ParadiseTzu

Have a question since I am very unfamiliar with 2 dogs where one doesn't seem to like the other.  Sassy Mae has adjusted very slowly to Willie Boy in the 2 months since we brought him into our home.  She has quit growling and snapping at him every time he gets close and he does get close! So in the last few days she has started chasing him in the den floor.  She doesn't seem irritated with him but a couple of times it has ended with her giving a loud bark at him.  We are trying to figure out if it is the beginning of her trying to play with him or if it is just trying to still be aggressive with him.  I did notice this morning during their 'session' that her tail was high and wagging whenever she stopped chasing and just stood beside him.  A good sign?

• Like 6
Missysmom

I'd say so with the tail wagging! Missy actually does that with us, she'll kinda jump forward towards us and bark wanting to play with us and her tails wagging a mile a minute! Sounds like good news to me! :)

• Like 5
PipsMom

Good sign! Soon you will be hearing single barks from both as they invite the other to come play.

• Like 4
Luna

Yes, she's trying to play with him.  :)  She is also making sure he know who's boss, lol!

• Like 3
ParadiseTzu

Yay!!! Thank you all so much.

• Like 1
Pawz4me

Hard to say w/o seeing it in person, but I'd say she's trying to play.  It also sounds to me as if she's unsure, like she doesn't really know how to play with another dog.  Has she always been an only dog?

• Like 3
ParadiseTzu

No, when we first got her at 12 weeks old, we had a golden retriever who played very nicely with her.  The golden would lay down and bob her head up and down very softly playing while Sassy Mae jumped all over her.  The Golden  died and later we got Jaxon, a border collie/red heeler mix.  Sassy Mae was about 3 and he was 6 months old.  He was way too rough in his play and she would growl at him making him get back, seemed justified.  Later tho, she began to chase him around the yard both running 90-0.  The difference in her chasing Jaxon than Willie Boy is that she is high pitched non stop barking (loud) after Jaxon.   Anybody who has ever seen it says it is the funniest thing they ever saw.  The other difference is that they make lap after lap of the back yard in her chase after Jaxon, he's  so fast she has to cut across their circle to get behind him again When she chases Willie Boy it is not a lap of the den, she is chasing him about 6 feet and they stop and look at each other and then go again.  We watch and are curious because I would think if it was play, one would chase one and then the roles would reverse, maybe it's the dominance thing tho.  Willie Boy is definitely not scared of her, tho.

• Like 3
Shihtzumummy2

I'd say that this is a very good sign of acceptance, my two are brothers from the same litter, and even now at five years of age, one will start the play sequence, bark, tail high and wagging, front legs down bum in the air, and just wait a moment then its all on. We have to open all the doors for them to run outside, and to watch them is comical. As I said earlier , Sam is the sprinter, and runs like a flash, Bob tries desperately to catch him, but rarely does. However Sam will retire first lol. Then once they have caught up, it's sparring, tumbling and yapping together lol. It's one of the highlights of my day.

• Like 4
ParadiseTzu

I'd say that this is a very good sign of acceptance, my two are brothers from the same litter, and even now at five years of age, one will start the play sequence, bark, tail high and wagging, front legs down bum in the air, and just wait a moment then its all on. We have to open all the doors for them to run outside, and to watch them is comical. As I said earlier , Sam is the sprinter, and runs like a flash, Bob tries desperately to catch him, but rarely does. However Sam will retire first lol. Then once they have caught up, it's sparring, tumbling and yapping together lol. It's one of the highlights of my day.

​Yes, I can see why, that would be a pleasure to watch your babies playing like that.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Sophie's Haven

Sounds like a good sign to me...........Sophie #1 paw the queen of the house does the same thing to let everyone know she wants to play INDY 500 in the morning..........she will let out a bark, front paws down and butt and tail up high as if to say GET SET....GET READY........GO...........our house is laid out that they can run down the hall and run to the other side of the house and back into the great room again so it is their raceway  and when I hear Sophie bark like that in the morning I stand clear.........sometimes it is only two paws but when there is 6 you need to get out of the way. That is the only time Sophie will play with them in the house and when outside she only likes to play with Bailey.  Otherwise napping and eating are her number one thing to do........the rest of them are welcome to join her but be quiet please!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3
Meiko'sMom

I think this is the beginning of her wanting to play, and she might be a bit unsure.  I sure hope so anyway.  Keep us informed.

• Like 2