Help this novice at house training....PLEASE!

The best thing I did for my guys since they HATE going out in the rain, and it rains a lot here in Washington State, was to add this for them to go outside.

Works GREAT too!

sunroom_zpsc22de1b8.jpg

They have a fully covered area and then can go out into the weather, if they so choose.

Vicki

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Debi Tzu

• Vicki

• baby

• Pawz4me

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Molly is a three time winner!! This afternoon she peed half way around the block. Color me thrilled. She is either catching on to this house training thing or I am. Rain and snow....the girl

I personally believe that's going to be way too much confinement, It could be many months until she's fully house trained. To confine a dog for that much and for that long isn't right IMO. At the v

Sounds like you finally have made some progress with Molly. It just takes time and LOTS of effort! Do you happen to know if Molly was kept in one of those elevated, mesh bottomed crates at her br

Posted Images

We are still doing quite well on the house training. I am really happy there has not been an accident in her kennel. Although when I came home a couple days ago, you could smell her when I walked up to the kennel. Crud. Thought she'd pooped in there. Took her outside, barely put her on the ground before she squatted and pooped. And you could almost see the sigh of relief on her face. Poor thing. I've no idea how long she must have held it.

I've missed a few of her cues. She did try to pull her leash down once and another she barked at me. When she barked at me, I thought she just wanted to play or be picked up. Nope. She literally showed me what she wanted....pooped on the toss rug in front of the door a couple minutes later. She has wanted to eat her poop, so after each time, I've sharply said "leave it" and get her focused on her reward...the treat. So she getting better at ignoring it and going for the treat, so I can pick it up.

She's also slept with me on 4-5 occasions. No accidents in my bed. Whew. I am really quite pleased with her.

And for those who say dogs hate their crates. HA!! Twice I've put her in and forgotten to lock it. She stays in all day. When Mariksa gets home, she ignores Molly till she's had her own snack and gone to the bathroom. So both times when Mariksa comes in, she sees Molly is in her crate. Of course, Molly gets excited and while Mariksa is in the bathroom, she pushes at the crate door to get out and then meets her at the bathroom door.

Of course, the door is also left open when we are home since that also houses her water bottle. She frequently during the day will go in her crate on her own to take a nap. She even drags in certain toys and drags others out. Cracks me up.

And ohhh how she loves the wooden pin brush. She knows what it is and loves the massage.

post-1480-0-46882100-1423717345_thumb.jp

Edited by Debi Tzu
  • Like 5
missy dawn

Debi,it sounds like you've got a winner!! She's precious and sounds to be well trained.leaving the crate door open ,and she still stays in it,says she like her crate!

sheila-shih tzu dreamer

• Like 1
Missysmom

Ahh Debi I just Love your updates and pictures of Molly, you have the most precious little girl!

That's sooo funny about not locking the crate door and her staying in then sneaking out to meet your granddaughter! I'm so glad she loves her crate so much!

Missy loves her's too, well except when we lock the door and leave... ;) but otherwise she too will go in during the day and nap or just lay there and watch us! She has several crates around the house and actually gets mad if the door is closed to any of them!

Keep the updates and pics of Molly coming I just Love her to pieces, what a blessing she is!

• Like 3

My guys all love their crates too! Sometimes when the door to Panda's crate swings shut, he will paw at it until it opens up so he can get in for some "peace and quite".

It's really cute to watch him do it.

Vicki

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Jolly is still doing quite well with her crate. She's had a few accidents in the house, but none in her crate. I am starting to skip her treat every now and then. And we've introduced the bell. I ring it a couple times as we are going out the door and I am saying pee-pee. I have three of them (Michaels Craft Store) and will affix them somehow to heavy string or thin rope and hang them in the hall. Will start working with her to ring them, so she can learn to do it when she needs to go out. Hence why I am tapering off on the treats. Otherwise I can see her ringing the bell to get treats.

The bells look like this.

post-1480-0-50408700-1425093419_thumb.jp

Edited by Debi Tzu
  • Like 4
ParadiseTzu

I laughed at Sassy Mae today. I'm in Texas so we dont have snow very often. We got 5" today! Took her out to pee and she was confused...where's the grass? She started running back and forth real fast until she cleared her a small patch of grass and then peed.

• Like 5
PipsMom

That would have made a good video. Lol

But when precious moments like that happen none of us have the camera :(

• Like 2
Debi Tzu

I laughed at Sassy Mae today. I'm in Texas so we dont have snow very often. We got 5" today! Took her out to pee and she was confused...where's the grass? She started running back and forth real fast until she cleared her a small patch of grass and then peed.

Too funny!

betsy12345

I was really worried about potty training Betsy but i have to say it went really well. When she was 3 months old i took her outside every 1/2 hr. It felt like alot to do but it worked for me. Now i take her out in the morning usually we get 4/5 wee 1 poo. She holds it all night. Then out again at lunchtime and then teatime. For the last wee i take her out on the back balcony and she does her business and straight to bed. I am so proud of her if she ever wants to go while she is indoors she goes to the front door and paws it to tell me she wants to go out.

• Like 2