My Little girl Lola is a year and a half.  we adopted her this past November when she was approximately 1 yr old..sad thing is that she had already had a litter of pups prior to her being found.  Overall she's sweet and loving and lazy inside and a running deer outside lol.  I work a normal 8-5 job.  When I come home she is so excited to see me that she jumps up and her teeth grab my clothing/skin and when I let her out, she nips my ankle the entire way. Otherwise she's calm, cool and the best fur baby ever

• Like 2
Missysmom

Welcome Belinda, Lola and Teddy, so glad you have joined us! When you get a chance please post a pic we'd Love to see your furbabies!

Your Lola sounds a lot like our Missy, she too was a rescue and had also had at least one litter of pups at a very young age. Bless you for rescuing and giving Lola a Wonderful furever home, she sounds like such a sweetheart! Can't wait to see her and hear all about her adventures!

• Like 1
Sophie's Haven

Welcome to Chatter and thank you for making a forever home for Lola........6 of my 7 wagging tail little stinkers are rescues so a big thank you from them.  Sounds like Lola forgets herself and gets overly excited when you come home.......you can gently take your foot and tap her or push her away from you  and use a firm NO to let her know you are not happy with her nipping. It may take some time but eventually she will get  the idea......you just have to be persistence and do each time she nips you. 

• Like 2
Pawz4me

Welcome!

This is the type of situation that I take the easy way out if possible.  It's certainly a bit annoying, but at the same time it's endearing and if it were me I wouldn't want to tamp out that enthusiasm too much.

So I'd try to find a small stuffed toy she really likes and keep that with me so that I could hand it to her when I walked in the door.  A dog who has a toy in her mouth can't nip.

Or I'd work on teaching her a good solid "sit" as a default behavior when you walk in.  Then you can greet her calmly and help her get over her initial excitement.

Yogi sometimes gets overly excited when I come in.  Not always, just occasionally.  At those times I usually just sit down on the floor and play with him a minute or two until he calms down.

• Like 2
Luna

Welcome to Chatter!  We'd love some pics of your furkids when you get a chance. :)  I am not one to talk about training as my bunch are quite unruly, lol.

• Like 2
PipsMom

Warm Welcome to you both.

Mine can be quite unruly and spoiled little brats too....but still need a firm mommie from time to time. They know from the tone of my voice when I'm serious.

when you come home retrain her that her over excitement can't inflict pain...when she jumps up or goes for clothes...shout NO, and turn your back to her, no matter which way she comes at you, turn your back....and do not make eye contact..... They do not like being shut out and ignored...use it to your advantage. Once she stays down and wondering What's up with mom...give praise but don't let it build up to excitement all over again. She will soon learn that's not acceptable behaviour.

When one of mine was young ...he wanted to nip my pants legs, shoes...latch onto something out of over excitement....

I learned that when he did it.....I just  stand still...frozen in my tracks for as long as it takes...When she looks up at you wondering what's going on...just say no bite like you mean it and again no eye contact.

Then take one step....if she goes for it again...freeze in place and say no bite like you mean it...repeat all the way to the door.

They soon learn that if she nips you stop and the game isn't fun anymore. Worked for me....

Edited by PipsMom
  • Like 2
beebalm

Warm Welcome to you both.

Mine can be quite unruly and spoiled little brats too....but still need a firm mommie from time to time. They know from the tone of my voice when I'm serious.

when you come home retrain her that her over excitement can't inflict pain...when she jumps up or goes for clothes...shout NO, and turn your back to her, no matter which way she comes at you, turn your back....and do not make eye contact..... They do not like being shut out and ignored...use it to your advantage. Once she stays down and wondering What's up with mom...give praise but don't let it build up to excitement all over again. She will soon learn that's not acceptable behaviour.

When one of mine was young ...he wanted to nip my pants legs, shoes...latch onto something out of over excitement....

I learned that when he did it.....I just  stand still...frozen in my tracks for as long as it takes...When she looks up at you wondering what's going on...just say no bite like you mean it and again no eye contact.

Then take one step....if she goes for it again...freeze in place and say no bite like you mean it...repeat all the way to the door.

They soon learn that if she nips you stop and the game isn't fun anymore. Worked for me....

Well said :thumb:

• Like 1
missy dawn

Welcome to chatter, we love pictures around here!

Sheila

babnaw

Welcome to the board!  Rebel jumps in excitement and Mr. T sometimes nips my ankles in excitement when I come home after being away.  I find if I sit down on the floor with them they will give me lots of kisses and I give them cuddles and they settle down quickly.  If the weather is nice I go outside in the backyard with them right away and either sit and cuddle with them for a few minutes or toss a ball for them to get their energy out.

• Like 2