that's "the spot" and before long they will eliminate the second you put them in the pen. Just my experience!

• Like 4
Pawz4me

I love, love, LOVE pee pads.

And if you'd ask me that before Yogi came along I would have said absolutely no way, never would I ever have a dog who used pee pads.

But they are so awesomely convenient. If we need to be away from home for eight, ten, twelve hours . . . no worries at all about him having to hold it.

They especially come in handy when we're traveling in the RV, because there's not always a convenient, safe place to stop when he needs to go. Put down a pad and he's good.

Plus we've found that pee pads are very convenient for many other uses. Painting? We use a pee pad for laying down messy brushes and rollers and for setting drippy paint cans on. Have a sick (throwing up) pet? Keep a pee pad handy and stick it under their face to catch the mess. Wet, muddy shoes? Put 'em on a pee pad to dry. Once we thought something was leaking from the RV. We put a couple of pee pads down and weighted them down with rocks so we could check it. Even if Yogi didn't use pee pads, I think I'd keep some around for other uses.

But yes -- he had problems hitting the pad when he was little. But before long he got the hang of it, and now he hits the pad almost dead center every time.

• Like 8
PipsMom

And if you'd ask me that before Yogi came along I would have said absolutely no way, never would I ever have a dog who used pee pads.

But they are so awesomely convenient. If we need to be away from home for eight, ten, twelve hours . . . no worries at all about him having to hold it.

They especially come in handy when we're traveling in the RV, because there's not always a convenient, safe place to stop when he needs to go. Put down a pad and he's good.

Plus we've found that pee pads are very convenient for many other uses. Painting? We use a pee pad for laying down messy brushes and rollers and for setting drippy paint cans on. Have a sick (throwing up) pet? Keep a pee pad handy and stick it under their face to catch the mess. Wet, muddy shoes? Put 'em on a pee pad to dry. Once we thought something was leaking from the RV. We put a couple of pee pads down and weighted them down with rocks so we could check it. Even if Yogi didn't use pee pads, I think I'd keep some around for other uses.

But yes -- he had problems hitting the pad when he was little. But before long he got the hang of it, and now he hits the pad almost dead center every time.

Love Em!

Pawz said everything I would say...so ....Ditto

• Like 6
Summerangel

I know my paws don't use them for toileting. But when they were sick after taking the Drontal tablet , I did use them all over the kitchen floor to catch the sick, so yes they came in very handy :)

Thanks Pawz for all the other super uses for pee pads, because I bought in bulk, I've got loads left over and I've been wondering what I can use them for :D

• Like 7
babnaw

Pam, I'm hoping that once the snow melts (we had a huge snowfall today but it's supposed to warm up a bit tomorrow) I can just bring her out with Mr. T every time and put her right near where he just peed and maybe she'll pick up on what she's supposed to do. Mr. T doesn't care about the cold as he has a warm furry layer and he is so well trained to pee outside that he can just run out quickly, do his business, and run back in if he wants to, but Rebel just stands there and shivers whenever I put her down outside right now. Earlier today, before the big snowfall, I did put her on a grassy spot and I walked away a few feet and she smelled and roamed for about 30 seconds but then she was holding up her cold paws and shivering and jumping on my leg to be picked back up. So, for now I'm just going to keep using the pads and continue to bring her outside to give her a chance to pee there too/get her used to going outside.

Pawz4Me, thanks for the tips about alternate uses for pee pads. I'm like that with baby wipes, even if there isn't a baby in my house I will always have wipes around because they are so handy for cleaning up messes.

• Like 6

Another great example of the Wealth of Knowledge PAWZ!!! Great ideas!

My guys will shred the pads in my house, but don't when away from home! They do come in handy and I just love all the new ideas for their uses!

Vicki

• Like 6
Pawz4me

I thought of another thing I've used a pee pad for -- when I'm cutting up a juicy melon. The pee pad soaks up all the juice, so no mess on the kitchen counter.

• Like 7
mylittlefluffballs

My gang won't pee on them at ALL - they just look at them as toys to be shredded, lol.

I think an important component of house-training is an exercise pen. If you don't have a run, you need an ex-pen. In winter, you can put it on your deck or lawn and put pads down inside it (for some reason, they don't shred them if they are outside). I am not sure why, but that containment teaches puppies fairly quickly that that's "the spot" and before long they will eliminate the second you put them in the pen. Just my experience!

That is exactly what I do, I have a pen on my decking in the garden and no pee pads in the house, Molly has already started scratching at the back door when she needs to go... :)

• Like 6
SnowDragon

I love the pee pad. She knows to go on there and she rarely miss, so I can't complain. It's been a god saved when she was sick and she would go on the pad. She loves to go outside, but winter as made her a bit confused, so I least I don't have to worry about that. THe only time she shred her paper is if she pooped and I picked it up, she seems to be looking for it. Or when she wants her attention.

We just had a winter storm, follow by freezing rain. So the whole place was frozen and it seem like she couldn't find a spot to pee. She was looking for snow, but the only snow was to high for her. She doesn't have a lot of place to go, so mostly it's on the side of the road. Poor her. Still she adores the snow when it's not to cold.

• Like 1
babnaw

Well, she's peed outside several times now and she's pooped out there a couple times too. The temps are dropping drastically again, so I'm definitely thankful for the pads right now. The kids laugh at me when I'm telling her "good girl" with a sing-song voice through clenched teeth because I want to encourage her to use the pads but she's currently peeing off the edge of one lol. Little stinker irritated me tonight when she ran around on her pad a few times and then walked two feet away from it and proceeded to pee! Still, I think she's doing very well for being a tiny little thing and new to the house.

• Like 1