pee pad be necessarily outside?

Dimitra

Hello everyone, my name is Dimitra and I am from Greece so sorry in advance for any language mistakes!

I'm getting a shih tzu puppy for the first time and I would appreciate if you helped me with some questions.

The vet told us that we should not take him out for a walk until he has completed all his vaccines, so meantime we will have to teach him using a pee pad. 

I'm thinking of crate training him in order he learns not doing his business in his bed, but outside the crate at the pad but I don't know where to place the pee pad. Should it be somewhere near it's crate / inside the house in another room where he would have easier access to the pad? Or at the balcony where he can't have access without me taking him or leading him there? (The balcony doors are usually closed because we live near a river and there are a lot of insects) 

• Like 4
ShihTzusAreCute

Hi and welcome :) If I were you I would put the pee pad next to the door and make sure he has acces to it at all times.You'll have to watch him like a hawk while he's outside of his crate anyways until he gets the hang of things. As for the crate, I will let the members who have experience with it advice you :)

• Like 5
Missysmom

Welcome Dimitra and congratulations on your new puppy! I'm so glad you've joined us here and can't wait to see pics of your new puppy!

I have nothing to add as I have a rescue and got her a bit older so will let those with puppies address your questions, I just wanted to welcome you!

• Like 4
Summerangel

Hello and welcome ?

I'm sorry I haven't got any advice to offer as I didn't crate train mine.

I'm sure someone will be a lone shortly. 

• Like 5
Pawz4me

Welcome!

I don't know that there's any one "best" answer for this.  You just do what seems to work for your pup and you.

I would place the pee pad somewhere near his crate and/or the main area where he will be playing and hanging out when not crated.  I'd want to make it as convenient as possible for him to get to a pad (and for me to get him to it!) while he's learning.  You could even put pads in different locations around your house if that seems to work best.

• Like 5
missy dawn

welcome to the forum!!

Sheila

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

Welcome to the forum and look forward to seeing pictures of your new paw. I do not crate my paws but do use pee pads.......I place them in each of my bathrooms and in the laundry room. I also use a grass box on my porch for when the weather in bad for them to use.

• Like 2
babnaw

Welcome!  I didn't use pee pads with Mr. T, but with Rebel I had a pee pad in the living room and one in my son's room for at night because she slept in his room.  I'd say to have one near her crate and one near the door at least until she is well-trained.

• Like 2
Dimitra

Another question my friends:

Many of you say that you didn't crate train your doggies. Weren't you nervous at the beginning, especially at nights when you were asleep, on what they are doing? Did you control them somehow?

• Like 2
Shihtzumummy2

Welcome to Chatter, another member from Greece, how lovely to meet you. I look forward to seeing photos of your Tzu. I crate trained both of my boys, but I did not use pee pads. I used to take the boys out to the garden area I wanted them to use as toilet area, as soon as they woke in the mornings, and straight after eating, and then during the day, every hour. Eventually at a very young age, like 12 to 14 weeks they were house trained. I did not however trust them entirely until they were about 18 weeks old, and even then I always took them outside to go potty every hour during the day, and after eating a meal. By six months of age they were trustworthy, and they'd bark to tell me they needed to go potty, once that was established I relaxed and my trust in them was complete. Good luck, just use patience, be consistent and ritualistic in your approach. They are very smart , but they do require direction from you.

• Like 3
Missysmom

We keep Missy in the bedroom with us with the door closed when we sleep. She wasn't a pup when we got her but we did the same when we did have puppies. I don't think I could sleep a wink knowing she was roaming the house, she would get in trouble for sure! ;) 

• Like 3
Shihtzumummy2

I agree, l was and am happier knowing that they are safe, warm and comfortable in their crate. Now they go in without me telling them, if I'm cooking they aren't allowed in the Kitchen, it's too dangerous with two. They are either outside in the big pen, it's huge actually, or they are in their crate. Babies are penned when young for safety so why not our pets? My opinion of course. When I did Paediatrics we had metal cots, with high sides, as Nurses we would never have gotten anything done if the children weren't restrained at certain times of the day, it just makes sense to me. I suppose having one pup is not so bad, but two together at the same age can be a nightmare, and I'm sure that goes for twin babies too. The parents must be exhausted most of the time  

• Like 3
babnaw

I crate trained Mr. T.  I didn't crate train Rebel as she was already partially pee-pad trained when I got her, so she slept with my son at night with a pee pad in the room and the door shut.  I made sure there was nothing for her to get into in his room and she did have accidents at first, but it was easy enough to clean off the hardwood floor and she didn't have accidents for very long.  Now Mr. T sleeps on his bed in my room and Rebel still sleeps with my son still, but even though they are both fully house-trained and don't generally cause trouble when unsupervised, I still close the bedroom doors at night as I would be too nervous to have them possibly roaming all over the house while I'm sleeping.

• Like 2