Help this novice at house training....PLEASE!

I know, vick, hehehe...i have not seen.this mesh in our location...its not style. Maybe its special for big kennels. I like the cat litter idea for me, coz my home where i usually stay is thirty eight floor. Its long time to go down, and up. But when iam in europe i have garden,but they still have litterbox set up in the guest bathroom,funny they dont do their business if i dont close the door!!!lol.

• Like 3
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Debi Tzu

• Vicki

• baby

• Pawz4me

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Molly is a three time winner!! This afternoon she peed half way around the block. Color me thrilled. She is either catching on to this house training thing or I am. Rain and snow....the girl

I personally believe that's going to be way too much confinement, It could be many months until she's fully house trained. To confine a dog for that much and for that long isn't right IMO. At the v

Sounds like you finally have made some progress with Molly. It just takes time and LOTS of effort! Do you happen to know if Molly was kept in one of those elevated, mesh bottomed crates at her br

Posted Images

I know, vick, hehehe...i have not seen.this mesh in our location...its not style. Maybe its special for big kennels. I like the cat litter idea for me, coz my home where i usually stay is thirty eight floor. Its long time to go down, and up. But when iam in europe i have garden,but they still have litterbox set up in the guest bathroom,funny they dont do their business if i dont close the door!!!lol.

:hysterical:

Guess THEY like their privacy too!

Vicki

• Like 3

Like this...i think they be mad if they know i took pic...lol

Edited by baby
  • Like 3

And again at lunch time! She peed outside again on our walk. Only took half an hour this time and just as soon as she started peeing she almost simultaneously started looking for her pieces of dried chicken. I could barely get them out of my pocket fast enough. I think she is enjoying the time outside too. Thank you for the advice, Pawz!

• Like 5

Sounds like you finally have made some progress with Molly. It just takes time and LOTS of effort!

Do you happen to know if Molly was kept in one of those elevated, mesh bottomed crates at her breeders?

If so, that might be part of her problem in learning about going outside. Could also be a reason why she moves her bedding away and sleeps on the flooring of her new crate.

Vicki

Yes, she was in a crate with the mesh bottom with a pee pad on the tray under the mesh. Breeder said she won't pee in her crate when it has the pan bottom. .????

• Like 3

Yes, she was in a crate with the mesh bottom with a pee pad on the tray under the mesh. Breeder said she won't pee in her crate when it has the pan bottom. .????[/quote

Am confused...what does it mean?

• Like 3

If I can offer you any advice that I think will help, its this. Do not bring her back inside until she has done her business, especially when you KNOW she has to go. Molly just hasn't figured out that outside is her potty. Once she does, it will be a whole lot easier. Petal, being older, still took about a week before she figured out that we potty outside (being that she was used to going in her grated crate). At first she would just play and play. But I was persistent and stayed outside till she went. Now she knows and will usually potty within 5 minutes of when we go out. Also, keep repeating a key word while you are outside. I use "go potty". Eventually they learn to go on queue and will know what you are expecting of them. And of course lavish the praise on them when they do what you want.

I know Iowa weather sucks and its cold out..but persistence and a routine is key here. And it sounds like you are on the right track. Until Molly is regularly going outside (when she knows outside is a potty), I would not give her free roam of the house and would not let her on the furniture. Its too easy for them to go when you aren't looking and then you aren't able to discipline. And then they don't learn.

Oh..one other thing I remember reading and it seems to work. When you take her out. Take her to the same spot every time. And don't move around. Just stand there. If you aren't moving around. They are less inclined to play. But I would encourage her to move with a gentle pull on the leash. I'm not sure if you are going to have her potty on her walks or in a spot in your yard. But I would try this till she is going reliably in the spot you want her to. Make sense? I dunno. It worked for both Gizmo and Petal as they like to gawk ALOT. Keeping them moving takes their mind of everything else and gets their bowels moving.

Anyway...just some advice based on my experience. Hope it helps!

This is something of what I was doing. She has a harness, so I give her a tug when she gets totally off focus. I want her to enjoy her walks, so for now we walk up and down the sidewalk for two or three blocks. Today at lunch we went around the block. Got back to our drive and I thought we'd have to go around again, but about ten steps in she peed. Yes!!

Small victories!

And yes, asleep or not, she doesn't get to stay on the sofa without me right there with her.

Edited by Debi Tzu
  • Like 4

The crate looks like this. This is what the breeder uses for her dogs. The bottom is this wire mesh or grid. Under is a pan where she lays out pee pads. That way the pee and poop drop down and the dogs stay dry, clean and....can't eat the poop as I know some do.

post-1480-0-91657300-1422387025_thumb.jp

Edited by Debi Tzu
  • Like 2
Missysmom

I would love to litter box train mine for when it is raining or snowing. They get so dirty and neither one likes to go out in the rain. Wonder how hard it would be on almost adult dogs.

Sara it took a little while but we were finally able to train Missy to go on a pad in a holder (on the covered deck) when it's raining. Then she goes out into the yard if it's nice or snowing- I have No Idea why she'll go out in the snow and not the rain but I'm just happy if she uses the pad!

We just did the same consistency with the pad in one place and treats if she used it, I'd say it took maybe a month to train her since it wasn't always raining.. So you might want to give it a try!

• Like 5

The crate looks like this. This is what the breeder uses for her dogs. The bottom is this wire mesh or grid. Under is a pan where she lays out pee pads. That way the pee and poop drop down and the dogs stay dry, clean and....can't eat the poop as I know some do.

Oh ok, do they sleep there too?or just toilet?thank u

• Like 2
missy dawn

for those of you who "liter train",does the liter stick to the coat when you have a your shih tzus in long coat????

sheila-shih tzu dreamer

• Like 2

Shiela, i use only the box Of the cat litter,but check picture above.

But there are cat litter that are not sandy, its lime big balls that absorb odor.its white smaller than mothballs.

• Like 3
missy dawn

Shiela, i use only the box Of the cat litter,but check picture above.

But there are cat litter that are not sandy, its lime big balls that absorb odor.its white smaller than mothballs.

ok we put our pee pads into a pee pad tray.it attatches down on each corner

sheila-shih tzu dreamer

• Like 2

Molly is a three time winner!! This afternoon she peed half way around the block. Color me thrilled. She is either catching on to this house training thing or I am.

Rain and snow....the girls we had years ago wouldn't pee in the rain either, but oh my gosh did they love the snow. Would come out with the kids when they shoveled the drive and go bonkers playing in the snow. Bring them in and they would sit by the door whining to go back out. They come in with all these snow balls attached all all over them...little dotted snowmen. . However, one little rain drop and you would think the sky was falling. Silly little balls of fur!

Edited by Debi Tzu
  • Like 6

She is so getting the hang of this! I woke up at 5:30 to whimpering and thought oh please, not this early. I got up and took her outside. We barely got across the street to the sidewalk with me saying lets go pee and she just did it!!! I mean a whole 2 -3 minutes maybe from the time she woke me! She so deserved her chicken bits this morning.

Now we have to work on pooping outside too. She still doesn't have a pattern, but yuk, she is a poo eater, so we have to nip that one really fast!

• Like 4
Sophie's Haven

Yeah we have another member to our POOP EATERS CLUB!!!!!

Sounds like Molly is catching on.........just remember no matter how well potty trained they are they will spite you.......my Sophie was a breeze to potty train and out of the blue one day she walk up to me at the sink while I was doing dishes and looked at me and squatted and peed right there........OOPS!!!!!!!! She is 6 and I think she has done it twice just out of the blue like that.............and walks away like it the normal thing to do...........keep up the good work....Molly will have you trained in no time..........

• Like 4
PipsMom

Yeah we have another member to our POOP EATERS CLUB!!!!!

Sounds like Molly is catching on.........just remember no matter how well potty trained they are they will spite you.......my Sophie was a breeze to potty train and out of the blue one day she walk up to me at the sink while I was doing dishes and looked at me and squatted and peed right there........OOPS!!!!!!!! She is 6 and I think she has done it twice just out of the blue like that.............and walks away like it the normal thing to do...........keep up the good work....Molly will have you trained in no time..........

Oh my goodness....I'm sorry but I was visualising while I read about Molly.....laughed myself silly her being so brass...hahaha

• Like 4

Lol,i have such wild imagination!!!

• Like 4

Yes, she was in a crate with the mesh bottom with a pee pad on the tray under the mesh. Breeder said she won't pee in her crate when it has the pan bottom. .????[/quote

Am confused...what does it mean?

Same as that JUDGE was using.

Oh ok, do they sleep there too?or just toilet?thank u

Many show dogs in the US are kept in them most of every day and every night.

Vicki

• Like 3
spoiledtzu

I see this lots in big kennels, now i remember.

• Like 2

Success again toda! Only my 13 year old took her out tonight and forgot to reward her upon peeing. So when I took her out before bedtime she heard the ziplock bag of treats ...chicken bits... In my pocket and didn't want to focus on peeing. Walked and walked and walked! So no bits and I am guessing I will be woke up in the middle of the night. At least we've still not had an accident in her kennel.

• Like 6

....and then it snowed! Crud. She refuses too pee or poo outside. Took her out three times. She just shivers. And shivers. After three unsuccessful tries, she peed on out throw rug in front of the door (the door we use to go out) and then poo'd on the peed pad I laid in front of the door. That was my temporary fix.

I've never had to train a pup before. My three previous tzu were trained before I got them.

And we can't take a walk as no one has cleared their snow yet. I think we got maybe 8 inches. It is taller than she is.

I can only shovel so much on my own before my chest starts to hurt. Darn car accident! So we only had a small area maybe 6' x 8' area for her in front of the car doors to work with. I don't want to confuse her this early in the game, but am I, if the pee pad is in front of the door? Gee, I don't know????

On the happy side..look! She kept her topknot in during the night and that hair gel worked wonders!

Edited by Debi Tzu
  • Like 3
PipsMom

I keep a pad in front of the front door....

If Abby gets caught short ....it's there....better to wrap up a pad than clean the floor..

• Like 4