Refuses to potty - inside or out!

VanSwssAlmd

***Reposting this here as it seems more appropriate :)

Have any of you guys had issues with getting a dog to go to the bathroom period? Petal will hold it and hold it. I let her out every few hours as we are working on getting her used to going outside and not in a grated kennel. She has only pooped 2 or 3x since she has been here and maybe has peed 4 or 5 times. She hasn't gone in her crate as far as I can tell and hasn't had an accident in the house either. And she isn't eating much at all. She had a few bites of food yesterday..and that's it. Obviously she isn't going to be pooping regularly if she isn't eating. I just don't want this to become a health problem.

I think she is still a bit stressed out as she pants alot and when she is down on the floor she paces around quite a bit or will hide under the table. I know there is going to be an adjustment period, but I've never seen this type of behavior before.

She is very shy and will basically sit by me on the couch all day if I let her. I have to put her in her kennel and close it so she will get a drink.

Any suggestions?

Edited by VanSwssAlmd
  • Like 4
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VanSwssAlmd

• Missysmom

• Vicki

• Pawz4me

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Made me laugh, too! (Seriously -- I've worked in rescue. It warms my heart to be around people who care so much about their pets.)

You sure got that one right Pawz! We wouldn't be here as much as we can be if we didn't care about our babies so much. I'd venture to guess that almost all of us put our furbabies health ahead o

Drama queen are you kidding? I'd be freaking out and trying to put the food in her mouth and doing the chewing for her!! No Sara you're just being a good momma and we're here worrying with you. I

Have u tried asking her breeder for some advise? Usually they are familiar with their dogs,

But maybe she still adjusting...jjst my thoughts.

• Like 3
VanSwssAlmd

Have u tried asking her breeder for some advise? Usually they are familiar with their dogs,

But maybe she still adjusting...jjst my thoughts.

Not yet, I was just seeing if any of our groupies had any thoughts on the matter.

• Like 3
VanSwssAlmd

My guess is that she's still adjusting.

Yes, I'm sure she still is. I'm just concerned as it can't be healthy for her to hold it for the lengths of time that she has.

• Like 3
Pawz4me

I wouldn't be worried about her holding it, because it doesn't sound like she's had much to hold. I'd be more concerned about dehydration or hypoglycemia. I'd consider offering her something yummy to eat with a goodly amount of warm water or salt free broth added in.

• Like 3
VanSwssAlmd

I wouldn't be worried about her holding it, because it doesn't sound like she's had much to hold. I'd be more concerned about dehydration or hypoglycemia. I'd consider offering her something yummy to eat with a goodly amount of warm water or salt free broth added in.

I probably should have mentioned that she is drinking just fine, so I'm not real worried about dehydration. I just have to put her in her kennel to actually get a drink as she wont move off the couch if I'm with her. While I'm cooking dinner she will be off the couch, but is usually hiding under the table or is in the corner of the kitchen so she wont go to her bottle. I can hear her drinking from her bottle at night also. She has eaten a couple of treats after her grooming sessions. We have done two sessions since she has been here. So she has had 2 Wellness Core moist puppy treats.

So you can see my concern as I believe that she is in-taking enough water to have more output than she is giving.

And maybe I'm more worried than I should be. Maybe to used to Gizmo's routine. I can let him out every 3 hours and he will pee every time and poop at least 2 of those times. He intakes quite a bit of water though because he is really active. Where as Petal, just sitting on the couch with me is opposite. And she surely wouldn't require as much water.

Maybe I'm just being a worry wort!

Edited by VanSwssAlmd
  • Like 3
Pawz4me

No, I don't think you're being a worry wort at all!

Dogs are different, though. It takes awhile to figure out what normal is for each one.

• Like 4
VanSwssAlmd

Thats true...I just worry about her holding her urine/bowels for such a long period. And the fact that she really didn't eat much yesterday. Hoping I come home to an empty bowl that I left her this morning and that she will poo and pee when I let her out.

• Like 2

Poor baby :( It sounds like she's having a rough time adjusting right now, but at least she has you as her safety blanket right now. When we brought our Foxy dog home (he passed away last year) he was three years old and took to us and our house right away, but lots of rescues tell you that it can take a while for a doggy to get used to a new home. As long as she is drinking and eating a little and you are giving her lots of opportunities to go to the bathroom then she should be fine. That's not a professional opinion of course and I'd be worried too because I'm a major worrier in general, but it sounds like she's doing alright and hopefully she'll settle in to a better routine soon.

• Like 5
Pawz4me

When we first got Yogi I had to sit down on the floor and hand feed him for a few days. I worried that he'd get used to that and I'd be stuck doing it forever, but soon he was scarfing up his food w/o a problem.

• Like 4
mylittlefluffballs

Hope you get this sorted out very soon, have you tried giving her a treat when she has done her business outside and lots of praise? They know they are getting rewarded for doing their business they tend to do it more lol watson comes running in to tell me so he gets praise and a small treat, and Molly thankfully is following suit... Good luck x

• Like 7
Jo-Anne

I tried this once with a Shepard pup that was really afraid (saved him from a bad breeder, that learned him how to fight in his young life :( ) he really was my shadow.

I took some nice wet food, great smell mix it with a little water and put the plate somewhere quiet, but stayed with him though. Now I don`t say this will work with you, but I am just thinking about

a way to get her to eat, and that way she drinks at the same time. Maybe you just have to give her a full say two weeks without anything that she"must"do, so no grooming ect. some pups are really having trouble with a lot of inpressions. Just thoughts. :mellow:

• Like 5

You're certainly NOT worrying too much. All good furbaby owners would worry!

Most likely she is still just adjusting as her "world" has just had a major change. Female dogs frequently can hold it much longer than the males do too. I think males just like to go more often just to show off that they can and mark their territory. My only male probably lifts his leg at least 25 times a day. After the first lift of his leg when he first goes outside, only drops (if any) then come out. He is just MARKING. My girls probably only go 3--5 times a day, but when they do go, they really go! Sometimes the sizes of their puddles amaze me.

If you are really worried still, take her to the vet and have her checked out.

Sure hope she's doing better today!

Vicki

• Like 6
VanSwssAlmd

Thanks for the advice everyone! I tried heating up some broth and putting it in her kibble last night but she still wouldn't eat it. She did eat a few morsels of bread from my hand.

She did, however, pee when I got home from work last night and poo'd before bed. I also let her sleep with me and Gizmo last night and she loved it! Though every time I moved she lifted her head like "whats that?!". She also peed this morning within about 5 minutes of my letting her out.

Small progress...but progress none the less. Hopefully she will eat some today. Might have to boil her some chicken if she wont eat her kibble. She's got to be starving!

Oh and she seems to be terrified of my son for some reason. Because he's male? or his size? Not sure.

• Like 5
Missysmom

I'm glad to hear Petal has made some progress Sara but sorry to hear she still won't eat. Is this the same kibble she was eating at the breeders?

Also Jo-Anne had a great point, I've have to stand right beside all of mine for them to eat, if I move away forget it. I've never understood that but that's just they way they've all been..

And very strange about how she reacts to your son, is he small? Maybe she's just not used to being around small children?

• Like 4

Glad to hear things are looking up!

Are you feeding her exactly what her breeder was feeding her?

Have you tried HAND feeding her and Gizmo both at the same time while you're (say) on the floor with them. Kind of a competition for the "goodies"?

Vicki

• Like 4
VanSwssAlmd

I'm glad to hear Petal has made some progress Sara but sorry to hear she still won't eat. Is this the same kibble she was eating at the breeders?

Also Jo-Anne had a great point, I've have to stand right beside all of mine for them to eat, if I move away forget it. I've never understood that but that's just they way they've all been..

And very strange about how she reacts to your son, is he small? Maybe she's just not used to being around small children?

Yes..the same kibble from the breeder. I was going to transition her to what I'm feeding Gizmo, but haven't yet.

I had to laugh when you asked if my son was small..lol. He's 17, 6'0 tall and weighs 250lbs...so nope not small at all. I think it might be because he's heavy footed when he walks. But not sure really.

• Like 4
VanSwssAlmd

Glad to hear things are looking up!

Are you feeding her exactly what her breeder was feeding her?

Have you tried HAND feeding her and Gizmo both at the same time while you're (say) on the floor with them. Kind of a competition for the "goodies"?

Vicki

Yep..exactly. She gave me a plastic bag of her food when I picked her up.

I did try for a short time (feeding them together) last night when I put the broth on the food. I gave some to Gizmo also. Put both of their bowls down on the floor in the kitchen. But she wasn't interested at all. Gizmo gobbled his up, of course! I don't think she is comfortable enough in the kitchen to eat there.

When I did give her some of the bread I was sitting on the couch and Gizmo was there as well. She was fairly exuberant about eating the bread. But not a whole lot of nutrients in bread.

Edited by VanSwssAlmd
  • Like 3
Missysmom

Oh too funny I bet you did have a good laugh since he's more like a football player than my thought of a toddler!! So you're right probably the heavy foot walk then!

• Like 6

Perhaps her breeder "Free-Fed" her?

Have you tried giving her a bowl in her crate with her water?

Vicki

• Like 5
VanSwssAlmd

Perhaps her breeder "Free-Fed" her?

Have you tried giving her a bowl in her crate with her water?

Vicki

Free fed as in like just left food in the bowl all the time? Basically what I have been doing in hopes that she will eat at some point.

Because she wouldn't eat I have had her bowl in her crate since day one. Its weird because she ate her food in her crate the first day she was in my home. I had put it in there in the morning and when I got home from work that evening it was gone.

I feel like I'm over-stressing about this now and being a drama queen :( I'm sure this will work itself out. It is doubtful that she will starve herself.

• Like 6

You're right this will most likely just work itself out in time.

Yes, by Free-Fed I meant having food (kibble) available at all times.

All of mine are free-fred and can eat whenever they want. I have three bowls set up for them. They will all even share the same bowl and eat at the same time though.

Mine have all been raised that way though.

Vicki

• Like 5