Good people are still around :-)

Marlene

Man I love being involved with the best people on earth......rescue people :-)
Yesterday a neighbor found a tiny dog laying under bushes in back of her cottage. She couldn't tell if it was dead.....called the local PD who sent out an officer. The little thing was alive but badly wounded - probably bitten and shaken by a large dog. She was taken to a vet where she has been given a 70% chance to live. 
I talked with my neighbor and offered my help....perhaps I could foster her until she is healed so she doesn't have to go to the local shelter. 
I'm waiting for a call back from the officer and the vet but meanwhile I've been in touch with the rescue I do a little work with - Peace of Mind Dog Rescue. They agreed to take her under their wing and I offered to foster her for a week or so until she is healed and up and around. She is 1-2, young and in otherwise pretty good shape. 
My city is picking up the vet bills.
Restores your faith in the goodness of people.

Injured dog village green.jpg

Edited by Marlene
  • Like 13
Summerangel

Shame the poor dog was hurt in the first place ? 

But on the flip side, it's brilliant news for what people have done, and are going to do for her... Well done ? 

Such a sweet looking paw ? 

• Like 7
Shihtzumummy2

Man I love being involved with the best people on earth......rescue people :-)
Yesterday a neighbor found a tiny dog laying under bushes in back of her cottage. She couldn't tell if it was dead.....called the local PD who sent out an officer. The little thing was alive but badly wounded - probably bitten and shaken by a large dog. She was taken to a vet where she has been given a 70% chance to live. 
I talked with my neighbor and offered my help....perhaps I could foster her until she is healed so she doesn't have to go to the local shelter. 
I'm waiting for a call back from the officer and the vet but meanwhile I've been in touch with the rescue I do a little work with - Peace of Mind Dog Rescue. They agreed to take her under their wing and I offered to foster her for a week or so until she is healed and up and around. She is 1-2, young and in otherwise pretty good shape. 
My city is picking up the vet bills.
Restores your faith in the goodness of people.

Injured dog village green.jpg

​Oh dear how very sad, I do hope she survives.

Yesterday, I was driving home after having my regular visit to my hairdresser, I turned into the main road not too far from our farm, and to my horror spotted a little golden Shih Tzu running along the pavement. My heart jumped out of my chest with shock, it was such an unusual thing to see here where I live. I turned my car around, and then went back to the little side lane,  I jumped out of my car and tried to attract the little Tzu. It took one look at me, and then bolted up the little lane I was parked in. I followed it all the way up the hill, where it eventually ran into one of the properties. It obviously lived there, gosh it yapped all the way. I knocked on the door of the house but there was no answer! I checked the side gate, the Tzu had managed somehow to enter the back garden. I checked to see where or how it had managed to get back in.  I observed some rocks that had been placed  between the drive and the bottom of the fancy metal gate. It occurred to me that this little Tzu had escaped before, and it's owners had tried to do something about it, albeit poorly in my opinion. The little Tzu, was constantly barking at me, and I can tell you it's bark would have woken the dead lol. I was rather nervous about leaving it, even though I could see that it lived in a rather splendid home, I was aware that it was outside,  and it was rather cold, and wet!! Anyhow I decided to knock on the first house I could see a car or any activity, and luck would have it the house next to the Tzu's had a car on the drive. The owner came to the door and I  told him what had gone on, he said "Oh it did that last week too, the owners were aware it had escaped and they had sorted it out!!!!" I asked him to please tell the Tzu's owner that their little guy had been on the main road, and could easily have been killed. I was more upset that the Tzu was alone, outside and lonely, not to mention able to escape it's home! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr to people who have a rather cavalier attitude to being pet owners!!!! End of rant sorry! 

• Like 7
Missysmom

Oh what a beautiful pup and thank goodness she's being helped. Bless you for all you do for these pups. Please keep us posted on how she does if you do get to foster her.

• Like 4
missy dawn

so glad you are offering to help and offering  love!

Sheila

• Like 4
Sunlite

Some people, sheesh I use that word loosely! I don't know why some choose to get a dog or any animal at all!

• Like 6
Meiko'sMom

you are a savior yourself for helping.  This is so sad for this little dog to be injured, but it sounds like she will have a full recovery. 

• Like 4
Marlene

Seems this lil girl is a little boy - an intact male.  Must be all that fur that hid his manhood from the first responders:-)

I hope to pick him up tomorrow - Monday.  I hate it that I had to leave him at the vet until then - he's on a 5 day stray.  He would have been much more comfortable and spoiled at my house!  

The vet staff named him "Stinky Joe" - I'm calling him Little Joe.

• Like 2
Marlene

So Little Joe is here  -  he perked up very quickly without that scared...."I might bite" look in his eye.

He immediately peed a BIG puddle and pooped 3 times in the den....thank goodness for tile floors and "so much" for the tech walk before they handed him off to me where they said he "pottied".

After that I hand fed him some chicken foot broth with homecooking and kibble.  That did it - I am his new best friend - works every time.

He is hanging out behind a baby gate giving terrier yips as Sophie the Boxer and Shorty G the Shih Tzu approach the baby gate.  I think he's going to be fine.  Will recuperate from bite wounds around his neck,an abcess on his head, blunt force trauma (probably a concussion) with bleeding into the sclera.

I will probably keep him a week to 10 days while he heals and then he will have a foster home and get adopted very quickly I'll bet - since he's small and young.

Waiting for my granddaughter to come over and take some pics with her phone.....she is my rescue sidekick and a sucker for any dog that needs help.

• Like 5
Shihtzumummy2

How kind you are, I so admire what you do

• Like 2
Marlene

Little Joe is a typical Terrier and thinks he can beat up my Boxer Sophie - she just ignores him.  After all she is a white Boxer Princess and things like that are definitely beneath her.  We'll see how that goes after a few days.
He pays no attention to Shorty G the gangster Shih Tzu.
For the most part they've been separated but I think all will be OK.  He may not like big dogs which is fairly typical of anklebiters.
So far he has been a good little boy.  He's too smart for me and the Clavomox w/PB  -  will have to ramp up to the 3 bite dose with Liverwurst :-)
He walks nicely on leash, always paying attention to me at this point.  Pees like a girl (giggle)

I have a few pics - will share when I can size them (they're too big)

Little Joe.jpg

Edited by Marlene
  • Like 3
Marlene

The powers that be didn't want me to share the second pic - which is smaller (?) but I'll try here - you can see the wounds on his neck.

He also had an abcess on his head and blood around the sclera of one eye.  The vet thinks he was shaken HARD along with the neck bites which gave him a concussion.  Also has a nasty bite wound on one ear.

Little Joe 2.jpg

Edited by Marlene
  • Like 5
minabey

Poor thing. Glad you got him. He probably wouldn't survive long if your neighbor hadn't found him. Thank you for what you do and I wish him a speedy recovery and a furever home.

• Like 4
Missysmom

OMG how awful, poor little Joe. Thank you sooo much for what you do and for helping little Joe recover from these awful wounds. Am praying for a full and fast recovery for him.

• Like 4
Sophie's Haven

Bless you Marlene for taking Little Joe under your care.........bless his heart.......he has been in what I term as "doggie hell".  It is good that he now will have a second chance in life and be a normal paw.

• Like 3
Marlene

Little Joe is all healed up and enjoying life with us.  It's kind of overwhelming right now with 4 dogs in the house so he is still shy but holds his own and doesn't start "stuff".

He wuvs his Mama (who wouldn't) and shares a pad with Sophie or Shorty G.  Daughter's dog Bentley is here (Aus Cattle Dog) who is too "in your face" for Little Joe.  I would love to see him as an only dog so he could just completely relax and exhale.  A lap to lie on, a comfy crate to sleep in, good food and walkies.  He loves his walks but doesn't require exercise.  Haven't seen him play with a toy.

He is going to go to the rescue org this week for neuter, his other vet care has been done and will then go into a foster home.  This rescue caters to seniors - both senior dogs and senior hooman beans.  Would love to see him as a companion to a quiet person who enjoys strolls and an attentive little dog.

His fur is something else!  SO coarse.  I gave him a bath after his scabs were gone and used cream rinse but it still feels like packing straw.  He does have a softer undercoat......wonder what he'd look like with a professional haircut?

He's a nice little guy.  It was a selfish pleasure to help him.

Edited by Marlene
  • Like 4
PipsMom

Bless his sweet little heart. Thank God for angels like yourself.❤️

• Like 5

Bless ur heart...

:date:

• Like 2
Shihtzumummy2

The powers that be didn't want me to share the second pic - which is smaller (?) but I'll try here - you can see the wounds on his neck.

He also had an abcess on his head and blood around the sclera of one eye.  The vet thinks he was shaken HARD along with the neck bites which gave him a concussion.  Also has a nasty bite wound on one ear.

Little Joe 2.jpg

​Awwwwwwww the poor wee darling

• Like 1
Marlene

Little Joe 2.jpg

​Awwwwwwww the poor wee darling

​All those scabs are gone, hair starting to grow back, nice and clean from a fancy schmancy shampoo and cream rinse.  His funny scruffy character really grows on you.  He is going to make someone a sweet, quiet companion.  I keep saying he looks like a muskrat (I've never seen a muskrat) and then I start singing "Muskrat Love".  LOL

• Like 1
Missysmom

Am so glad to hear little Joe is all healed and am praying he finds the perfect forever home. Bless you for nursing him back to health.

Marlene

someone is falling in love!

​LOL - I fall in love with everyone of them that passes through my hands.........even the ones I only transport.  I have the "Grandma Syndrome".   Spoil them like crazy, try to instill a few good habits but mostly help them learn people are good, no one is going to dump you ever again, let you stray and not look for you, hand you off to the first person who says "OK".  Then, when it's time for them to go to their forever home, I hand them over - happy for all involved.  Then I take a nap, clean up my house and wait for the next one I know will benefit from the way I do it.

• Like 3