Parker snapped at my son!

Tonight while my son was watching cartoons right before bed, Parker was sleeping on the couch and my son, Evan was sitting right next to him. Evan leaned a little on Parker, and Parker gave a low grumbling sound and looked at Evan. Evan said, "sorry Parker" and leaned in to give him a kiss when Parker snapped at him. I was so shocked and for a second thought Parker bit his face because he got so close to him. I immediately grabbed Parkers head and said NO. I know Parker can get grumpy when bothered while sleeping, as does Lexi, but I know this behavior is not acceptable. Parker is about 7 months old and has never done anything like this before. Just wondering if I did the right thing, or is there something else I should do if this was to happen again? Thanks!

• Like 7
Marlene

When this happens with Boxers (where my experience lies) we say no more furniture privileges.

The furniture belongs to the hooman beans and the dogs have their own spot(s) which belong to them.

I had this happen to me a couple of weeks after Shorty G arrived to stay in our home. I was bending down

to say "good-night" to him, got my face real close and he BIT my nose! He immediately got a loud "NO - BAD BOY!!"

I believe it was just one of those things that was instinctual on his part and he GOT the message when he got yelled at. It

has never happened again.

It's something I worry about though.......how is he going to be with children - I don't think I'd trust him.

My granddaughters are all young adults so no more babies and little ones around here.

Boxers are SO stoic and usually laid back - so this feisty behavior is hard for me to accept.

How old is your son?

Also to give Parker the benefit of the doubt.....he DID growl at your son which is a warning to "cut it out" so maybe your son coming close in right away

happened when he was still in his warning mode.

Since I admit I know less about Shih Tzus than anyone here - I will be very interested to see what the experts say.

• Like 10

That is upsetting, I would say the low grumbling sound is a warning, maybe the fact your son leant over him after his warning, made him snap?

Parker should be lower in rang than your son.

I think Marlene is right, get him of the sofa, give him his own place where nobody may touch him while he is asleep, that way he can always go to his place when he wants to be left alone.

Also it makes him lower in rang than your son who is alowed on the sofa.

We first had a bench now its a pillow in the kitchen, nobody is alowed to touch Gizmo there, it works perfectly.

Good luck.

• Like 10
Jo-Anne

If you know Parker gets grumpy while he sleeps, as you are saying, then put him somewhere where he has his own world, that no one can be in. Is been said I believe.

You have to exclude that he might be in pain? because mostly there is a low grump also! Be carefull with "bending"over to a dog, 9 out of 10 times it might go good, but they really don`t like that,

it is threatening. I really don`t know if Parker is bossy or anything during the day...... but for now...give him a nice quiet area to sleep, how is Evan? bet you he did not expect that to happen.mini-graphics-dogs-694256.gif

Edited by Jo-Anne
  • Like 7

Thank you for all the advise. My son is 4, so he can annoy the dogs sometimes, but they are always really good with him. His loves to stick his face in theirs to get kisses and they have never had a problem with this. It's when they are sleeping that they get mad at him. I have had to tell him (yell at him) several times to leave them alone when they are sleeping. This time was actually more of an accident which is why Evan went to go say sorry to Parker. So maybe getting them off the couch is a good idea. Lexi actually did the same thing to him several months ago when he bothered her while sleeping, but she has never done it since. It's not even really being bothered while sleeping, I bother them all the time by moving them, etc. It's the leaning on them or over them. My son being 4, doesn't really understand that his 40 lbs. leaning on a 5 or 13 lb. dog is not comfortable. Thanks again!

• Like 10
Sophie's Haven

Our Bailey is a CRAB when it comes to his sleep time......he will even growl at the paws if he is disturbed. In my case my guys are rescues and I would not trust them around kids because even as an adult I know Bailey still does not like a suprise pickup from the behind and he still cowers down when I go to pet him on his head and he knows I am not going to hurt him. I think what you did by correcting Parker right away was correct and I would not give him couch privilege until he earns it. In Bailey's case there was a time I could not even move him without a growl warning......but each time I would tell him NO and move him anyways and each and every night I still continue to move him to let him know I am BOSS and he no longer does it even in a sound sleep........but he still growls at the girls when they invade his sleeping space........I would just work with him and correct him if he reacts.......... I have been known to be a bit snappy to the hubby if he disturbs me when I am sleeping....of course I can apoligize.....the last time that Bailey growled at me for disturbing him and he was corrected he waited a minute and then came to me and gave me a lick on the cheek........his way of saying I AM SORRY I guess...... sometimes I think he is a humanpaw........

• Like 6

It's good that he gave a warning growl and that he did not bite. I once read that if a dog wants to bite, they will bite, so if they snap and miss, it was because they meant to miss, so although it's not good that they snapped, it is good that they know to make it a miss know what I mean? it sounds like you handled the situation well. As others said, I'd take away couch privileges right now, make sure your son respects Parker's space when he's sleeping, and that they are always supervised together. Also, maybe have your son do some obedience training with Parker (sit, down, stay with treats) so that a) Parker sees your son as above him in rank and b ) he associates your son with getting yummy treats!

Edited by babnaw
  • Like 7
Marlene

My daughter has a neighbor and good friend with 3 boys. She is the Mom who always has a houseful of kids.

They brought in a Lab puppy some years ago. She was a sweet, happy, kid loving dog. She had a crate in the master bedroom where she slept at night,

sometimes napped and would accept as her safe place if she needed to be separated.

One day she was in her crate, door closed, napping and one of the neighbor kids went in and stuck his fingers in the crate.......Bella bit him!

The Mom of the house had a fit and was going to have her put down for biting a child.

Then *I* had a fit and told her the kids, ALL of the kids needed to know that crate is Bella's domain and she is to be LEFT ALONE when in there - period!

The short experience I have with Shih Tzu's tell me it is their nature to want to be up high. Maybe you could put a crate on the couch or some higher spot like a dedicated chair that would be his domain. Shorty has a small, plush dog bed on one end of the couch - he doesn't get on any of the furniture unless it's to get on a lap. He loves his little round bed - it's HIS spot.

I imagine your 4 year old feels terrible - that he was almost bitten and that Parker is in trouble but he is pretty young to understand all the nuances of dog pack behavior.

Hugs to all of you....I imagine everyone is upset.

Edited by Marlene
  • Like 7

Sorry to hear Parker did this. I would have been shocked and worried also, but as I read the comments, they sure made sense. This board has such great members with good advice. I remember watching an episode of Ceasar Milan where he said he will tell his dogs to get off the sofa or whatever, every now and then, because he can. Meaning, the dog must always know the human is the leader of the pack, no matter what.

• Like 4

Yes, I was very shocked as he had never done this before. I am always getting on my son for bothering the dogs when they are sleeping. He says, "but I just want to give them kisses/hugs." Then I respond with, "how would you like it if you were sleeping and I woke you up just to give you kisses/hugs?" It's funny because Parker loves to lay and sleep next to Evan on the couch, even if Evan is annoying him. I will just have to be more strict with Evan and with Parker being on the couch. Thanks everyone!

• Like 4