babnaw

I've been super stressed out about Rebel acting nuts toward other dogs while on leash and for the first minute sometimes when she meets them (barks, snarls, nips sometimes).  I know it's because she's nervous/scared and once she realizes the other dog isn't a threat she calms down (if it's someone I know and I let the dogs meet).  Well earlier today she played with a friend's dog at the park and she was really well-behaved, and then later today I had a friend come over with her dog and Rebel was a bit nuts for the first minute but then chilled out and behaved herself.

Then later I went to the dog park with Mr. T and a couple people I know were there with their dogs that play really well with Mr. T, as well as another couple with their two friendly dogs.  I explained to them how Rebel usually is with other dogs on leash and with initial greetings and asked if they and their dogs would be okay with that and they said it'd be safe/good to bring Rebel over, so I went home and got Rebel and brought her to the park and she was so good!  All the dogs were significantly bigger than her so she was a bit nervous at first, but she didn't even flip out at first like usual and although she spent some time by my feet and snarled/nipped a few times when she felt nervous with a dog coming toward her too quickly, she got along very well with the 5 dogs that were there and eventually started playing tag and wagging her tail and jumping to play with them.

I'm going to start bringing her to the dog park at least a few times a week if there are dogs I know/gentle dogs there and I can see her quickly becoming much more calm with introductions and on leash if I keep bringing her.  By the time we left she was so well-behaved on her leash and now both her and Mr. T are zonked right out from all their playtime!

• Like 8
ShihTzusAreCute

How nice :) I'm sure she'll be the most behaved dog ever in no time, now that she took the first steps in that direction.

• Like 3
babybluegirl

Ahh, what great news!  I can't wait to hear more good stories as each day passes with a trip to the park.

babybluegirl

7:56am

• Like 2
ParadiseTzu

Great news! I can imagine your pleasure. Good job, you too, babnaw, on your method.

• Like 2
Meiko'sMom

way to go Rebel.  Have fun with the other doggies.

• Like 1
babnaw

Thanks everyone.  It's been a catch 22 because to get her comfortable with other dogs I have to introduce her to lots of friendly dogs, but it's sometimes hard to find people who are okay with her flipping out on leash/for the first minute (which is understandable) and I also have to be sure that their dog will be calm while Rebel is misbehaving at first.  Thus far I just kept trying to introduce her to friend's dogs who were calm/submissive/super friendly and each time I can see her getting a bit better, but the dog park yesterday was a huge step for Rebel and me and I was so proud of her and how well she did.  It was so funny to watch her chasing a dog (in play) that was way bigger than her, but as soon as the other dog would turn around to chase her back she would run to me and jump on my legs for me to pick her up lol.

• Like 2
beebalm

That's such wonderful news! You are doing a great job babnaw :tracy:

Which one of your two fur babies in your tag is Rebel? Both of them are adorable! :dede:

• Like 2
Summerangel

Fantastic news... Keep up the good work ? 

I'm glad you've found some friendly dogs and owners to help you both..

• Like 2
babnaw

That's such wonderful news! You are doing a great job babnaw :tracy:

Which one of your two fur babies in your tag is Rebel? Both of them are adorable! :dede:

​Thanks :)  Mr. T is my Shih Tzu and Rebel is a Yorkie/Maltese/Lhasa Apso mix.

Fantastic news... Keep up the good work ? 

I'm glad you've found some friendly dogs and owners to help you both..

​Yeah, I'm really thankfully that people have been willing to help out.  Rebel has only made two trips to the dog park thus far so it's good to have people willing to visit one-on-one with her at my house too.  It seems most people at the dog park have really big dogs, which is fine if they are the super-friendly and chilled-out kind, but sometimes they are friendly but more in-your-face and even Mr. T who normally plays well with big dogs gets nervous if there are too many big dogs he doesn't know running up to him/around him to sniff him, so I haven't even brought him to the dog park for a week.  I'm hoping there will be at least one day this week that I can get them to the dog park with some friendly dogs again!

• Like 2