How much of a problem is pooh eating?

Tzu eat his/her pooh?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Does your Tzu eat pooh?

• Never
    • Only once or twice
    • Only when I'm not around.
    • Nothing I do seems to get him/her to stop.

PurpleBunni

Before joining this forum, I had heard of dogs eating cat pooh. In fact it is Becky's favorite "treat", but that was an easy fix. The more I am reading the more alarmed I am that it may be more than I can handle. If the puppy is poohing when I am not in the room, how in the world do I train him/her to stop?

Thank you,

Melissa

• Like 5
Pawz4me

There are things you can add to their food that makes the poop taste so bad it becomes unappealing. For-Bid is one. And there are other things. If I remember correctly steak tenderizer is one. And I seem to remember that some people claim feeding the dog some pineapple works. The only dog I've had who had a serious problem with coprophagia (the technical term ;)) was very regular, so it was pretty easy for me to make a point to go out with her and pick it up immediately.

• Like 6
ParadiseTzu

Pooh eating is Sassy Mae's only bad habit. Terrible when we first got her as a puppy. We never let her out without us and with a sharp uh uh from me if she turns to look at it, she now poohs and runs to me immediately. I then scoop it up for disposal. When hubby takes her out, she occassionally takes advantage of him.

• Like 6
Sophie's Haven

We have a few on here that are members of the Poop Eaters Club......I have a couple of members in my paw family and I have spent money on store bought remedies......poo pills....pineapple......pumpkin.....ect. The only thing that works for me .......when you see them in the act....a tap on the nose and a firm NO has been the only thing the has given me results which also was the suggestion from my vet when I asked him about it. I go outside with my guys when it is potty time and it is to the point now that when they poo they will turn to smell and then look up at me to see if I am watching (to which I am) then they will walk away...........

• Like 6
Vicki

Before joining this forum, I had heard of dogs eating cat pooh. In fact it is Becky's favorite "treat", but that was an easy fix. The more I am reading the more alarmed I am that it may be more than I can handle. If the puppy is poohing when I am not in the room, how in the world do I train him/her to stop?

As another member of the "Poop Eater's Club", it's really nothing to be alarmed about. It's just OUTRIGHT GROSS to us! (Oh, and their breathe!)

When a mama dog has puppies, she instinctively eats their poops to keep everything clean around her puppies. She even licks them to get their poops "flowing" in the first few days of their lives and to keep them clean..

The mama dog usually continues this "practice" while her puppies are still nursing too and up until the time they start eating solid foods.

Of my five shih tzu, four have been known to eat poop! One of those four has completely quit and all on her own. The other three continue, but have REALLY cut back, so I have hopes that it end someday SOON!

Letting them know you do disapprove is extremely helpful and usually keeps them from doing it when you're watching.

If you can always watch them, I wish you LOTS of luck in breaking the habit quicker than I have.

Hang in there!

Vicki

• Like 6
missy dawn

We have a few on here that are members of the Poop Eaters Club......I have a couple of members in my paw family and I have spent money on store bought remedies......poo pills....pineapple......pumpkin.....ect. The only thing that works for me .......when you see them in the act....a tap on the nose and a firm NO has been the only thing the has given me results which also was the suggestion from my vet when I asked him about it. I go outside with my guys when it is potty time and it is to the point now that when they poo they will turn to smell and then look up at me to see if I am watching (to which I am) then they will walk away...........

we bought some kind of stuff one time to mix with their poo and it didnt do well with the babies.when they actually tried to poopy,its was like a slime and we had to quit the stuff.never worked at all.then the tries the meat tenderizer,I think that made it even more tastier, :wacko::blink::roflmao:

sheila-shih tzu dreamer

• Like 6
armytzus

Mine have never eaten dog poo, but they will try to sneak a guinea pig poo treat every once in a while, lol

• Like 5
Marlen

lol :D It's funny when I think of a dog trying to eat another animal's poo :P Mine have never done it, not even once! I do have the unfortunate experience though, with my cocker spaniel. He was horrible and we did manage to prevent him from doing it when we gave him for-bid. :) But, I've never had it happen with my tzu :P

• Like 5
PipsMom

I read this earlier in the day, before I could write I smelled a familiar odor.

Rounded the corner and caught her in the act with a log in the mouth....

I had to ply her mouth open to shake it out of, she was hanging on for dear life to it

I really don't understand what the attraction to their own poo

• Like 5
PipsMom

I read this earlier in the day, before I could write I smelled a familiar odor.

Rounded the corner and caught her in the act with a log in the mouth....

I had to ply her mouth open to shake it out of, she was hanging on for dear life to it :w00t:

I really don't understand what the attraction is to their own poo

• Like 2

Coprophagia is so common in Shih Tzu that it is more common to have a poo-eater than one that doesn't. Some of mine don't at all, a few do occasionally, and I have one that will literally wait by the "chute" for a "fresh delivery" and nothing except picking her up and hanging on for dear life will stop her. It's easy if you only have one or two, but gets more complicated as numbers add up. I basicallly ignore it.

• Like 6
Summerangel

Well I'm going to join your poo eating club :)

WELL!! Not me personally!! Yuck...

LACEY...

Dirty little pup... She tries to eat her own.. But never once has she tried to eat Donte's...

I too go outside with them every potty time..

But Hubby sees to them in the morning as he's awake before me.. 6oclock is quite earlier enough for me to rise, thank you! Lol

So he sometimes gets side tracked and Lacey's takes advantage of the moment...

• Like 4
Parker14

Parker, thank goodness is not a poop eater, but his big sis, Lexi is. She is a Yorkie mix, which yorkies are also known for this dirty little problem. I can proudly say she has not eaten her poop in 2 months. Not because of anything I bought from the store - none of those things worked and I couldn't get her to eat pineapple. I had to train her the old fashion way. Every time she pooped I would call her in with the "come" command so she knew she would get a treat. She would sneak a quick nibble in a couple times in the beginning, but she has gotten a lot better. If I wasn't there watching her, I have no doubt she would continue to eat her poop.

• Like 6
babnaw

Mr. T and Rebel thankfully don't eat their own or each other's poop, but if they have access to the kitty litter box they will go for a nugget from there. I have a baby gate up in that doorway so the cats can get in and out of the room where the litter box is, but the dogs can't go hunting for treasure!

• Like 7
Pawz4me

Mr. T and Rebel thankfully don't eat their own or each other's poop, but if they have access to the kitty litter box they will go for a nugget from there. I have a baby gate up in that doorway so the cats can get in and out of the room where the litter box is, but the dogs can't go hunting for treasure!

That's what we do here, although thankfully Yogi's never shown an interest in the litter box. He is quite interested in the cats' kibble, though. ;)

• Like 4
IpHiNiTi

I have to laugh...

Even the boys I had would do this... Part of me thinks its because they know there not supposed to go in the house... I used to chaulk it up to motherly insticts, but the last litter I had was "5 pups and one cup" ............ They'd eat it as it came out off each other... Its highly gross..

• Like 7
Vicki

I sure agree it's "highly gross"! I just hate it when I smell it on their breath, and usually put them on the floor and tell them how Yucky they smell.

Sure doesn't do any good at all!

I just deal with it as best I can and do interupt them when I see them doing it!

YUCKY!

Vicki

• Like 4
missy dawn

Only 1 out of 5 ( this is including molly) does not EVER do it.thats Minnie Pearl

sheila-shih tzu dreamer

• Like 3
PurpleBunni

Thank you for all of the responses! You have certainly given me a lot to think about. Going outside really shouldn't be too much trouble because we always walk Becky rather than sending her outside to do her business. I would especially not leave a small breed outside unsupervised. My concern is while crated. From the sound of how much some of your dog's love the taste of the pooh, I am afraid my tzu will be making him/herself snacks while crated. Or sneaking behind a piece of furniture. Is that crazy?

Melissa-

Edited by PurpleBunni
  • Like 4
Missysmom

Crazy? NO! Everytime Missy goes Near a corner or behind a piece of furniture I'm there saying - what are you doing? Where are you going?! And she's not known for accidents but you a never know or can be too sure around these guys! She always looks at me like - ah there's my neurotic mom again! ;)

• Like 4

One thing I can vouch for - puppies from singleton litters usually DON'T eat poop. I have heard this before and - with Dot, at least - it's true. She has never shown any interest in her poop or anyone else's.

• Like 4
PurpleBunni

That is really very interesting, Luna. Do single puppy litters happen very often? I wonder what the coronation is..?

Melissa-