Skulking around to try and rescue Shih Tzus from a hoarder

betsy12345

This has just pulled at my heart strings - to think a baby herself having puppys. Well done for all you are doing for them.

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

I had to chuckle reading about how sweet the noise.... then to the high pitch screech.......it is amazing the pitch they can reach.......hope things work out well for the new babies and the mom.....at least now she will have a second chance on life and learn to grow up to be a dog and do doggie fun things. That will happen thanks to you and the organization your afililated with. Is it possible to snap some pictures?

• Like 1
Marlene

" Is it possible to snap some pictures?"

I don't have a quick way to take pictures - no cell phone or digital camera so I have to

take a roll the old fashioned way :-)

But if I am sent pictures or the puppies appear on the rescue adoption page - I'll share

Edited by Marlene
  • Like 1
Marlene

Another chapter in this sad situation.........

When last I moved more puppies, the person that is handling the situation told me there were 3 more dogs and she

was going to try to get the couple to relinquish them. Mind you......she has been wonderful, patient, understanding, consoling and

trying to do what's best for the dogs without shaming and belittling the owner. She did say (to me) if he wouldn't relinquish the last 3.....she was going to get adult protective services involved.

Animal Control was already on the case which is why we've been able to slowly take possession. By now, she has been inside the home and found

it unfit for human, let alone animal habitation. She did make the decision to contact Adult Protective services which agreed with her.

They have been given 60 days to clean up and clear out before they and any pets can move back in.

At this point we have the 3 adult dogs, all un-neutered (as were all the rest of the 23) and are trying to find foster homes for them - to be neutered and

possibly returned to the couple within 60 days. The 3 dogs are all 10 years old.

As I understand it, the wife is somewhat senile and the husband is old, frail, tired and beaten down. I doubt they will be able to get it done.

I don't have any idea if there is family who will rally around and get them the help they need........someone should have done something a LONG time ago.

So sad but hopefully all the dogs are going to get a chance at the life they deserve.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...
Marlene

A little update on these confiscated dogs and puppies.  Nearly all the adults have been adopted, NONE wil be going back to the owners.

As I had said before, after coming into rescue 3 of the dogs started having puppies - I believe there were 10.  One or two died right away.  They were preemies and the Mamas were not in good health.  But there was one little guy named "Tidbit" who struggled and struggled.......he was the runt and like Adam Ant he just couldn't gain.  Sadly he did not make it - at 10 weeks old and 10 oz he had no reserves.

Just heard from the head of the Shi rescue.......she has 3 more puppies from 2 litters..........I might, I just might :-/  We'll see .

Edited by Marlene
  • Like 4
PipsMom

Thank you for the update even though it was a sad ordeal from the start.

Come on Marlene reserve one......you know you want to ❤️

• Like 3
Marlen

Dear me... That story broke my heart... I'm glad so many of them managed to find a home! And fortunately, we don't have those kind of hoarding cases here...

If there were any Shih rescues here, i know I would be tempted to get them  all ;) Especially puppies! :D 

• Like 3
Marlene
On 5/26/2015 at 12:18 PM, PipsMom said:

Come on Marlene reserve one......you know you want to ❤️

Oh yeah!  It's so hard being a grown-up sometimes.  I am going to be caring for my daughters dog (at our house) for 3 weeks in June.  He is a really

good boy but still.......it is one more dog in very small quarters.  And.......of course........I'd have to talk my husband into it.

But man oh man - I've never cared for a Shih Tzu puppy.  Lots of Boxer puppies but the thought of an 8 week old makes me all dizzy.  Is there a medicine for that.......puppy breath insanity?

Edited by Marlene
  • Like 5
Luna

Such a tragic situation!  Thank you for everything you did for those Tzu Marlene.  If anyone wonders how Breeders can place adult dogs, this is what happens when they DON'T.  I would rather give my adults loving fur-ever homes when they have finished their show/breeding careers than get into this kind of situation.  Of course, there are some who will never leave us, but if I am to continue to try to improve I cannot keep everyone forever!  And without people trying to constantly maintain and improve a Breed, soon there won't be any left.

• Like 3
Marlen

I want to believe that breeders, real, reputable ones, know what's best for their dogs, and have wisely made their plans. So, I can't see them actually hoarding...However, puppy millers or even home breeders that have it as a hobby, yep...I can see them getting "attached" to their dogs for all the wrong reasons...

• Like 1
Marlene

Yep.....I think that's what it was - a hobby gone horribly awry.  Not sure why, but none of their dogs were spayed/neutered and he questioned us about why do we need to neuter the males if the females are going to be spayed (by us).  This was more than hoarding dogs like a puppy miller.  The dogs had never been outside, some were in the 10-13 yr age range.  They had never been crated.  The home, yard, the people themselves were terribly neglected.  They did sell a dog here and there but some they refused to sell - even when we offered $500 a dog.  I have to wonder if there was any family.....even neighbors who knew how bad it was?  These people, probably for mental reasons were not able to see it needed to be done..........their vet is the one who stepped up.

• Like 1