I hate when I miss a cue!

I hate when I miss a cue that a housetraining pup wants to go outside!

When Mr. T was a pup I did it once where he ran twice to the door and whined, but he had just been out so I figured he was just being whiny and then he proceeded to hop up onto my couch and take a poop! Of course I felt like a big meanie at that point and after I cleaned up the poop (luckily the couch is leather so easy to clean) I told him how sorry I was for ignoring him telling me he needed to go out.

Rebel goes outside if I bring her out, but also goes on a pee pad in the house sometimes too. Well, she just ran to the stairs and whined and I ignored her because she had been outside and had a pee and poop very recently, so then she ran over to her pad and peed. It's good she knew to go to her pad, but I feel so foolish for not bringing her out again. I want her learning to let me know when she has to go and wanting to go outside to go so I can get rid of the pads eventually, and I could kick myself because I just ignored the perfect opportunity to reinforce her training, ugh!

• Like 4

I did they once with parker when we first got him. He was on the couch and he walked over to the edge and barked. I thought he was barking at Lexi who was on the floor below him (at this point he was too scared to jump off the couch on his own). I tell him quiet and walk away for a few seconds. I go back into the living room to find pee on my couch. I was so mad. ..... at myself! Pour guy just wanted down because he had to pee and I tell him to be quiet!

• Like 5
Marlene

I think we've all had a similar experience - especially when it's a dog fairly new to our home.

• Like 3
PipsMom

I hate when I miss a cue that a housetraining pup wants to go outside!

When Mr. T was a pup I did it once where he ran twice to the door and whined, but he had just been out so I figured he was just being whiny and then he proceeded to hop up onto my couch and take a poop! Of course I felt like a big meanie at that point and after I cleaned up the poop (luckily the couch is leather so easy to clean) I told him how sorry I was for ignoring him telling me he needed to go out.

Rebel goes outside if I bring her out, but also goes on a pee pad in the house sometimes too. Well, she just ran to the stairs and whined and I ignored her because she had been outside and had a pee and poop very recently, so then she ran over to her pad and peed. It's good she knew to go to her pad, but I feel so foolish for not bringing her out again. I want her learning to let me know when she has to go and wanting to go outside to go so I can get rid of the pads eventually, and I could kick myself because I just ignored the perfect opportunity to reinforce her training, ugh!

Think we've all missed the cues and still do on occasion and like yourself feel bad because I dropped my eye off the ball and got it wrong.

But they love us never the less...

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

I can see Mr. T and Rebel having a heart to heart about how they need to train MOM and beleive me like the others have said we have all dropped the ball........of course it never fails they have to potty after YOU have already got comfy or have your hands full!!!!!

• Like 3