Skulking around to try and rescue Shih Tzus from a hoarder

Marlene

I got a call today from the head of the Shih Tzu rescue I volunteer with.........Here's the story.

Apparently a vet in a town near to me has been made aware of a shameful situation involving 23 Shih Tzus who are not being cared for

as they should be, and owner who is wayyyy over the limit with dogs in town.

As I know it, he has 23 dogs, 15 of which are pregnant females :-(

The vet got in touch with Animal Control who contacted the man a few weeks ago but didn't follow through.

It has now become desperate and AC has finally cited him and told him he needs to get down to 4 dogs by tomorrow.

A woman known by AC and Shih Tzu rescue has been notified to help. She has agreed to take all the dogs he will give up.

She is working with Shih rescue but doesn't want him to know that. He does not want his dogs to go to rescue.....well what DOES he want!?!?

Dump them all in a shelter? Grrrr.

So tomorrow morning I am going to be available, if this guy follows through and help get these dogs to a "better place".

The husband of the director of this Shih Tzu rescue is a vet, so they have kennels and space to receive these dogs. After vetting, spaying neutering - they will go to foster homes.

Keep your fingers crossed he shows up and is willing to relinquish the dogs to a better life.

I'll update tomorrow.

• Like 6
Pawz4me

That's a LOT of dogs. And the puppies to come! I hope things work out. I hope he relinquishes them and enough foster homes can be found. And yes, as Poncho said I hope the owner gets help for his hoarding issue.

• Like 2
Sunlite

Hoping he does the right thing...what a sad situation. Hoping the dogs are not ill as well...

• Like 1

I had a 26-dog show kennel when I lived in S FL, but I also had kennel help! I can manage 12 myself if only one or two are in full coat, but that's a full-time job and my DH does still help. I can't imagine trying to take care of so many without assistance. It sounds to me as if this man is living off puppy sales.

• Like 1
Sophie's Haven

Hope things all work out well for everyone involved.....another sad story.

• Like 2
Marlene

This was a classic example of people having more pets than they can take care of.

It was right off the TV show, Hoarding or one of the Animal Precinct shows.

He brought 15 dogs to us - about 1/2 are pregnant females.

All of them are filthy, matted with skin conditions :-(

The gentleman was very sad, bowed and bent but he did say it was going to make his own life better,

not having to feed and clean up after that many dogs. Sounds like his wife is the main culprit and he doesn't interfere - just does

what she tells him to.

Apparently this has satisfied Animal Control for now........he is left with 4 adults and 2 litters of puppies (I don't think AC

counts the puppies until they're older).

I'll update when I know more.

It's gonna take a BIG village to care for these dogs (especially when the puppies are born very soon).

• Like 1
Missysmom

I'm so glad he did come and turn in the dogs. Prayerfully they won't just get more... I'm very sure it was hard to give them up, we all know how they capture your heart..

Bless you and your rescue for getting them, taking care of them and finding them forever homes.

• Like 1
Sunlite

So glad he turned them over, best for all involved. Do they have enough places to foster these dogs?

• Like 1
Marlene

There are two Shih Tzu rescues involved in this. From the little bit I've heard - it sounds like

they have it reduced to a more manageable pandemonium and started sorting them as what needs to be done.

Cherry eye for starters.....

Wait til the puppies start being born.......Do Shih Tzus tend to have small litters? 2-4?

• Like 1
Sophie's Haven

So glad to hear that he turned some of them in.....such a sad sitution for all involved. People who hoard have a sickness and from the stories that I have heard they really do not get proper treatment after the animals are confiscated to where some start hoarding dogs again. The sad part is if the females have not gotten proper medical care during pregrancy is not a good start for the newborns.

• Like 1
Marlene

One of the Mama's was supposedly 45 days along........that surprises me that they had "a record" of her mating.

The thing is the dogs were so poorly cared for, I can't imagine anyone would buy a puppy from those cirumstances and that home.

This is not an area that is known for puppy mills - still, I suppose puppies might have been sold by a "middleman" . At selling age, they would still be relatively

clean and healthy (?) or easy to make presentable.

I honestly don't think they are puppymillers.........I'd bet they were in over their heads, elderly and not making good decisions.

I wonder if any of you ever saw the "Hoarding - Buried Alive" segment set in Hawaii with an Asian family? The impetus to get their hoard removed as that Child Protection Services was

going to take their 2 young children. The Mother/Wife was the culprit and fighting everyone who wanted to help. The husband was weak, pitiful and wiped out. He

couldn't stand up against his wife. This gentleman I met yesterday was an elderly, bent, shabby Japanese man who was just "beaten down". He did say his life was going to be easier since

he would not have to feed 23 dogs and clean up after them every day. His wife may have been oblivious to how bad "her babies" were. It reminded me of that "Hoarding" segment.

• Like 3
Marlene

Just had another conversation with the head of my rescue......3 of the Mama dogs are whelping as we speak.

X-rays have shown 3, 4 and 6 puppies. So 13 puppies will hopefully be delivered alive tonight.

Most of the original

15 have been shaved and groomed - eye infections in several, 4 with cherry eyes, 3 umbilical hernias, toenails growing into their pads, nasty skin and ear infections.

It is felt these dogs....for what it's worth.....have never been outside. Can you imagine what their home is like?

To me, new at Shih Tzu Rescue it is just sickening and astounding - to the Shih Tzu rescues......they have seen it all before.

I cannot foster as I am already over my limit with 3 dogs - one a foster. It breaks my heart not to be able to care for one of these Mama's and a litter -

but it's just something I can't do.

I have offered to help bathe, groom, transport any of these I can.

In a few days I will be able to transport one of the males who was neutered and 2 older puppies (4 mon) to a foster home.

Edited by Marlene
  • Like 3
Summerangel

It's going to be a very night... I'm praying everything goes well for the moms and you have 13 healthy pups..

But it sounds like with grooming and shaving and treating all the elements it's been a very busy day already..

It can't be easy seeing the dogs come in, in such a state.... :( but I'm glad the couple have given some up and most importantly I'm very pleased that the dogs are getting the care and attention they deserve...

Well done to you all :) you are a blessing from up above :)

• Like 3
PipsMom

I'm thankful the little pups will come into the world today and they won't have any knowledge of the tragic circumstances their mother has had to endure for so long....starting life with a clean slate.

• Like 3
missy dawn

Crystal, that was a sweet thing to say! And i agree with you.

sheila-shih tzu dreamer

• Like 2
Marlene

Still skulking around this hoarder who has a few dogs left.

Today I transported 2 of his puppies he agreed to give up - 2 girlies about 3-4 months old.

Be still my heart - this is the first time I've had this age puppies in my hands.

SO CUTE! SO SMALL! But boy could they pitch a fit all the way on my trip.

They started out making baby moans like I so love from Shorty G - but they soon escalated to high

pitched screeches:-)

They were about the size of fluffy chipmunks.

When they got where they were going I was able to see some of the puppies born from this original hoarders transport.

3 teeney beebees - about the size of teensey mousies. SO SWEET! I was able to kiss each one.

The Mama was only about a year old - had 4 pups, one didn't make it. Mama is just a baby herself and doesn't know what she's supposed to do.

They are in a vet hospital so during the day, staff if making sure beebees get to nurse but are taking them home at night to hand feed every 2 hours to make sure

they are fed.

• Like 3
missy dawn

Marlene your post bout made me cry.they are so tiny and small, and dont have any idea whats going on.bless your heart for all that you are doing!

Sheila-shih tzu dreamer

• Like 3
Missysmom

Marlene your post really tugged at my heart too since when we got our lil Missy they said she'd already had at least one litter of pups and she was just a baby herself too... Soooo sad.. Bless you for getting them and giving them the care and homes they need.

• Like 4
PipsMom

Oh my goodness! That is just heart breaking to know what the poor mother has been through so young herself and not knowing how to nurse them.

Words can't describe how that makes me feel :(

Edited by PipsMom
  • Like 2