Tzuinlove

I'm curious about training a wee one. We are taking Emerson out every hour right now and he does extremely well. The only time we have an issue is when he is up to play and then he will pee every 2 min it seems. Mostly just a few drops here and there. I know he doesn't really have any control at this age but I wondered how I should handle it? I keep a towel down when I have him down to play. He uses a puppy pad (and does great) at night right now and then we are taking him out every hour from 6 am to 11pm. Any info would be very much appreciated!!!!!!

ParadiseTzu

I have a five month old puppy in training right now. Started at eight weeks. Outside only, no puppy pads in the house. It only took him one day to learn what I wanted when I put him down on the grass, after that he would either pee or poopy every time I took him out. I also found out quickly that I needed to leash train too as he was getting distracted by walking too far away from the potty spot. But even with him pottying quickly each time I took him out, he would still have accidents on the floor.  

He turned five months on 6/11 and for the last three weeks he has had no accidents in the house. I dont consider him trained until the day he tells me somehow that he needs to go out.

I feed him on a very regular schedule and I think the poopy part came very easy because of that. He has never had many poopy accidents in the house.

And the most important thing for us - crate training. We tried a playpen with night time/sleeping in the crate and he didnt mind peeing in that playpen at all even tho he had just peed outside 20 minutes ago. He has never pottied in his crate, which is a wire one only big enough for him to turn around in. Last Sunday we left him for 5 hours while we went to a wedding and no accidents. On a daily basis, he gets free time in the house and is crated when I cant be in the room with him and then sleeps thru the night in it.

So, just time and patience and consistency, you will get there. Others will have to advise on the leaving when you work situation as I am retired.

• Like 1