Refuses to potty - inside or out!

VanSwssAlmd

You're right this will most likely just work itself out in time.

Yes, by Free-Fed I meant having food (kibble) available at all times.

All of mine are free-fred and can eat whenever they want. I have three bowls set up for them. They will all even share the same bowl and eat at the same time though.

Mine have all been raised that way though.

Vicki

Until she starts eating regularly I will probably continue to free feed in her crate (so I can moniter and make sure she is eating it and not Gizmo). I'll send a quick note to her breeder and find out how they were fed.

Thank you for the input Vicki!

• Like 6
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VanSwssAlmd

• Missysmom

• Vicki

• Pawz4me

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Made me laugh, too! (Seriously -- I've worked in rescue. It warms my heart to be around people who care so much about their pets.)

You sure got that one right Pawz! We wouldn't be here as much as we can be if we didn't care about our babies so much. I'd venture to guess that almost all of us put our furbabies health ahead o

Drama queen are you kidding? I'd be freaking out and trying to put the food in her mouth and doing the chewing for her!! No Sara you're just being a good momma and we're here worrying with you. I

Shihtzuluv

Until she starts eating regularly I will probably continue to free feed in her crate (so I can moniter and make sure she is eating it and not Gizmo). I'll send a quick note to her breeder and find out how they were fed.

Thank you for the input Vicki!

Agree.

• Like 4
Missysmom

Drama queen are you kidding? I'd be freaking out and trying to put the food in her mouth and doing the chewing for her!!

No Sara you're just being a good momma and we're here worrying with you. I know I'll be celebrating over here when we hear she finally does eat! :)

• Like 8
VanSwssAlmd

Drama queen are you kidding? I'd be freaking out and trying to put the food in her mouth and doing the chewing for her!!

No Sara you're just being a good momma and we're here worrying with you. I know I'll be celebrating over here when we hear she finally does eat! :)

Thanks for that Vicki..lol. You make me laugh. I was just looking back through my posts and all I saw was waaa, waaa, waaa,..lol.

Edited by VanSwssAlmd
  • Like 6
Pawz4me

Thanks for that Vicki..lol. You make me laugh. I was just looking back through my posts and all I saw was waaa, waaa, waaa,..lol.

Made me laugh, too!

(Seriously -- I've worked in rescue. It warms my heart to be around people who care so much about their pets.)

• Like 9

(Seriously -- I've worked in rescue. It warms my heart to be around people who care so much about their pets.)

You sure got that one right Pawz!

We wouldn't be here as much as we can be if we didn't care about our babies so much.

I'd venture to guess that almost all of us put our furbabies health ahead of ours too!

I know I do! (But also know *I* need to be here for them!)

Vicki

Edited by Vicki
  • Like 8
VanSwssAlmd

Pam suggested giving her 1/2 tsp of olive oil to get her bowels moving around. I shall give that a try should she not get to poopin and peein regularly!

• Like 6
missy dawn

You're right this will most likely just work itself out in time.

Yes, by Free-Fed I meant having food (kibble) available at all times.

All of mine are free-fred and can eat whenever they want. I have three bowls set up for them. They will all even share the same bowl and eat at the same time though.

Mine have all been raised that way though.

Vicki

I wish I could free feed mine,but with all the allergies to each others food,thats not possible,

sheila-shih tzu dreamer

• Like 2
VanSwssAlmd

Yeah that would be a bummer Sheila. And I'm sure they all want to eat everyone elses food too..lol.

• Like 3
missy dawn

did you happen to get a little toy or receiving blanket from the breeder,(with the familiar smells on it from her home)so she would still have that a little longer with her? ive heard of this before and sometimes it helps.when Missy had surgery,I slept with her blanket all night,and when they took her back,and took to recovery,she had that blanket with her with my smell on it,I want to believe it helped her.

sheila-shih tzu dreamer

• Like 4
missy dawn

Yeah that would be a bummer Sheila. And I'm sure they all want to eat everyone elses food too..lol.

yes missy cant have minnie or maiseys food

maisey cant have minnies or missys food

and snacks are all the same way.I have to make sure they dont go to each others bowl.it would be so nice to find one that all could eat without

pecans

turkey

eggs

beef

corn

peanuts

rice

peas

yeast

rabbit

barley

sheila-shih tzu dreamer

• Like 3
VanSwssAlmd

did you happen to get a little toy or receiving blanket from the breeder,(with the familiar smells on it from her home)so she would still have that a little longer with her? ive heard of this before and sometimes it helps.when Missy had surgery,I slept with her blanket all night,and when they took her back,and took to recovery,she had that blanket with her with my smell on it,I want to believe it helped her.

sheila-shih tzu dreamer

No, I sure didn't. But I think her sleeping with us last night really helped. No panting at all and she actually curled up next to me and Gizmo and slept. It was awesome! I just love the little buggers!

Edited by VanSwssAlmd
  • Like 6
PipsMom

No, I sure didn't. But I think her sleeping with us last night really helped. No panting at all and she actually curled up next to me and Gizmo and slept. It was awesome! I just love the little buggers!

Oooo so sweet when they snuggle down with the family pack.

Your a good mommie Sara

• Like 6
VanSwssAlmd

I think the faster she learns that we are her new "pack" the more quickly she will become more comfortable in our home. I let her sleep with us the 2nd night she was here but she was panting and keeping me awake - so at that point I thought she would be more comfortable in her kennel and so I put her in it for the night. The next night tho, she was wining some when I left her in her kennel for the night. So I decided to let her in bed with us last night. :)

• Like 3
Missysmom

Ah that's so sweet, it sounds like little Petal is adjusting and I know sleeping with you guys really helped! They're both so sweet and I Know you're going to have a great family pack with her all adjusted soon!

• Like 3
VanSwssAlmd

No..didn't do the olive oil yet. Petal had eaten most of her food sometime during the day as when I returned home from work last night it was almost gone. I both her and Gizmo outside at the same time. Thats fun when you dont have a fenced yard. Leashes tangled up..etc. She peed. They both came back inside. Later on I let just her out and she ran off some energy and then poo'd (I think). I imagine a lot gets built up while just sitting on the couch! I bought them chew toys on the way home..Gizmo settled down with his. Petal wasn't very interested. Let them out one last time before bed - both peed.

I was awoke this morning at around 6am to Petal lying on her back snoring in bed. Little twirp!

So we are getting better, but she's still a nervous nelly in the house. She's a completely different dog outside. Will play, run around, pick up sticks..I'll have to get a video posted of her doing laps outside.

Edited by VanSwssAlmd
  • Like 6
Missysmom

Ah I'm sooo glad Petal ate some yesterday!! Sounds like she's progressing well now but Snoring that's gotta Go!! ;)

• Like 5
VanSwssAlmd

Lol. The snoring was kinda cute. I just rolled her back on her side and she quit. She reminds me of a Pug. She snorts alot.

• Like 4
VanSwssAlmd

Ah I'm sooo glad Petal ate some yesterday!! Sounds like she's progressing well now but Snoring that's gotta Go!! ;)

I LOVE the new photos in your sig!

• Like 2
VanSwssAlmd

Both Gizmo and Petal really like the snow as well. And we certainly have plenty of it.

I just can't leave them out too long in it or their little paws get too cold and they start limping :(

Edited by VanSwssAlmd
  • Like 2
Missysmom

Oh No- have you tried boots? Missy has some but i haven't tried them yet since she seems to want to stay out forever in it and doesn't seem to mind.

• Like 2
VanSwssAlmd

Oh No- have you tried boots? Missy has some but i haven't tried them yet since she seems to want to stay out forever in it and doesn't seem to mind.

No I haven't tried boots. I just think they are a bit silly..lol. When their feet get to cold I either take them on the driveway (no snow on it currently) or bring them inside. They are able to romp around out there for a bit before it becomes an issue. Really its so cold outside anyway, I don't like to stay out too long.

• Like 2

Sara, do you have Gizmo and Petal's kennels in the same, near each other? Wondering if she was maybe a wee bit shy of eating, etc around Gizmo. You mentioned the pack aspect which made me think of that.

• Like 2