Peeing issues with 8 yr old

Furr_Ball

Hi All,

We have an 8 year old family dog who has just arrived the UK in the past couple of days from Peru, and so far he is loving it as much as we are :-)

There have been long term problems with our wee Donato peeing, we knew this before he would arrive and hoped maybe this is something that can be helped.

He has already done it 4 times, again we have expected that this would be the case and opted to deal with this as hes a smashing dog and did not want to re home him over there because of this as we suspected they would have simply got rid of him on this basis.

Im just curious to what can be causing this, and, is it really too late in the day to rectify it?

When we put him in the garden he loves it because its open and can run about, something that hes never been used to as he lived in a 5 story flat before, so hes running about exploring his new world, and hes peeing a lot, just wee drops, but keeps trying to do this and quite often nothing comes out. Im not so familiar with dogs so this may be the fact hes a male and trying to mark his territory.

When he does this is the house its pretty random, and its even just after hes been out and did it, im just wondering about things like water, maybe he is getting too much, hes a pretty hyper chappy and after being out he will take a bit of water.

Despite him doing this hes a cracking dog to have around and would never consider letting him go, hes our family and if we just have to live with this then so be it.

We have just purchased a spray called Get Off, we hope that this will at least help but sometimes he will randomly do it in the middle of the floor so that brings another set of problems.

Any advised or help would be appreciated :-)

Many Thanks

Davie & Sandra

• Like 1
Pawz4me

It may be that he's marking his territory. But it's also possible that he has a urinary tract infection or some other medical issue. I would take him to the vet to be checked out. It will be helpful if you can get a urine sample to bring with you. 

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 5
Sophie's Haven

It sounds to me as if he is marking his territory. It is a new place........I have a male that marks anything that is out of place and like your fellow he may only dribble a few drops or nothing at all. My guy wears a belly band when he is in the house during the day.........he is okay at night without it.......... he just has issues with things being out of place............ Once you have ruled out UTI and end up with no end to the dribbling a belly band is a wonderful thing for all those involved.............they can be purchased but are easy to make yourself.

Edited by Sophie's Haven
  • Like 3
Furr_Ball

Thank you for all the responses, marking his territory is something that has certainly came to mind, but this has been going on for years, every day, so although at the moment everything is new, that will change in time, and when its all familiar to him the peeing wont stop.

A belly band is something we have never heard of this is something we will look into so thank you for suggesting that :-)

Can you tell us more about it please Sophie?

Cheers

Davie & Sandra

Edited by Furr_Ball
  • Like 1
Sophie's Haven

post-42911-0-28384400-1392082727_thumb.jpost-42911-0-69465200-1392082712_thumb.j I make my belly bands.......they are cheaper and more fashionable then the store bought ones. I use Velcro on both ends for closure.........I double my fabric and make a band that goes around the midriff area.........mine are fitted with elastic but you don't need to do that............hope this helps........When Bailey comes in from outside he will walk over to me and turn around  for me to put it on him............

Just be sure to attach the Velcro together before throwing them in the washer as it will help keep the Velcro from picking up any lint during the washing...........

These are old pictures but if you click on the picture it will enlarge for better viewing...............

Edited by Sophie's Haven
  • Like 3
ParadiseTzu

Jeannine - those are so cute. Can you give the dimensions? And the fabric is absorbent enough without anything else in the tinkle area?  I hope I never need them with Willie Boy but I want to be armed with info if so. Thanks in advance!

• Like 2
Marlene

Jeannine - do you have any problem with "diaper rash"?  We "foster failed" with a young Boxer we knew was dying.....he had significant heart disease.  Along with that he had a penis that wouldn't retract, was painful, red and very sore.  I used to put a medicated belly band on him at night, not because he was at all incontinent but because I was trying to sooth his little taliwhacker.  Bo was with us for 8 months and I think I tried every diaper rash cream out there.  

• Like 2
PipsMom

post-42911-0-28384400-1392082727_thumb.jpost-42911-0-69465200-1392082712_thumb.j I make my belly bands.......they are cheaper and more fashionable then the store bought ones. I use Velcro on both ends for closure.........I double my fabric and make a band that goes around the midriff area.........mine are fitted with elastic but you don't need to do that............hope this helps........When Bailey comes in from outside he will walk over to me and turn around  for me to put it on him............

Just be sure to attach the Velcro together before throwing them in the washer as it will help keep the Velcro from picking up any lint during the washing...........

These are old pictures but if you click on the picture it will enlarge for better viewing...............

Brilliant! Just Brilliant

• Like 2
Sophie's Haven

010.thumb.jpg.5f9d413d42850af743d0f98c98 

Hope this gives you an idea.....now a lot will depend on the size of your paw. Bailey is 14 pounds and this size fits him comfortably and I make them fitted but you can just make a band. I  do use a soft cotton wash cloth fold up as a pad to absorb the pee. I have not had any dealings with a rash..........but when he first started wearing them his hair would matt and the groomer I was going to at the time told me to sprinkle the hair with corn starch and comb thru and that would prevent any matting and it worked but since I keep his hair at a 7 blade cut I do not have that problem. One thing if your going to use belly bands they have to be changed often to avoid any problems as urine can burn their skin..........Bailey has his taken off and on a lot thru the day due to the fact that he is always hanging out with me so we are in and out a lot. It is funny how some days he can go all morning with a dry band and other days he is on a marking frenzy. Most of the time it is due to me moving a piece of furniture or leaving a pair of shoes out or when I sort laundry.....I can always account for his wet days..........I guess he is a human perfectionist in a paws body.............I only wish he was able to help me keep things in there proper places............

• Like 4
ParadiseTzu

Thanks very much Jeannine for taking the time to go over the instructions. 

• Like 4
Furr_Ball

Thats great thank you very much for that, we will certainly be looking into this, you have some very cool designs!!

Its pretty funny because in the past 2 days he has not once peed in the house, we are really pleased about that.

His previous home was quite limiting for him because he lived a few floors up and didnt seem very suitable for him, but now with the back garden we just let him out and hes delighted with his new found freedom, independence for the first time.

He is beginning to associate the garden as a place where he can have a pee, but also run about, its great for us to see this :-)

Having said that, its early days we have had the benefit of being of for a week so we have been able to let him out at anytime, we will see how he is when we are away for longer hours.

So far the journey is great!!

Davie & Sandra

• Like 5
Sophie's Haven

That is great news..........but at least now you have some options.............

• Like 2
Marlene

Wonderful news!  He just didn't know how to make proper use of the garden.

• Like 2